The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Any software related topics go in here.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: The Official Android Thread, V2.0

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You know what? I'm not getting any better battery life (from my morning internet news ventures) than I was on Froyo. No jokes, Ryan, this morning, my alarm went off and I snoozed it twice (my phone was on charge the whole night, so lets assume it was fully charged at this point). After THAT, my phone was at 94%. The ONLY thing running was my Wifi, but it wasn't doing anything, it was just connected. After about 25 minutes of facebook/twitter, my battery was at 89%.

I'm on Pays now. Hmmm.

Maybe battery life was always like this, I just wasn't noticing it?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I think that might be the case, haha. Even so, I'm enjoying 2.1 more, I was having endless problems on 2.2 with things like the market not installing apps right away or downloads just hanging or going slowly, now everything is perfect again. Hope HTC releases it soon now...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Awesome. Well let's see how it goes. I've specifically NOT installed any form of battery VALUE indicator, because the moment I know exactly what the percentage is, I start getting anal about usage. So in this situation, ignorance really is bliss :P

Anyway, remember those screen protectors I bought off ebay a week ago? They arrived this morning :| Seriously, one week? How fast is that?!

I haven't put one on yet, I'll do it later. Anahka, should I send one with for you when I send you your pouch? Or have you already bought a protector?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I also ordered a pack of 7 I think, should be here soon. That Zagg Invisible Shield is a total POS! Man I couldn't get it to work properly at all, and it cost so much... :(

Bring on the regular screen protectors and Nexus One pouch! :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahah!

So I put one on now. Oh my gosh, you can't have even the smallest particle of dust under there, because it makes a bubble :| I threw my first one away. The second one is pretty good. It's got one tiny little bubble, and I think i might be able to handle that. Knowing me and my perfectionism, though, this protector will probably be off in about an hour :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hahaha I have the same problem with things being just so... I went through about 3 protectors before I got it perfect on my iPhone.

That's why I hated the Zagg, I just couldn't get it to work nicely, and eventually I lost it and tore the whole thing up! :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahaha!

Well, these were $2, so if I don't come right after 6, I'll just order about 18 of them :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Eish, now I'm tempted to try that LeeDrOiD Mod V1.3. Curse my tinkering ways... :P
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well, do a nandroid backup first and then give it a shot. If you don't like it, just revert to your backup :)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

So you guys might remember i posted about running the android software on my winmo device.
that didn't work so well for me. It did state that it was a pre-alpha.

SO now i am turning to this.
Interested in test driving the latest version of Google's Android OS without buying a new mobile device? Here's how to run Android on your PC for free with the Android SDK Emulator.
Source

think this would work better for me as i can run apps and stuff. test it out :) don't think i can make phone calls though.. lol.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Well, do a nandroid backup first and then give it a shot. If you don't like it, just revert to your backup :)
Yeah can do that. I see he included the wrong version of the divx player so he'll be changing and uploading again, aargh, will wait til then.

Just loaded that super circle battery mod on my Pays-ROM, very cool. :)

Nice DeathStrike, that'll give you a feel of the OS. If you love tech and playing around with software and new mods etc you'll love Android, I'm still really enjoying it... :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

:(

Pays Froyo V1.0

Must.... Resist...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Aargh, it never ends... :D
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Gonne flash this now and see how it is, but so far Pay's ROM's are my favourite, really stable and fast!

Pays-ROM Desire Froyo with HTC Sense v1.0
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hahahah, okay let me know how it goes, Ryan :) Battery life on my current ROM (Pays 2.3) is fine if I don't use it, but not so great when I use it. 30 minutes of web/wifi, 20% battery taken.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Some oh NOooo!! :(
Google has pulled the plug on the Nexus One, its once highly anticipated smartphone. The last shipment has arrived at Google HQ, and once those are gone there will be no more Nexus Ones for U.S. consumers.
Source

and then some OH YESsss!!!!! :D
Would you like to try out apps from the Android Market on your PC? We recently showed you how to run Android in an emulator on your PC, so here’s how you can install apps from the Android Market in the emulator.
Source

Can't wait to try downloading some apps. :)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Hahahah, okay let me know how it goes, Ryan :) Battery life on my current ROM (Pays 2.3) is fine if I don't use it, but not so great when I use it. 30 minutes of web/wifi, 20% battery taken.
Yeah same with me... The new radio I'm using (5.09.00.08) seems to use much less power.

Pays new Sense Froyo is going well, but I'm going to give that "Official" Froyo build by OpenDesire a try because it uses a later Android build, so I'm thinking that combined with the new radio should give very good battery life, or that seems to be what most are experiencing anyway.

Will keep ya updated... :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

What new radio are you using Ryan? I'm still running the one I flashed to when I flashed the first DJ Droid ROM...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Will send you the link later, cos on my phone at the moment, but so far combined with this ROM, battery life is much better it seems...
brabham

Post by brabham »

hmmm wow you guys seem to know quite a bit so I thought I'd ask here, I read above that death strike had trouble with Android on a WinMo device and well I was considering converting my SE X1 onto Android. Just a simple question then, is this a good idea or not? Also what are the chances someone can point me in the direction of the ROM to use?
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Right Ett, so far awesome battery life with this ROM! Plenty of WiFi as well as 3G browsing, some tinkering here and there, some podcasts, since 4pm, and lost 30% now at 10pm. Give it ax try if you like, I think I will stick with this til the official is out... :-)

Here it is, as well as the baseband radio that goes with it...

Link
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

It's always worth a shot brabham. The main problem is the hardware buttons that will be missing. On my phone at the moment but I'll check for some info later regarding loading Android on other devices...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=709146

What do guys think of this root process? Wonder if a goldcard is still needed? Busy reading the thread now...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=709146

What do guys think of this root process? Wonder if a goldcard is still needed? Busy reading the thread now...
Permanent recovery isn't quite my gig :P

Gosh, Ryan :P I was just getting comfy with this ROM :P

Okay, OpenDesire it is :P

By the way, have you guys seen the newest LauncherPro release? LauncherPro is EASILY the best android launcher available, and it's just gotten better. LauncherPro is still free, but you can now buy LauncherPro Plus. I just bought it. Here are the details:
So last week I promised you big news coming to LauncherPro. It took a bit longer than I expected, but hopefully it was worth the wait!

One of the features I get requested the most is to support HTC Sense widgets. It seems everyone wants them. Because of the way these widgets are built into the HTC Sense launcher itself, this is simply not possible. And since not every Android user has a phone with HTC Sense, these widgets are not even available to all users.

Today I’m glad to announce a new milestone in LauncherPro’s history. Starting today, there’s a new version called LauncherPro Plus, which will contain several widgets, exclusive to LauncherPro Plus users.

Upcoming widgets include:

People Widget – To quickly access all your contacts, or just your favorites, or a particular group. (Included in this release)
Bookmarks Widget – Quick access to your browser’s bookmarks
Friends Widget – Lists your friend’s status updates from Facebook and Twitter, and lets you update your own status too.
Calendar/Agenda Widget – Shows you a calendar you can scroll through to switch months, and also lets you see your agenda for any particular day right within the widget.
Messaging – Scroll through a list of your SMS messages or one by one. Quick links to delete messages, reply, etc.
I’ll be adding these widgets over the next couple of weeks. The “People” widget is available right now to LauncherPro Plus users. There’s going to be other features in the future that will be available only to Plus users too.

Here’s a few screenshots of the People widget:

Image Image

More here

While I'm not a fan of big widgets like that, I'm more than happy to buy LauncherPro Plus anyway. This app is easily the best thing that ever happened to Android, IMO, and I'm happy to support the dev :)

By the way, I've made some amazing changes to my phone's configuration. I'm really happy with it now. Very very simple, but I LOVE how clean it looks.

What I've done is Keep my usual dock layout (Phone, Messages, App Drawer, Gmail, Browser), but replaced the icons with a transparent block, which essentially removes icons altogether. Sure, the icons are there, but they're invisible. I know my layout well, though, so I don't need to see the icons. This leaves me with an incredibly clean looking interface, that's still very functional :D Remember my dock?

Well, it's still there, it's just invisible :P Look at this. This is my main home screen:

There's a dock there at the bottom! :D Here it is with some notifications:

Screen to the left. This is my "system" screen. All my wireless, brightness, etc stuff is here:

Screen to the right - Just a facebook Widget, really. The icons along the bottom are also a dock on LauncherPro, that link to various social bookmarks/apps I use regularly.

I'm really really happy with this configuration. I love how clean it is :D
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote: Permanent recovery isn't quite my gig :P
Say what now? Care to elaborate for us n00bs? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.