All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Fears of Recall as iPad is Hit by iGremlins

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:iSuck.... :lol:
I don't really consider myself a cynical person, but these guys are on to something!
In a perfect example of the waiting in line just for the sake of waiting at an Apple store, the iPad launch received an expected huge turnout. Again I ask, Why? If you pre-order the device, you can just walk in the store and pick one up. You don’t have to wait in line. iPad buyers don’t have the internet?

Related to the planned obsolescence mentioned above, the iPad does not have a camera. Almost all modern smartphones and laptops have integrated cameras, why not the Heaven-sent iPad? To generate more hype over second-gen iPad, of course. More smelly hippies=more media coverage=more free advertising.

The iPad also does not include support for one of the web’s most prevalent multimedia platforms, Adobe Flash. While this exclusion could likely be positive and allow further development for HTML5, if Apple was genuinely concerned with their customers’ interests, Flash would be supported.

And, if the laptop is a netbook replacement, where is the USB port? Everything uses USB. Why doesn’t it have one? Third-gen, possibly?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

naughty wrote:<clip>will it blend?<clip>
the stupid... it burns... :|

there's a really good reason the western world is dumping its techno trash in 3rd world countries... a good portion of that rapidly dispersing cloud of residue is not human friendly...

on the plus side, we get to look forward to the day captain angry-pants is diagnosed with some degenerative disorder linked to his sad little sideshow.. (and i'm shocked that this nonsense hasn't appeared on the discovery channel yet... it strikes me as being made for it...)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Prime

Post by Prime »

rustypup wrote:
naughty wrote:<clip>will it blend?<clip>
the stupid... it burns... :|

there's a really good reason the western world is dumping its techno trash in 3rd world countries... a good portion of that rapidly dispersing cloud of residue is not human friendly...

on the plus side, we get to look forward to the day captain angry-pants is diagnosed with some degenerative disorder linked to his sad little sideshow.. (and i'm shocked that this nonsense hasn't appeared on the discovery channel yet... it strikes me as being made for it...)
:roll:

The "will it blend?" commercials are utterly brilliant for the most part. the guy attempts to blend any and everything in an attempt to show off the blender, with bizarre and hilarious results. And he found a use for valentines day gifts. :twisted:

go watch the rest.
Last edited by Prime on 22 Apr 2010, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

rustypup wrote:iSuck.... :lol:
Wow, that is one angry individual... :lol:

Highly entertaining article, and I agree with many points. I find haters just as silly as fanboys though, no matter which side of the fence they're on. I use Mac OS and various other Apple products as well as Windows and PC products. I disagree with many things Apple does and don't like their control freak behaviour at all, but they make some absolutely fantastic products.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

naughty wrote:what is it about siemens that bothers you ???
Say the word out loud and you'll see.
naughty

Post by naughty »

jamin_za wrote:
naughty wrote:what is it about siemens that bothers you ???
Say the word out loud and you'll see.
LOL - i should have guessed
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by ryanrich »

I am SO with Steve regarding Adobe and Flash. Flash SUCKS! It crashes so much on nix and Mac OS systems it's not even funny...

Besides that, I love the way Adobe goes on at Apple about their closed environment when they are doing exactly the same thing, but way WORSE!

HTML5 is the way forward...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Of course you could actually have posted this in the discussion topic.

(Edit: Sorry, Ignore me, I'm grumpy)
doo_much

Apple launches 3G iPad

Post by doo_much »

Reuters wrote:In the second stage of a two-part rollout, Apple Inc on Friday began selling the pricier, high-speed wireless version of the iPad in the United States, following the successful launch of the short-range Wi-Fi tablet earlier this month.

Although the event certainly lacked the buildup and excitement of the April 3 debut -- with the heartiest waiting in line overnight -- some Apple retail stores in big cities still saw decent-sized crowds ahead of the 5 p.m. launch.

At a store in downtown San Francisco, roughly 75 people stood in line 90 minutes before the 3G iPad went on sale.

Several people said they had waited for the more expensive version of Apple's tablet because they saw it as a potential replacement for their laptops, at least in certain situations.

"I'm going to take it everywhere with me, I already take my laptop everywhere, and it'll definitely replace my laptop in a lot of cases," said Long Nguyen, 22, who works in IT repair and was first in line.

The 3G model -- which is also Wi-Fi compatible -- starts at $629 and tops out at $829. The Wi-Fi-only iPad starts at $499.

The 9.7-inch touchscreen iPad is essentially a cross between a laptop and a smartphone. It is intended as a media consumption device, good for video, games, electronic books and magazines and Web browsing.

But some said they were hoping to also use it for work, mainly because of the device's thin-and-light profile.

"I travel a lot for work, and I have a lot of projects that are out in the field, so I think it will be useful for some of that," said Gary Riley, 36, an environmental engineer.

"I'm on the road all the time, and I think it will give me a nice choice, especially when I travel," said Bob Geib, a consultant. "It will complement my laptop."

AT&T is providing the wireless data plans for the iPad, charging $29.99 a month for unlimited access.

AT&T is also the exclusive U.S. carrier for Apple's iPhone, and has been subject to plenty of criticism over the quality of its network. It remains to be seen whether iPad users will encounter any problems with their service.

Apple sold 300,000 iPads on launch day April 3 and a half-million units the first week. Although the device won't reach international markets until late May, some analysts expect Apple to sell roughly 5 million or so this year.

The iPad rollout has been accompanied by a crush of media hype, but it has not been without its hiccups. The company delayed the international launch for a month for what it said was stronger-than-expected demand.

Analyst say the company has also had difficulty ramping production of a new product.

Shares of Cupertino, California-based Apple closed down 2.8 percent at $261.09 on the Nasdaq.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Prime wrote:Of course you could actually have posted this in the discussion topic.

(Edit: Sorry, Ignore me, I'm grumpy)
What are you speaking about?

You see the part in the heading where it says "and, more generally, Apple". My post was Apple related...
Prime

Post by Prime »

drakonis created a discussion topic on why apple won't support flash.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Oh I see, haven't checked it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Prime wrote:drakonis created a discussion topic on why apple won't support flash.
If we used Drakonis' threads for everything we'd have two threads on every topic on the forum. :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
Prime wrote:drakonis created a discussion topic on why apple won't support flash.
If we used Drakonis' threads for everything we'd have two threads on every topic on the forum. :P

And we'd be two days behind....
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hur hur...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

That will be relevant until about June and the release of Firmware 4.0... :)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

and mankind welcomed oblivion with open arms... it was only a matter of time...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:and mankind welcomed oblivion with open arms... it was only a matter of time...
Ryan's been signed up since last week.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

i believe so... i heard he "received the golden apple" which is apparently a euphemism for something disgustingly biological involving a sheep, a ladder and creative interpretation of the phrase "Success is where you grab it!"..... :P

big word translation service provided by Mickey's Reliable Petcare Services
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I heard about this on a podcast but then forgot all about it...

Madness... Absolute madness...

"received the golden apple" - Now my office is wondering why I burst out laughing, thanks rusty. :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

See Apple might be investigated for anti-competition?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Anakha56 wrote:See Apple might be investigated for anti-competition?
I posted it somewhere, but where? :? Kinda Ironic that because they are now making a fortune, they cannot fly under the radar any more. :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I don't know if you guys saw this or not, but man, my mind was blown.

So, Ellen made a freaking hilarious video about the iPhone (You've gotta watch it), and then had to apologise for it...

Click Click

I know it's two day old news, but still good news nonetheless :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ellen is so funny... :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Right?! Man, I was hosing myself when I watched that video :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.