Linux + Hauppage Remote

Any software related topics go in here.
CranialBlaze

Linux + Hauppage Remote

Post by CranialBlaze »

I currently have a Win7 machine running as a media server/MCE machine with my Huappage remote control.

Getting bored and was looking at moving over to linux just to mess around, its also my download PC and on 24/7.

I did some checking around and it looks like its possible to have full green button support using linux, but i was looking for some help or maybe links to guides that you guys have used to actually achieve this. The pc is linked up tot he main house TV for the MCE capabilities and used more by my mother than me in the watching department.

I will be using it for downloading using sabnzbd and some torrent client (not essential), i just need it to be able to facilitate the same function with the green button as in windows, so if i close the media client, i know media portal works with linux, then it re-launches at the push of the green button.

I spotted something online and it looks like ubuntu+mythtv+linux mce should do the trick, but i am not to keen on formatting that machine unless i know its closer to certainty than possibility.

Also i have never tried, but how easy would the whole networking thing be between the new linux machine and my current win7 setup as i use mapped network drives to access all the video files stored on that machine.

Thanks a lot guys
Life - The Longest Game you will EVER Play