Blackberry I'm Confused

Network problem solving and tweaks
DeeVeeDee

Blackberry I'm Confused

Post by DeeVeeDee »

I trying to give the Blackberry Enterprise Express server a go.
You get 2 free licenses when, you download it i think they last for 30Days or so.

Before i even attempt to install it.
How exactly does it work ???
Cus i'm under the impression it doesnt actually work via normal internet ? It works via GSM or something.
The more i read about it, it sound like its it in fact just normal TCP connections transfering the mail to your exchange server.
Via a Edge/3G/HSDPA .....

So now it makes me wonder how is blackberry different to POP3/SMTP or an exchange connection Via VPN ? besides(Push notifications)
And if i get to install this do i have to involve vodacom somehow ?
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Blackberry I'm Confused

Post by Stuart »

Do you have BIS on your contract atm?
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Probably not :-) Whats BIS ?

Oh Blackberry Internet service no i dont, but our MD does so i can use his phone to play with.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Are you doing this for yourself or for a company? If for yourself, you don't need BES, just activate the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) through your network provider and you get unlimited internet on your phone, including emails etc (whether pushed or gmail etc).

If you have BIS activated and you're setting up a couple of users on a small business server, download the recently released BES Express. It's a free version of BES that I installed from RIM on our server at work (only 12 of us in the office, all using BBs). Very easy to install using the provided guides and easy to maintain. Using that you can synchronise email, contacts and appointments from your server to your device. BIS on the other hand requires your server to push mail deliver email to a third party email address (i.e. user@mtn.blackberry.com) and then the device fetches from that address, whereas BES is true push.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Jonboy wrote:Are you doing this for yourself or for a company? If for yourself, you don't need BES, just activate the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) through your network provider and you get unlimited internet on your phone, including emails etc (whether pushed or gmail etc).

If you have BIS activated and you're setting up a couple of users on a small business server, download the recently released BES Express. It's a free version of BES that I installed from RIM on our server at work (only 12 of us in the office, all using BBs). Very easy to install using the provided guides and easy to maintain. Using that you can synchronise email, contacts and appointments from your server to your device. BIS on the other hand requires your server to push mail deliver email to a third party email address (i.e. user@mtn.blackberry.com) and then the device fetches from that address, whereas BES is true push.
Its for the company not for my self.
Ive learnt a very hard lesson with DynDNS , SMTP and open relays on mobile phones

So now im kind of forced to go Blackberry but i still need to figure out if it will work for us with our current infrastructure.

I'm installing BES now as we speak.and attached my mail box from AD to it will see what happens next.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Either way, I think you'll have to involve your service provider, so yes, you'll probably need to contact Vodacom.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

also be aware that BES doesn't plug neatly into NTLM, so you're going to have to have static passwords for any account added to the service.. or you get to enjoy resetting locked accounts a little more than is strictly enjoyable...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

rustypup wrote:also be aware that BES doesn't plug neatly into NTLM, so you're going to have to have static passwords for any account added to the service.. or you get to enjoy resetting locked accounts a little more than is strictly enjoyable...
I prefer this cus , I have set our ad to use Max password age of 14 days, min 6 chars and mandatory special characters and it remembers the last 5 passwords.
So its going to be a problem changing the password and it will probably also often lock the account.