All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: All things iPad (and, more generally, Apple)

Post by Stuart »

:lol:

It's odd, but I'm becoming less and less of an Apple fan as the weeks go by. What a bunch of crayons!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm with you, Stuart. I've never really had anything AGAINST Apple, but I was never keen on actually buying one of their devices. I was pretty much neutral, but the way Apple's been behaving lately has been getting on my nerves.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Wow, someone actually took the time to port spyware onto a Mac?
"Our users were discussing the software installed alongside the 7art screensavers as far back as March," MacUpdate said in an e-mail.
:lol: So they knew for 3 months and did nothing until Intego went public with the news?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I have a question regarding OS X - will it run in a VM on win 7?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Monty wrote:I have a question regarding OS X - will it run in a VM on win 7?
It's possible with some tweaking yes, I have one running on VMware Workstation 7.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Apple demos open source HTML5... oh no wait, you have to be running THEIR browser to see it. Yeah, maybe Mr.Jobs needs to look up the definition of "open standard".
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So I was at Absa this morning, standing in the queue by the tellers. They have one of those old red-and-black LED display signs to tell you which teller is open. But last week they installed this fancy new full colour LCD monitor, which obviously has Windows controlling it. It speaks in this smooth, cool female voice telling you which teller to go to and displays the number with some fancy animation and artwork. All very impressive.

Except this morning they were using the old LED display sign again. So I glance up at the LCD and, lo and behold, the following message was displayed on it:
GA_ABSA_FlashPlayer has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
:lol:

Steve would love it, no doubt. :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Haha, you shoulda taken a pic... :lol:

So the WWDC opening keynote starts at 7PM tonight, SA time. Looking forward to seeing the new iPhone and some demonstrations. Hopefully OS 4.0 will be released this week as well!
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

This new Mac Mini looks fantastic! Would make an awesome HTPC...

Mac mini (unibody) unboxing and hands-on - Engadget Galleries

Mac mini - Apple Store (U.S.)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Man, that machine is dead sexy. I would LOVE one of those!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

nothing says cool, edgy and "with it" quite like a totalitarian locale collection policy.. :lol:

<edit>am almost convinced google was doing something similar :/ </edit>
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Man, that machine is dead sexy. I would LOVE one of those!
I do agree with the aesthetics being nice, but US$700 for a media player with a processor that's a generation old is a bit much.
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

GreyWolf wrote:US$700 for a media player with a processor that's a generation old is a bit much.
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
320GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics
tiny - standard - hdd, 2gb of ram and a sub-par GPU is not what i would consider 'good to go' for HD media playback..

"SuperDrive" :lol:

seriously, DJV... given the pico board you have hidden somewhere and R5/7k, you could do far better than this crud... :/
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:standard - hdd
not even standard, its a 5400rpm item...
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Haters gonna hate... :lol:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

you'd buy a laptop with those specs?... :/

fanbois gonna be suckers...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

meh, "fanboi" is becoming so tired and overplayed... I don't even own a single Mac computer, in fact I'm much more of a PC fan.

The Mac Mini is a fully fledged Mac in an extremely small form factor that runs almost completely silently and uses less than 10W at idle, so yeah I can see it's use. Is it overpriced, yes it probably is for what you're getting.
IcePick88

iPad to go?

Post by IcePick88 »

June 25th, 2010
Sydney - An Australian restaurant has ditched printed menus and now hands diners the latest tech-craze, Apple's touch-screen iPad computer, from which to choose and order their meals.

Risking damaging wine spills and customers taking an iPad 'to go', the Global Mundo Tapas eatery at the Rydges Hotel in North Sydney introduced its new menus recently - within a few week of the iPad's Australian release.

"One of the points of difference for our restaurant was to have a unique menu," the hotel's general manager Craig Simpson said Friday.

"Everyone's excited about the iPad and we're jumping on the back of that."

Hundreds of people queued round the block in central Sydney to buy the iPad when it went on sale outside the United States for the first time on May 28.

Simpson bought 15 of the sought-after tablets, flying to Adelaide to pick up 10 of them on launch day, which retail from 629 Australian dollars (about R4 100).

"It's the cost of doing business," he said.

An iPad application developed ahead of the tactile device's launch allows diners at the 50-seat restaurant to browse the menu - complete with photographs and tasting notes - with a flick of a finger.

Order a steak and the application asks how you would like the meat cooked, and placing your order can be done with the press of a button.

Planned features include pop-up boxes that will suggest wines to match meals, and stock-control mechanisms to delete sold-out items from the menu.

"Hotels used to be cutting-edge food and beverage," Simpson said. "We are trying to bring the pizzazz back."

Food and beverage manager Fareid Taheri said the menu had been well received. "It's something to play with while you order," he said.

"With a menu, you don't really know what you're getting," lunch customer David Wisemantel said. "I would be far more inclined to order... if I knew what it looked like."
Souce
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Very cool. I think we'll start seeing lots more of that...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:Very cool. I think we'll start seeing lots more of that...
In South Africa? You know how many iPads the average restaurant would go through?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Haha, no, 1st world countries... :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

The iPhone 4 is a phone that you must not hold...

http://www.dailytech.com/Steve+Jobs+on+ ... e18842.htm
Steve Jobs on iPhone 4 Reception Issues: You're Holding It Wrong
Brandon Hill (Blog) - June 24, 2010 10:24 PM

Steve Jobs responds to complaints about iPhone reception issues

Gizmodo has a thread with nearly 2,000 posts, Engadget is pushing 900 posts, and Mac Rumors is nearing 1,000 posts with regards to iPhone 4 reception issues. I have witnessed the same issues with the iPhone 4 that I picked up this morning (yet don't have any such reception issues with an HTC EVO 4G that I am currently testing or a year-old iPhone 3GS). The iPhone 4 starts off having 4 to 5 bars sitting by itself on a table, but if you pick the phone up and “palm it”, you may drop down to 1 bar or even get a “No Service” message.

For those that have just plunked down $200 or $300 on a new iPhone 4 (or more if you are upgrading before your contract is eligible), having your cellular connection drop out while doing something as simple as holding the phone in your hand is unacceptable.

However, according to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, those who are having reception issues are just holding their phone incorrectly. A reader sent an email to Steve Jobs stating that his new iPhone 4 was having receptions issues when holding it his hand. In typical Jobs fashion, his response was short and to the point according to Engadget:
Just avoid holding it that way.
Apple's official stance on the issue is the following:
Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.
So Apple made a phone with an external antenna that has problems with reception when it comes in contact with the human body, then blames the consumer for holding the iPhone 4 in a perfectly reasonable fashion. This seems to be a very puzzling and troubling statement from the boys from Cupertino which sounds more like a hardware design problem than a "you're holding it wrong" problem.

Interestingly enough, a user over at Apple Insider has a photo montage from Apple's iPhone 4 commercials that seems to contradict Jobs' "avoid holding it that way" comment.

And the little notation about using a case to fix what is at the heart a hardware issue also is a bit interesting as well. The bumper case for the iPhone 4 is the first iPhone case direct from Apple that we can recall -- possibly it was made available to mask the reception problems.
So I cant own one of these now, I use my left hand for phoning often. Still it is quite a funny story, will bump the other thread with it as well :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Hmmm, funny, I can google and find MANY problems with HTC phones, it seems every fault Apple has gets an !!!...

I know their devices are seen as perfect, but everything has mistakes... :lol:

My friend in the UK is LOVING his iPhone 4. Funny enough he just moved to it from a Hero... :P