How to unlock a phone's SIM Lock?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DAE_JA_VOO

How to unlock a phone's SIM Lock?

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

How's it guys :)

Our domestic worker found a Samsung D900i lying on the side of the road. So SIM, no nothing. So I had a look at it to see if I could get it working for her, and it's got a lock on the phone. Once I enter the SIM card PIN, it asks me for a phone code.

Now, I don't know what that number is, and I tried all the usual numbers, but none worked. Any idea how I could unlock this phone?

Thanks!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: How to unlock a phone's SIM Lock?

Post by Monty »

it will be the phone's security code - so 5 digits
so you only have 9999 combinations to go (I'm assuming you've tried 12345?)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Well in all likely hood the phone has been stolen and ditched.The phone may also have been black listed which would open a can of worms.Which means your domestic worker will get into loads of trouble if it has been listed.

Google for flashing the phone completely and assigning a different phone iemi number http://www.cellular.co.za/ieminumbers.htm

some info to changing that
http://www.gsm-forum.eu/samsung/3378-sa ... hange.html

Some more info
http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1157121.htm

Other than that hand in the phone at a police station.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

is it really that easy to change a phone's IEMI number? what the point of reporting your phone stolen then?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Insurance purposes. AFAIK, You need a case number to claim insurance on a stolen phone
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Found it lying next to the side of the road?

Haha I'll believe that when me s*i* turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet :lol:
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Studio Touch Visagie

Post by Studio Touch Visagie »

I suggest you take it to your nearest police station. If a stolen car was parked outside your house you wouldn't just get in and drive to the mall.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

If you found a R100 note in the street, I'm pretty sure you'd keep it.
Studio Touch Visagie

Post by Studio Touch Visagie »

Monty wrote:If you found a R100 note in the street, I'm pretty sure you'd keep it.
Not quite the same because it cannot be practically tracked to a crime unless it was part of a set-up where the bill number was recorded. I would immediately buy ice cream with it from the bicycle ice cream seller
Prime

Post by Prime »

Studio Touch Visagie wrote:I suggest you take it to your nearest police station. If a stolen car was parked outside your house you wouldn't just get in and drive to the mall.
If It has the original simcard you can take it to a service providers outlet and they can have the sim unlocked so you can contact the owner. I've done this before.

The police are likely to pocket it. :|

Et, unlock the phone and dig up the phonebook, Most phones store the numbers on the memory card or internal memory and not the sim these days.
Studio Touch Visagie wrote:
Monty wrote:If you found a R100 note in the street, I'm pretty sure you'd keep it.
Not quite the same because it cannot be practically tracked to a crime unless it was part of a set-up where the bill number was recorded. I would immediately buy ice cream with it from the bicycle ice cream seller
:eyebrow:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ADV4NCED wrote:Found it lying next to the side of the road?

Haha I'll believe that when me s*i* turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet :lol:
Well, what's the alternative? That she stole it? I don't believe for a second that she stole this phone.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I told her to take it to a police station and not hang on to it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Studio Touch Visagie wrote:
I have to ask, is your other nick on this forum Killer_Byte? Seem to remember him buying ice-cream with his petrol money... :whistling: :P

You did the right thing DJV, if she held onto it and it was tracked somehow life would get ugly fast. Although the person could have ditched it because those phones had a habit of breaking when you least want it to...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

Well, what's the alternative? That she stole it? I don't believe for a second that she stole this phone.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I told her to take it to a police station and not hang on to it.
I wouldnt have done that, "Optel goed is vat goed"
Dont tell me the police is going to give it back to the person who it belongs to, especially not a cellphone.

If your domestic worker can make use of the phone , i say why not!. Its not like she stole it or bought it knowingly it belongs to someone.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:

Who knows mate, just saying

I've had the exact same thing with a guy that worked for us, he claimed he bought it second hand and it was locked exactly like you've said her phone was locked.

Not saying she did steal it (although it probably is a stolen phone one way or the other) - often seems to be the case in africa
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DeeVeeDee wrote:Dont tell me the police is going to give it back to the person who it belongs to, especially not a cellphone.
How is that relevant? The fact that the phone will possibly get stolen AFTER I hand it in isn't justification not to give it in. Honestly, I didn't think at all about handing it in at first. I just wanted to fix it and give her a new phone, but after posting this topic, I thought about it and came to realise that keeping the phone wasn't the best thing to do.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Possession is nine tenths of the law... :P

Nah, was probably best not to keep it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
DeeVeeDee wrote:Dont tell me the police is going to give it back to the person who it belongs to, especially not a cellphone.
How is that relevant? The fact that the phone will possibly get stolen AFTER I hand it in isn't justification not to give it in. Honestly, I didn't think at all about handing it in at first. I just wanted to fix it and give her a new phone, but after posting this topic, I thought about it and came to realise that keeping the phone wasn't the best thing to do.
Hence my suggestion to get it unlocked and first see if you can find contact information for the original owner. Then you can return it to them directly :)
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

If i had to loose my phone and someone returns it...... Ok i see yes you are right.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡