Voltage Woes

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
Augur

Voltage Woes

Post by Augur »

Hello Everybody

Firstly I must apologise for my absence.... But I come seeking advice from my fellow forumites.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35DS3R
Processor: Intel E6550
PSU: Gigabyte Odin 550W
Vcore: 2.14v ----> What?

No matter how hard I try I can't get the Vcore under 2V. I've tried every BIOS settings there is and I still get an incorrect reading. Even with everything set to Manual or Auto. (The value is the same in the BIOS, using Speed fan, Hardware Monitor and about 10 other Monitoring utilities that have been recommended to me.)
And no, my CPU does not overheat. (This leads me to believe the reading is incorrect as I'm pretty sure a Vcore of +1.1V should make the CPU nice and toasty)

Please could somebody enlighten me as to whether this is a problem with the motherboard or CPU. I can possibly replace either one but not both and I don't have the means to swap them out as a test. (I know if it aint broke don't fix it but I can't OC when I can't get accurate readings) --> Unplanned upgrades would lead to no PC at all :cry:

Thanks in advance for the Help
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Voltage Woes

Post by KALSTER »

Have you tried updating the BIOS? Remember to reset it to standard settings before updating.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Augur

Post by Augur »

KALSTER wrote:Have you tried updating the BIOS? Remember to reset it to standard settings before updating.
Oops, Forgot to mention that :)

I've recently updated the BIOS but I can't recall resetting beforehand... Would this be a problem? I think the settings were pretty standard though - no OC or anyting.

Another thing I've done to try and remedy this is to replace the PSU and it made no difference.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I think the reset is just to help ensure a successful flash, but your system is working so I guess that is not the problem. :? I have heard of sensors stop working before and being cited as a hardware fault. Maybe your sensors are simply broken?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Augur

Post by Augur »

KALSTER wrote:I think the reset is just to help ensure a successful flash, but your system is working so I guess that is not the problem. :? I have heard of sensors stop working before and being cited as a hardware fault. Maybe your sensors are simply broken?
I'm guessing that's the case because I don't seem to have any other problems. Now as for the sensors, I assume the only way to resolve this would be a new motherboard? Replacing the CPU won't help?

PS: I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade my CPU :twisted: And I have to run the excuse by the girlfriend first :roll:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Your sensor might be faulty. Even on LN2 2.1v wouldn't be safe whatsoever.