Win XP Booting Issue

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
doo_much

Win XP Booting Issue

Post by doo_much »

Help please.

I was just handed a WinXP machine that boots to the XP Intro screen and then re-boots itself. Other than memory what else can cause this?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Win XP Booting Issue

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:Help please.

I was just handed a WinXP machine that boots to the XP Intro screen and then re-boots itself. Other than memory what else can cause this?
Corrupted drivers I think. But don't take my word for it.

EDIT: Any sudden BSOD "flash" before rebooting?
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Bladerunner wrote:Any sudden BSOD "flash" before rebooting?
++...

most likely cause is driver/kernel mode fault... hardware generally presents before the HAL initialisation...

silly basic question but have you tried safemode/LKGC?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

XP Intro screen
That loading screen you mean? Could be PSU as well AFAIK. :?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Bladerunner wrote:
doo_much wrote:Help please.

Corrupted drivers I think. But don't take my word for it.

EDIT: Any sudden BSOD "flash" before rebooting?

Indeed- but only when I try to boot into safe mode.
rustypup wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:Any sudden BSOD "flash" before rebooting?
++...

most likely cause is driver/kernel mode fault... hardware generally presents before the HAL initialisation...

silly basic question but have you tried safemode/LKGC?
Tried safe mode and LKGC. Same thing.

Driver/kernel - re-install Windows?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Indeed- but only when I try to boot into safe mode.
That is odd...! Have you tried any other method.

Did this person have anti-virus software of sorts.....I know Norton AV used give BSOD's many moons ago...usually booting into save mode stops some anti-virus programs from running so it is perhaps unlikely that it has a problem with that...

If save mode is not working as well the are numerous causes too many to mention......However the most common cause of most failed booting into windows is a virus that have infected system files and disabled save mode from booting.

Next time you boot press F8 and disable restart and check what the BSOD's shows google the error code if no clear indication appears as to what the problem might be.Usually it would show which driver or hardware conflict it has some times, other times it is useless information....

If it still restarts even when selecting "disable restart" you might have a hardware related problem.....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

wizardofid wrote: If it still restarts even when selecting "disable restart" you might have a hardware related problem.....
Did that and it still reboots so I'm assuming hardware. :?

I'll inform the client - we've already swopped RAM - that there are really nice specials on cheapies at MatrixWarehouse... :whistling:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well Check the PSU as well via the bios.....if it allows it.Scan disk the HDD.If possible to rule out hardware of software related problems install a HDD with windows XP on it already, pre-installed XP might also give you a blue screen but a 50/50 shot....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

wizardofid wrote:Well Check the PSU as well via the bios.....if it allows it.Scan disk the HDD.If possible to rule out hardware of software related problems install a HDD with windows XP on it already, pre-installed XP might also give you a blue screen but a 50/50 shot....
Thanks for the advice Wiz, but honestly I don't really feel like putting time into someone else's doorstop. Time is money?

As I said - I swopped the RAM and that's about as far as I'm willing to go for an acquitance's son. Was hoping for a quick fix like a re-install or something. :?

By the way, this is what it looked like when it arrived this morning....

Someone told the lad that PCs run faster the cooler they get. :roll:

I'm not the right guy to explain the true state of things.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Lol @ pic :)

What model HDD does it have? Had a customer yesterday with a year old Seagte 7200.11 model that gives BSOD's randomly, though its firmware seems to be ok. I seem to have fixed it by installing and updating AVG free, running scandisk, putting the stick of ram in another slot, reconnecting everything and cleaning the box out.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

lol disconnect all the unneeded fans I am sure the +12v will bounce back in normal ranges.....My bet is prolonged stress on the PSU what is the wattage.I see this a 478 board at least 6 years old if not more....... my guess would be 300 to 400 range psu?

The only thing cooling to a optimal working temp is going to do is theoretically lessen memory read/write errors per clock cycle...but no physical performance increases
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Wiz, yep. 300W.

Thanks. I unplugged his fans and on the 3rd try the machine booted successfully. I'll leave it be for a while and repeat a bit later, just to make sure.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

So now we know it is the PSU.Might as well tell him to replace it as it will fail sooner or later.
3ddy

Post by 3ddy »

there are also some useful programs that you can use to create bootable cds for testing hardware
try downloading a program called PE Builder
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks 3ddy, but wiz's PSU comment was spot-on. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
3ddy

Post by 3ddy »

no problem
now you know of another tool to help with trouble shooting future problems