Help please USB FRIDGE

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Lambogiggy

Help please USB FRIDGE

Post by Lambogiggy »

Greetings, this has now turned into a frantic matter of urgancy. To who ever got the April mag, I would like to know some info has anyone been able to get themselves a PELTIER HEAT PUMP. I have only found site in america and nothing here only industrial* applications I really want to make one of these USB fridges but i cant do Jack until i get a peltier device. Please can someone help

Thanks Lambogiggy.
Last edited by Lambogiggy on 30 Mar 2010, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
doo_much

Re: Help please

Post by doo_much »

First off - try some punctuation and breaking the paragraph into readable sentences, you're hurting my eyes. :wink:

Secondly - have a look here.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

http://www.mantech.co.za/Stock.aspx?Query=MARLOWand search for tec coolers but because you'll be running it on usb 1, you have access to 100 mA
Last edited by Prime on 30 Mar 2010, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
ADT

Re: Help please USB FRIDGE

Post by ADT »

Haha :lol: , shame Doo cut the guy some slack, he's new around here even though it HURTS US :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

THanks Doo saw this article and have tasked the g/f for making it for me! I shall report back once the wine chiller has been completed!
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Anakha, where will you be sourcing your cooler ? I am considering ebay (since that is what the PCF guys recommend)
Temporary Absence
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Lambogiggy wrote:Greetings, this has now turned into a frantic matter of urgancy. To who ever got the April mag, I would like to know some info has anyone been able to get themselves a PELTIER HEAT PUMP. I have only found site in america and nothing here only industrial* applications I really want to make one of these USB fridges but i cant do Jack until i get a peltier device. Please can someone help

Thanks Lambogiggy.
Nice effort on the punctuation. thanks.

You wanna build a USB Fridge. Ahhh. OK. So my link is totally worthless! :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

I haven't seen the latest PCF, i proabably won't. How big does this this need to be?

you could harvest a the unit from a cheap peltier cooler bought at makro but those things draw 4 amps at 12 volts. :!:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Anthro wrote:Anakha, where will you be sourcing your cooler ? I am considering ebay (since that is what the PCF guys recommend)
Not sure yet finally followed doo(s) :whistling: link and realised that he suckered me :( :P.

Will look at Primes link to investigate my options, if you go ebay maybe we could share costs?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote:
Anthro wrote:Anakha, where will you be sourcing your cooler ? I am considering ebay (since that is what the PCF guys recommend)
Not sure yet finally followed doo(s) :whistling: link and realised that he suckered me :( :P.

Will look at Primes link to investigate my options, if you go ebay maybe we could share costs?
That's supposed to be a hyphanated "s"!!! :evil:

Send me a link to what you want to get from e-bay. This is sounding like something that'll work for beer! :occasion5:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

*sigh*

I should probably go buy the PCf and read exactly what they say before i do this, but anyway.

Your COP is likely to be less than 1. Your USB port will only supply 100mA unless you can somehow convince it otherwise. I seem to recall that they olny run at USB 2 speeds if the device tells them too. 0.1A*12V = 1.2W of electrical power. Assuming a COP of 1, your cooler will pump 1.2watts. thats 1.2 joules of heat energy a second.

Q=m*c*delta(t) Ignoring the thermal mass of the can or bottle, c =4.186x103, m = 0.33kg

assuming you want to chill your beers by 10 degrees celcius:

Q = 13813.8joules. thats 11511.5 seconds which roughly 191 minutes. :lol:

This ignores heat losses to the environment.

Someone please check my thermodynamics, but as far as i can see, you might want to think about this carefully before spending too much on it.

Go buy a cheap cooler from makro, they had some 48 watt campmaster ones for 500 bucks. open it up and put better fans in it and run it off you power supply. It draws 4 amps and will hold alot more beer. :P

edit: http://www.coolchips.gi/technology/ccalc.shtml
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:First off - try some punctuation and breaking the paragraph into readable sentences, you're hurting my eyes. :wink:

Secondly - have a look here.
Linking to a TT product? A rickroll would've been a lesser contravention of the rules.
venebe

Post by venebe »

Hi there, you can get peltier module at electronics123 dot co dot za... Have it there for about R170... Product code AB103
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

I think i'll save myself the problem of sourcing stuff by just buying this:

http://www.mygoodies.co.za/catalog/usb- ... p-147.html
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Thanks Ryan :D Save me money and time, now I just need to make some measurements...
Prime

Post by Prime »

I emailed them, i want to know the wattage and if its metal and insulated.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Finally, a response from Dream Cheeky
Dream Cheey wrote:Dear Dave,

We have recently received your email via our website regarding the USB Fridge. We would like to take a moment and thank you for your purchase! We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this product may have caused.

The wattage is 3.5-4W.

Thank you for your enquiry if have any inquiry regarding our USB products please feel free to contact us.
:lol:

For the record, I never purchased one or even suggested as much.
Dave wrote: I'd like to know the wattage of your USB fridge please. Also is the body metal and does it possess any insulation. Thanks.