"Uncapped" Offerings Feedback

Network problem solving and tweaks
SykomantiS

Re: "Uncapped" Offerings Feedback

Post by SykomantiS »

:x 10 meg line? :cry: I want.

Ok, On topic.
I'm on Afrihost 512 uncapped.
Much to my surprise, I've moved just over 14GB for the month of April. I've not yet run into any throttling or shaping (that I'm aware of, it may be there, and I wouldn't know if it stared me in the face- I'm not familiar with it)- as Stuart suggested will happen when I hit 10GB.

Pretoria server:
The Cape town server responds about identical, 'cept it shows 62ms ping

Midrand server:
Same with Durban sever, again, shows bit higher ping at 69ms

Brussels, Belgium:

And pingtest.net, to a Pta server:

I don't know if running the test multiple times has any effect on the outcome. For what it's worth, each test was run only once (to each server, that is), in order: Pta, Midrand, CT, DBN, Brussels, pingtest.

I didn't think I'll hit these types of capacities (speaking of the 14gig downloading), so I'm not overly worried about their FUP. But, I'll have to keep an eye out, it seems.

Regarding service and connection/uptime, no hassles whatsoever. Torrents are a bit slow at times, (I didn't actually notice the times, but I would guess during daytime). For the most part I can download at around 40KB/s, whilst torrenting and streaming radio via Winamp (shoutcast), with only occasional buffering in the audio stream- and then only when other members of the household are also using the net. Youtube doesn't fare that well, even if it's the only thing asking for bandwidth, buffering is the norm, rather than the exception. I don't really care for it anyway, so meh.

Thus far I have to say my experience has been a pleasant one, much to my surprise, if I read what other members have to say.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

10 Mbps line? Nice. What ISP you going for to make advantage of the speed?
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

SykomantiS wrote::x 10 meg line? :cry: I want.

Ok, On topic.
Much to my surprise, I've moved just over 14GB for the month of April. I've not yet run into any throttling or shaping (that I'm aware of, it may be there, and I wouldn't know if it stared me in the face- I'm not familiar with it)- as Stuart suggested will happen when I hit 10GB.

Thus far I have to say my experience has been a pleasant one, much to my surprise, if I read what other members have to say.
I read that the 512kbps gets hit at 15GBs. so you should get a taste soon.... Sorry to ruin your day.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DeathStrike wrote:
SykomantiS wrote::x 10 meg line? :cry: I want.

Ok, On topic.

I read that the 512kbps gets hit at 15GBs. so you should get a taste soon.... Sorry to ruin your day.
Ja, 384 lines get shaped at 10GB; 512 lines at 15GB.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, when it does (or doesn't) happen, I'll let you know.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Uncapped MWeb vs Capped Webafrica

Torrent speed on both are pretty slow during the day. No reason for the Webafrica to be slow.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I don't know quite what to make of this :lol:

Anyways, I've hit just over 17GB on my 512 line,
^^ which is why that is funny. Near as I can tell, I've not noticed any decrease in speed (cept that insanely low ping) but my sister is busy doing whatever now, so when I have the line to myself again I'll run a test again to see what's cooking.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Afrihost? They seem to have sorted out issues over the last few days. Not sure for how long it will last, because they still haven't made any official announcements. There was some indication that all speeds would be throttled at 30GB, but I see that they have actually offically updated their site with the earlier mentioned throttling/shaping protocols. Until we get some feedback on MyBB, no one quite knows what's happening, but everyone seems to be back at full speed for now.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Afrihost, yes. Suits me just fine. If it does drop, I'll yell.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Okay, Mweb uncapped is definitely not for for web developers. I'm trying to FTP sermon files (approx 10MB each) to our website and they're running at 2.59 KB/s. It's been doing this consistently for around a month now. :(
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I took the plunge 90 minutes after MWEB launched their uncapped offering and I have not looked back.

That being said I have noticed that torrents do not run as fast as they used to (38KB vs 28KB now) but since I have a little dedicated machine downloading all day and night its not really an issue for me.

With regards to gaming and VOIP it works very well. Mr Norris and I often engage in a weekend of Star Trek Online and use Skype to chat while playing and we find that with that combination the game is playable. We only run into issues when one of us leaves Steam or uTorrent running.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I've been on Mweb for a few days now. I'm not going to rave about "Oh my gosh, no problems here!", because a few days after I said that about Afrihost, I was cruising along at like 2KB/s.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

confused? :/ so is Afrihost back to their old ways now? no more limits??
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DeathStrike wrote:confused? :/ so is Afrihost back to their old ways now? no more limits??
I'm not sure. Just checked my account at home when I was there for lunch and saw that it seems to be throttled again. I think Afrihost is tossing a coin every morning to decide what to do with our accounts.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Gian made a twitter announcement about the limits..

Seems they have been adjusted slightly

I think 512 is now 30gb (which would explain Syks above speeds) but if you check on myBB they have made mention in a few posts about the new limits...
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Still not good enough for me to even consider going over to them. Mweb is still the ISP to go for it would seem.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

ah. well if they do decide to change their ways, before the end of the month, then i will re-activate my account.

EDIT: @ADV4NCED what about the 384? still 10GBs?
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Anakha56 wrote:Still not good enough for me to even consider going over to them. Mweb is still the ISP to go for it would seem.
Yeah, I'm sorry but an uncapped account that's basically capped at 30GBs is pointless. Rather just sell it as a 30GB account.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

DeathStrike wrote:ah. well if they do decide to change their ways, before the end of the month, then i will re-activate my account.

I wouldnt know DS...the 30gb limit I mentioned above was just some of the discussion taking place on myBB, nowhere do I actually find Afrihost or gian officially stating the limit is now 30gbs...

I'm not with afrihost anymore in anycase, so its not a concern for me

Best practice, email and ask them!
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

ok. No. i don't want to deal with them anymore. i have emailed them with regards to their service and they have ignored me. so i am not going to waste my time.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It appears that some semblance of normalcy has been restored to Afrihost. I have moved 64GB this month and, in accordance with their TC, it appears that my line has been throttled to 2mbps. Here is my Speedtest result:

However, "certain shaping protocols are in place" too. Just opened Newsbin to try a download from the Giganews server and I am getting 26 KB/s. General browsing is stable, however.

I still would hardly consider this a worthwhile uncapped option, but at least the just-as-good-as-capped throttling at 30GB seems to have given away to some sensibility.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

DeathStrike wrote:ah. well if they do decide to change their ways, before the end of the month, then i will re-activate my account.

Ah not too sure how I missed this earlier but here's what AH have specified... not sure if it was updated though since gian's tweet last friday:

http://www.afrihost.com/adsl-uncapped-faqs.php
This is how we are currently dealing with our Uncapped 384kbps accounts:

===============
PLEASE NOTE: These are our current settings we
plan to use - however, they may change in the future.
===============

After you have moved 15 GBs you will be moved into a different category whereby certain ports will be shaped more aggressively. However, web and email will still be prioritised.

After moving a total of 30 GBs you will be moved into a different category where your line speed is throttled to 256 kbps per second and certain shaping protocols are in place.

After moving a total of 45 GBs then you will be moved into a category where you will be throttled to 128 kbps. Certain shaping protocols will also be in place here.

You will never be capped.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

UNACCEPTABLE.

I will be sticking with MWEB thank you very much.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, it seems I have run into some form of shaping. Web is mostly unaffected, but my torrent speed has definitely dropped- average is about 20KB/s now. Downloading the newest nVidia drivers seems to average at about 40KB/s, which isn't far off the 512 ceiling, I think? :? The line is still quite usable though. I've moved about 20GB, where do I see if they cut my line speed? Do they state it somewhere in the client zone?
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Although I can browse normally, my download speed has dropped to below 1kbps.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot