ATTN: McAfee users

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

ATTN: McAfee users

Post by Ron2K »

Slashdot wrote:Kohenkatz writes
"A McAfee Update today (DAT 5958) incorrectly identifies svchost.exe, a critical Windows executable, as a virus and tries to remove it, causing endless reboot loops."
Reader jswackh adds this terse description: "So far the fixes are sneakernet only. An IT person will have to touch all affected PCs. Reports say that it quarantines SVCHOST. [Affected computers] have no network access, and missing are taskbar/icons/etc. Basically non-functioning. Windows 7 seems to be unaffected." Updated 20100421 20:08 GMT by timothy: An anonymous reader points out this easy-to-follow fix for the McAfee flub.
Source

Oh dear... :lol:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: ATTN: McAfee users

Post by ryanrich »

Useless product... :lol:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Slashdot wrote:An IT person will have to touch all affected PCs.
Oh really now?
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

#epicfail
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

*sigh* My new laptop comes with a 15 month Mcafee fail.

Format...reinstall.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Frozenfireside wrote:*sigh* My new laptop comes with a 15 month Mcafee fail.

Format...reinstall.
That would be sound advice even before this thread.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Yup, affected our corporation this morning.
People logging calls because their PC was infected and restarting itself.
Quite bad actually.
When users booted up this morning they had just enough time to open a few office documents and emails before McAfee updated itself and then saw the deadly svhost.exe virus in the Windows32 folder and attempted to 'clean' it and restart the pc. If they didn't know the abort shutdown command they sat there and watched their pcs restart.
We have endless trouble with McAfee here. *grinds teeth*
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I smell a lawsuit...
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Wait, people still use McAfee?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Wait, people still use McAfee?
++
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Wait, people still use McAfee?
You would be amazed at how many medium to enterprise-sized companies do....
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Do the Scottish have a soft spot for it? Dunno. Anyway I´m going to get my Kaspersky asap.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Thats why i set my anti-virus to ask for my permission to do anything to any virus it finds so that i can check it first. :)
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

DeathStrike wrote:Thats why i set my anti-virus to ask for my permission to do anything to any virus it finds so that i can check it first. :)
That's fantastic chief, but in the corporate environment, if you leave it up to the end user to decide when to use their AV you would go bankrupt from loss of productivity due to viruses in a month...

I don't think any home users with more than 1 functioning braincell are using McAfee these days anyway.

Funny, none of our clients with McAfee have complained as yet - I suppose being terribly slack at updating our clients AV has finally paid off :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote: Funny, none of our clients with McAfee have complained as yet - I suppose being terribly slack at updating our clients AV has finally paid off :lol:
Would you be sent to fix the problem? Cos I might choose a BSOD over that myself.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:
jamin_za wrote: Funny, none of our clients with McAfee have complained as yet - I suppose being terribly slack at updating our clients AV has finally paid off :lol:
Would you be sent to fix the problem? Cos I might choose a BSOD over that myself.
Sending me to fix an antivirus stuff-up would be like bringing an F-22 to a kite show :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

jamin_za wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Sending me to fix an antivirus stuff-up would be like bringing an F-22 to a kite show :P
aaaahahahahaha! :lol:

Our internal IT guys were around here yesterday looking very worried and checking all users for any issues. I see the update wasn't rolled out to any of our servers as a precaution.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Yeah what a lulz, read about it on fin24 yesterday :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Prime

Post by Prime »

Trend Micro TOTW wrote:
TDSS: The invisible threat

The name ‘TDSS’ was derived from a string that was consistently seen in the dropped component files and registry entries of early TDSS variants. Later variants feature random strings, further adding to detection difficulties.
The make-up of early TDSS

Earlier TDSS variants consisted of three main components: a dropper, a rootkit component, and a .DLL file which performed the final payload. Later variants were found to be standalone .EXE files, which executed the same routine.
The three stages of a classic TDSS attack
Stage one:

Upon execution, TDSS drops a .TMP file. The file, whose file name varies, performs the initial installation of all other malicious components.

Installation begins by the malware registering itself as a system service. To do this, the dropped .TMP file copies a legitimate Microsoft Windows .DLL file and modifies it to load the .TMP file. It then exploits a vulnerability on the Microsoft Windows ‘Known DLLs’ list to add the previously modified DLL into the list of .DLL files to be loaded into memory.

Once completed, the MSISERVER service is restarted to load the modified DLL, thus effectively registering the dropped .TMP file as a system service. Once loaded into memory, the .TMP file creates the file %System%drivers/TDSSserv.sys. This serves as the rootkit component that hides the malicious files and processes.
Stage two:

The TDSS rootkit component hooks functions in the kernel that allows it to hide files, registry entries, and processes. It also terminates certain processes, specifically those related to antivirus programs.

In simple terms, TDSS fools the system into thinking the malware is just any other normal process, and then creates a rootkit component that hides all evidence of it doing so.
Stage three:

Once the rootkit component has been deployed, it drops a .DLL file into the %System% folder. The file is injected into SVCHOST.EXE, during which it downloads more component files from the Internet.

Downloaded component files include configuration files containing commands to execute, plus URLs for downloading more files from. It performs both HTTP GET and HTTP POST requests from and to these URLs, saving downloaded files in the affected system.

The downloaded files contain commands that can be executed by a remote user on the affected system, including:
Check command version
Display popup advertisements
Download other files (other DLL files and updated copy of TDSSserv.sys)
Load certain modules from downloaded .DLL files
Prevent programs, mostly antivirus applications, from running on the affected system
Set command delay
Upload log files (error logs, list of processes, OS version)
Same threat – different commands

As different content is downloaded from different URLs, it is possible for the executed commands to differ from one system to another. The nature of executed commands may also depend on what particular malware is using TDSS as a component.
A constantly evolving threat

New variants of TDSS malware modify the ATAPI.SYS file, Microsoft’s .SYS file for standard integrated development environment (IDE)/Enhanced Small Device Interface (ESDI) hard disk controller, instead of dropping its own SYS components. Other files that TDSS variants patch are IASTOR.SYS and NVSTOR32.SYS.
TrendLabs investigates…

This February, a Microsoft security update for Windows - patch MS10-015 - became the cause of a series of blue screen crashes. An entry on the official Microsoft Blog was published soon after, announcing that the distribution of the Windows Update was suspended. However, the company also issued a statement that the cause of the BSoD error may have been malware related.

During analysis, Trend Micro TrendLabs engineers found that TROJ_TDSS.AJD patches atapi.sys, which turns the .SYS file into a rootkit detected as TROJ_TDSS.SME. This caused updated systems to crash after installing the security update.
Now stealthier than ever

Arriving as an encrypted file with anti-debugging routines, efforts to evade detection begin immediately. Through code swinging, the malware uses several call instructions to jump to different locations in order to confuse analysts reading the code.

TDSS also prevents immediate full analysis by hiding its code. Some variants have been found to have multiple encryption layers, requiring the malware code to be decrypted part by part. This prevents analysts from seeing the entire main algorythm.
The root of the problem?

Security analysts consider the component of TDSS that keeps them in the dark is the rootkit. By disabling this, all malicious files, processes, and components are placed into view, making analysis easier to conduct.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_installer.htm. Windows Installer Service. Microsoft Service Description: Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi) package.
Bold Bit sounds like what McAfee users are experiencing :? Except that the windows update mentioned occurred in Feb :?: