Server 2003 and redirected folders

Any software related topics go in here.
Hawk21

Server 2003 and redirected folders

Post by Hawk21 »

Hey People,

I know i know, im a dirty lurker these days and i only post if i need something :P

I was wondering if anyone has experience with redirected folders (application data, etc) the problem im having is with redirection turned on for a certain group if the server isn't available when the user logs in on their system, programs (thunderbird & openoffice in this case) create local profiles which are then synchronized to the server...

And in the case of the programs mentioned it overwrites their configuration files (ie: thunderbird creates a new profile and openoffice loses its settings) which requires some work on my side to correct, its not a big deal but very frustrating to deal with since usually if the server is off and coming back on there are bigger things to worry about than editing some config files.

I know offline files are an option but then all that means is a overwrite dialogue box comes up on synchronization so i have to explain that to the people and hope they click the right option.

At the moment ive edited the permissions and making the individual config files read only to the user group but i was wondering if there was a better way of essentially doing the same thing?

Edit: whoops just realized i probably should have put this on the windows forum instead of software
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
M1K3

Re: Server 2003 and redirected folders

Post by M1K3 »

Hey

Is it Server standard or SBS? You can set a GPO to not synchronise specific files/folders. I just can't remember off hand where it is. I can rdp into one of my clients later tonight and get the exact details, will only be able to do it tonight though.