Core i7 aftermarket cooler

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
GregH
Processor: Intel 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VI
Graphics card: GTX680
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Core i7 aftermarket cooler

Post by GregH »

Hi all,

I have a LGA1366 Core i7 920 CPU 2.66GHz currently running at 2.9GHz on the stock Intel CPU cooler. Running with this and the Intel Turbo function (which may be adding to the o/clock but I'm not sure) I am getting temps close to the 70 degree mark when running MS Flight Sim X for several hours on end. This is a very CPU intensive (albeit mainly single core) application.

I have identified the "Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme 1366 RT Retail pack with FDB Fan" (currently on offer at R778.46 with Prophecy) as an upgrade cooling solution. Web reviews seem to rate this one highly, especially compared to the stock cooler.

The rest of my system specs are in my sig. Please let me know if this is a good choice or if there is something better (must be currently available). I am not interested in doing fancy liquid cooling at this stage.

Thanks,
GregH
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz / Corsair H100I dual radiator closed loop liquid CPU cooler / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8.8.8.24 / Asus Maximus Hero VI MoBo / GTX680 / Crucial C300 SSD 256GB / 1.5TB Seagate SATAII / Onboard Hi Def Audio / Dual monitor 23 inch Dell LCD /
Windows 7 Pro 64
ADV4NCED

Re: Core i7 aftermarket cooler

Post by ADV4NCED »

Afaik the i7 cpu's actually run quite hot and I dont think 70'C is necessarily something to worry about with these processors...

Regarding the heatsink/fan...pretty good choice imho, add some AS5 paste with that and you're good to go!
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
GregH
Processor: Intel 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VI
Graphics card: GTX680
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Post by GregH »

Thanks Adv4nced,

I see you do have one of these also from your signature. Don't suppose anyone knows where I could pick one of these up without going the online shop route (in and around JNB). Impatient and don't want to wait a week for delivery if I can help it :wink:
GregH
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.2GHz / Corsair H100I dual radiator closed loop liquid CPU cooler / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 8.8.8.24 / Asus Maximus Hero VI MoBo / GTX680 / Crucial C300 SSD 256GB / 1.5TB Seagate SATAII / Onboard Hi Def Audio / Dual monitor 23 inch Dell LCD /
Windows 7 Pro 64
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

you might want to look at the Cogage coolers.

Check out www.wootware.co.za

Cogage coolers are made by the Thermalright team but come in much cheaper and also give their more expensive brethren a run for their money.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

KillerByte wrote:you might want to look at the Cogage coolers.

Check out http://www.wootware.co.za

Cogage coolers are made by the Thermalright team but come in much cheaper and also give their more expensive brethren a run for their money.
You're right KB,

These heatsinks are really impressive

http://www.wootware.co.za/cogage-true-s ... pipes.html
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?