470GTX review - July mag

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

470GTX review - July mag

Post by StarBound »

I looked at the comments and saw it says it beats the radeon 5870. BEATS THE 5870? Looked at the benchmarks and it shows that it does beat the games used for the benchmark. So my question has to be is this review legit? It isnt bias in anyway and selectively picked the games that run better on nvidia cards whiles the 5870 does indeed blow the card out of the water? Because it wasnt a month or 2 ago at the release of the new nvidia cards that the 470GTX was barely beating the 5850.

So whats the new found source of the 470gtx improved performace? Overclocking or improved drivers?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: 470GTX review - July mag

Post by KALSTER »

Sponsorship scandal! :P
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I point you HERE

Could also not believe that the 470 beats the 5870 when I read it... :!:
At best the 470GTX competes with the HD5850 IMHO.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Howdy y'all

I responded to a reader query about this issue just yesterday and will paste my response. The notion that the review is sponsored is obviously preposterous for so many legitimate reasons not to mention a complete lack of any commercial presence by NVIDIA in PCF globally let alone South Africa where they don't even have an office. Since the review was from purchased UK content we can't replicate it exactly. What we can do is put our 470gtx up against a 5870 with the same games and see if they made a booboo (which I sincerely doubt). Response to follow.

Thanks for the heads up and you definitely don’t need to apologise for challenging us, we expect it and hope for it!

There are many sites to back you up on this one but please allow me some explanation for the disparity.

First and foremost, our review is based on the actual results we achieved (or in this case our UK team). I will consent that the reviewer placed a strong emphasis on tessellation, a technology that has been touted with changing the way games are rendered and something that the 470 is physically better equipped to do. Before DirectX11 tessellation was done by the CPU and as you may have noticed all the games we used where very new whereas many of the online reviews revert back to older titles such as Crysis which can’t take full advantage of the 470. I also suspect many of the online reviewers were using the beta Fermi drivers which were notoriously slow.

That said, ATi also take there sweet time in tweaking their software and the 5870 may just rise up again – we can only make a call based on our benchmarks. I think what is fair to say is that the cards are very close in most regards with the 470 having an advantage in newer titles while the 5870’s brute force is better for everything else. If you are up in JHB I would love to have you visit with your 5870 and we can do another battery of benchmarks with the new drivers. (the guy had a 5870)

That's the end of my response but I would just like to emphasize one point. While I intend to verify the UK's results; I have no doubts that Dave based his review on the results he achieved, we can hardly change our outcomes based on other media sources and even if we are the only title on the planet saying the 470 is faster (albeit on DX11), if its the truth it stays!

Thanks for the patience in all this and for being so informed and proactive - you guys do me proud; if we get different results I will be sure to print a retraction and if any of you would like be part of the testing let me know and I can set-up a date.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Oooh oooh..... I would like to be part of the testing... Sponsor me a couple of GPU's and I'd be at your offices in a blink of an eye :twisted:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The notion that the review is sponsored is obviously preposterous
Just to be clear, I was joking.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Oooh oooh..... I would like to be part of the testing... Sponsor me a couple of GPU's and I'd be at your offices in a blink of an eye :twisted:
GPUs very rarely stay put at the office. The suppliers usually ask for them back

*I hit edit instead of quote :oops: how embarrassing
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

KillerByte wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Oooh oooh..... I would like to be part of the testing... Sponsor me a couple of GPU's and I'd be at your offices in a blink of an eye :twisted:
GPUs very rarely stay put at the office. The suppliers usually ask for them back

*I hit edit instead of quote :oops: how embarrassing
Now that sux...Oh that is why you are not biased. IF the cards were to stay put you would be more inclined towards the manufacturer/supplier.....makes since now. But you could leave the card with me. Seeing as I am not the one writing the review.... I can be biased all I want :P
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

KALSTER wrote:
Obviously :mrgreen:
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Nab wrote:
KALSTER wrote:
Obviously :mrgreen:
....but still... :)

I'd still go for the Ati cards though due to the favourable price/performance ratio. I am just a tad worried about tessellation performance when future games start to employ it more extensively.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Nab wrote: <snip>
That said, ATi also take there sweet time in tweaking their software and the 5870 may just rise up again
</snip>
tsk tsk, PCF Ed?

My minute contribution to the mag :P (If you haven't already gone to print)

/nazi

On topic.
If all titles used in the test were newer titles making use of tessellation, chances are the results are sound. It will be interesting to see the verification results though.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Eeek on the spelling; despite her lack of involvement, I will flog my sub-editor with the latest hard-cover issue of Mein Spelling Nazi. To be honest its worse than just the spelling, companies are only entitled to singular pronouns anyway - its a forum, watchagonnado :oops: ?

Moving on, I just chatted to Dave and he has confirmed that drivers were indeed a factor. He says the catalysts at the time where slow and as new benchmarks can attest, the ATi is generally faster when it comes to brute force computing and at higher resolutions - although several tasks still favour the 470. I will be printing a revised review based on new benchmarks and a new score in the August issue but I wouldn't bank on the shift being dramatic to the extent that the 5870 advocates might hope. The 470 still contends with the 5870 in our books and not the 5850 with the benchmark scores sitting at 8:0 - 470 beats 5850 and 5:4 - 5870 beats beats 470.

Massive disclaimer for the above: we have yet to do our own benchmarking and things could still swing either way. We will update you the second we have the cards and benchmark results! :mrgreen:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Thanks. I couldn't find any online sources claiming the 470GTX victory over the 5870. The only article I saw was that the new geforce drivers increases the 470/480 by 4-25% and no benchmarks has yet backed it up. All others shows the 5970 > 480 > 5870 > 470 > 5850. But if that is the case with the 470GTX beating the 5870 then what is the 480GTX doing to the 5970 with the new drivers?

Maybe you could entitle the August mag as "DRIVERS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!". The SA PFC cover can have 2 taxi's, one red and one green, racing each other :D
My Steam Screenshots

alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

StarBound wrote:...Maybe you could entitle the August mag as "DRIVERS MAKE A DIFFERENCE!". The SA PFC cover can have 2 taxi's, one red and one green, racing each other :D
Brilliant! :mrgreen:
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I tried the odd thing and looked at specs. All those benchmarks were run at 2500x1900 (that rez up there) so I figured that the memory bit size might have made a difference at higher resolutions but I still couldnt find anything concrete saying the 470gtx is faster than the 5870.
My Steam Screenshots

ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Terrible review... Gah.