Help with article from issue 158

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
wild73

Help with article from issue 158

Post by wild73 »

Hey hey.
I been buying the mag for ages, (diggin it) and today while having an online chat with a mate in Eastern Europe, we got into discussing GFX Cards.
I wanted to send him the article on the Asus 5830, (I was punting the 5850 i bought earlier this year) so instead of scanning and sending him the article, I thought I could just send him a link to the online article.
So I diligently looked up the site, and to my dismay, this is not the case.
So having registered here, is there anyway that this is possible or not??

Thanks in advance
doo_much

Re: Help with article from issue 158

Post by doo_much »

No, it isn't possible.
And scanning and mailing it will probably stuff up some kind of copyright law so don't tell us when you done it.

Oh, and welcome. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

We do not currently distribute the print articles online.

The reason for this is there are copyright issues surrounding certain content in the magazine.

PS. your siganture is too big and too heavy. please take a look at the guidelines
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KillerByte wrote: PS. your siganture is too big and too heavy. please take a look at the guidelines
+1

Please correct it or we will nuke it for you.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Way to welcome the new guy Ratso. :|

This isn't the welcome thread!
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
wild73

Post by wild73 »

KillerByte wrote:
PS. your siganture is too big and too heavy. please take a look at the guidelines

+1

Please correct it or we will nuke it for you.
There, this is the smallest that I have been able to make it. 450x150 - 76kb.
If you think that you can make it smaller, pls feel free.

Spoiler (show)
http://photoserver.ws/images/a3vS4b4445d1f3041.png
Way to welcome the new guy Ratso. :|
Yea, and a crappy way to make an old reader and new member feel welcome :|
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

wild73 wrote:Yea, and a crappy way to make an old reader and new member feel welcome :|
Guess you just joined at the wrong time. We've been having issues with overweight sigs lately and are taking a firm stance on it atm.

^^ There, use that one.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Stuart wrote:
wild73 wrote:Yea, and a crappy way to make an old reader and new member feel welcome :|
Guess you just joined at the wrong time. We've been having issues with overweight sigs lately and are taking a firm stance on it atm.

^^ There, use that one.
Sturat - weight watchers for sigs :lol:
wild73

Post by wild73 »

^^ There, use that one.
Thanks for the mod on my siggy, it now conforms to the demands of the great PC Format Forum, o Lord and Master.

Sentence deleted. - The Rat

Guess that I am just used to not worrying about speed and content, (spend a lot of time abroad), and to date all other forums I am subscribed to have had no qualms with the size of my siggy.

P.S. RE: The WUG article in this month's edition.
Do you guy's think it is a viable option for "online multiplayer" type gaming, and if so how to go about setting it up.

Thanks

You're really not going to make any friends here by flaunting the rules. Please head here and read them. And I am not the Lord and Master of PCF. That would be Lance. You don't want to run afoul of him. - The Rat
Last edited by Stuart on 05 May 2010, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rule 2: "Do not try and slip some profanity in by changing the spelling or using special characters."
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Sorry wild73, but as Staurt said we have to take a firm stance. In my personal capacity I would love larger heavier sigs because it would give the guys more freedom sadly 56k users would feel the pain and we don't want to alienate anyone.

Did not mean to come off as being rude. I am sorry if I did.

Regarding the WUG article, try getting on to the wug.za.net IRC channels and chatting to the guys there. They are all very helpful and will be able to help you. Just remember that the WUGs do not have internet access so online gaming
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

wild73, you are very welcome here, I hope you enjoy your stay.

This forum is vastly different from most others, the forum content is carefully looked at with regard to obscenity and swearing. However most of us here are adults and we do not go overboard, I have realised that the youngsters on this forum know far more about the dark side than I do.

We do this because we are representing PCFormat here, they would take umbrage at their reputation being sullied.

Enough lecture, welcome, go to the new members thread and introduce yourself.

Lord, Master and Commander!
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

KillerByte wrote:Sorry wild73, but as Staurt said we have to take a firm stance. In my personal capacity I would love larger heavier sigs because it would give the guys more freedom sadly 56k users would feel the pain and we don't want to alienate anyone.
Who the [bleep] still uses 56k? I don't know a single person.

Besides, the sigs are stored in cache anyway. Users only need to load it once and you guys aren't even hosting in SA anymore so bandwidth can't be as big a problem.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Prime

Post by Prime »

Bladerunner wrote:
KillerByte wrote:Sorry wild73, but as Staurt said we have to take a firm stance. In my personal capacity I would love larger heavier sigs because it would give the guys more freedom sadly 56k users would feel the pain and we don't want to alienate anyone.

Besides, the sigs are stored in cache anyway. Users only need to load it once and you guys aren't even hosting in SA anymore so bandwidth can't be as big a problem.
There are plenty of us using cellphones with 3g for daytime browsing
wild73

Post by wild73 »

Bladerunner wrote:
KillerByte wrote:
Sorry wild73, but as Staurt said we have to take a firm stance. In my personal capacity I would love larger heavier sigs because it would give the guys more freedom sadly 56k users would feel the pain and we don't want to alienate anyone.

There are plenty of us using cellphones with 3g for daytime browsing
I may be wrong here, but surely when browsing this forum from a mobile phone, the content and layout are configured for that format, and things like siggy's, avatars etc are disabled.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

wild73 wrote:I may be wrong here, but surely when browsing this forum from a mobile phone, the content and layout are configured for that format, and things like siggy's, avatars etc are disabled.
You'd think so, but Ron has a moral issue with mobile versions of the forum. Or at least we think so, because he won't listen to use phone users asking him to investigate one.

In short, no, there is no mobile version of the forum. On your phone it looks the same as it does on your PC.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I can attest to that - being a regular phone browser. The looong sigs you see here - are the loooong sigs I see on my phone. Thank goodness for Blackberry browsing.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So why not just disable sigs and avvies in your profile? It makes reading the forum way easier.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
wild73

Post by wild73 »

MMMMMMMM bit odd this????
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I think the reason is there isn't a nice phpBB plugin for wap.

A few of the forumites have been playing around with different wap versions of different sites, but none are really nice
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.