Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Telkom Says - "Our Turn"

Post by Anthro »

It’s not really a surprise to see announcements from Telkom around this time of the year, so when we first heard of the announcement of Telkom’s new product offerings, we were ready... Or so we thought.

The South African broadband market was rocked last month by the announcement, by Mweb surprisingly enough, of affordable uncapped internet access. Naturally, to remain competitive, most other ISP’s rushed out the gates to announce similar offerings, and soon enough, the market was buzzing. However, not all ISP’s namely Telkom and Webafrica, have rushed to announce anything. Webafrica have claimed that these new offerings are unsustainable in the long run whilst Telkom have remained mum on the subject, until now.
We were all expecting the increases in line speed as Telkom have been testing line capabilities, laying fibre optic cables and upgrading DSLAM’s and exchanges to be ADSL2+ ready. Many internet users have claimed to hit remarkable speeds never before seen in South Africa with regards to ADSL which all pointed to this being the case. And indeed, it is now official.

In a press conference held at 8a.m. this morning, Telkom officially stated that the rollout of the line speed increases will commence on May 1st. However, because not all exchanges are 100% ready for the increase, it will be rolled out across the country over the next few months, only stalled because FIFA regulations state that no network maintenance can be held during the World cup. The line speeds will be bumped up as follows.
• 384 increased to 1024/103 Downstream/Upstream
• 512 increased to 2048/205 Downstream/Upstream
• 4096 increased to at least 8192 up to 10Mb/ps Downstream and 1.5Mb/ps upstream
However, we were told that these bumps in speed would be free of charge, but it seems this isn’t the case. These speeds actually come at a reduced price as Telkom have finally chosen to go ahead with the much awaited Local Loop Unbundling (LLU).

For those who don’t understand what LLU implies, it means that line rentals are charged for specific speeds. The loss of line rental has brought about a whole new game in the market, allowing consumers freedom in choosing their ISP’s, but you may want to decide on that carefully according to Telkom. Why you may ask? Well it comes with the pricing structure of these new packages.
• 1Mb/ps uncapped and semi-shaped at R199 per month
• 2Mb/ps uncapped and semi-shaped at R299 per month
• 8/10Mb/ps uncapped semi-shaped at R599 per month
• 1Mb/ps uncapped and unshaped at R299 per month
• 2Mb/ps uncapped and unshaped at R399 per month
• 8/10Mb/ps uncapped and unshaped at R799 per month
When asked the question over fair usage policies, the spokesperson had this to say, “We are well aware of the problems that uncapped brings, in particular, the abuse of the system at such high speeds users will be achieving. However, we also know that such abuse can’t be sustained over a lengthy period of time. Research shows that users who abuse the system usually only do so during their first 2 months and thereafter slow down due to the lack of storage capacity they own but also due to the fact that there’s only so much any user can wish to download in any given time. These packages will also only have 1 concurrent connection as is industry standard to prevent abuse.”
The spokesperson also went on to say that there will be more capacity than ever before due to the EASSY cable landing in a few weeks, as well as the share they now own on the Seacom cable to go along with the SAT3/SAFE cable Telkom owned all along.

When we approached CEO of Telkom Reuben September he had the following to say, “We’ve been working on a strategy for the past 2 years, it’s been a huge effort and many hours have gone into the planning of our new structure. We were hoping to have everything ready by the World cup and we nearly achieved it, however there were many obstacles standing in our way. We hope to remain the leader in ADSL in the future and we’re sure that our packages as they stand now will lead us in that direction. We will work hard to bring more exciting packages in future as technology moves forward, we will do our best to keep up.”

When asked about business packages, we were told that they’re still fine tuning the details, but rest assured, an announcement will come later in the month.
Temporary Absence
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Telkom Says - "Our Turn"

Post by KALSTER »

Hooraaayyy!!!

April fool
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

No sauce, April Fools
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah. Nice try anthro, you had me going :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

bast**** and i really had my hopes up until i saw no source. :(
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The biggest clue for me, after believing it for a few minutes, was that we are talking about Telkom here. :| It would be like Microsoft suddenly offering Win 7 as a free upgrade.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

I won't lie... I so thought it was true... until the second post :/
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Temporary Absence
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

:notworthy: well done Anthro
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Rat, BAN HIM!
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

StarBound wrote:Rat, BAN HIM!
+1000000^100000
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Thanx Ama :notworthy:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:Rat, BAN HIM!
On it.

Now if only my username was red instead of green ...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

You know what would have been really evil? A rickroll disguised as a source link. :twisted:
It wouldn't have sit too well, I know, but man, can you say epic? :lol:
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

EPIC WIN for that idea there. :lol:
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU