Free The Web - MWEB ADSL UNCAPPED - R 219 pm

Network problem solving and tweaks
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Free The Web - MWEB ADSL UNCAPPED - R 219 pm

Post by DeathStrike »

Members of Free The Web SA

Over the past 18 days, we've been paying very close attention to what’s been said; we've been watching and sharing in debates about the disappointing state of affairs regarding Internet Broadband in South Africa. We've also shared with you some amazing stories that only the wonderful Internet could be responsible for: The first web page back in December 1990, the birth of Google in August 1996, the stunning "Battle of Kruger" with over 51 million views in May 2007, and today - 18 March 2010, we're proud to announce that one of South Africa's oldest ISPs, MWEB, has launched uncapped Internet at a price that competes on the international stage.

R219 per month is all it will cost you for uncapped, limitless Internet access. For an All Inclusive cost of R349, MWEB will take care of your connection fee too.
For more information about the news, please take a look at the full press release on our notes board.
SOURCE

ZOMG :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Free The Web - MWEB ADSL UNCAPPED - R 219 pm

Post by Stuart »

I'm very suspicious of Mweb's "uncapped" offerings, but I've been eyeing this closely since this morning.

For more info, check out http://www.mweb.co.za/adsl/

According to that, you can get 4mbps uncapped (data only) for R539 (paying your line rental to Telkom, of course).
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stuart wrote:...(data only)...
What do they mean by data only?

EDIT: After reading their T&C, I see it means nothing more than they don't do the ADSL line rental.

Also:
MWeb Website wrote:Is it really Uncapped?
Yes it is. Unlimited data, all the time.
This is subject to our acceptable use guidelines which can be viewed here.
Last edited by Monty on 18 Mar 2010, 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Just read this, awesome!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, data only means you pay for the bandwidth to Mweb and your line rental to Telkom. All Inclusive means you pay Mweb for your data and line rental.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Holy moley. I thought Afrihost was amazing...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Remember when Mweb was running uncapped trials? They started cutting people off when they passed the 200GB mark. I think I'll keep an eye on this over at MyBB for a month or two before I jump aboard.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

200GB is a LOT though. Man, I just don't want to restrict myself when it comes to my web browsing experience. I eat through my 10GB account in about 3 weeks, and that's without doing ANY downloads :(

Seriously, even if uncapped was capped at 100GB, I'd be happy.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

*rubs hands greedily*
So who on this forum will be the first to take the plunge?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:Remember when Mweb was running uncapped trials? They started cutting people off when they passed the 200GB mark. I think I'll keep an eye on this over at MyBB for a month or two before I jump aboard.
Flip, still fine by me! Compared to the absolute crap we have in SA at the moment this is fantastic...

Now to find a way out of my crummy iBurst contract and sign up for this!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

It's MWeb offering it.

DO NOT WANT.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Screeper wrote:*rubs hands greedily*
Well, Afrihost wants 30 days notice before you cancel, so I'll have to wait until MAY in order to use these account, but I'm keen. I'll see what happens until the end of the month :)
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Oh, why is this in Chillout?

Moving to Networking.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ron2K wrote:It's MWeb offering it.

DO NOT WANT.
Why not? I've only ever had excellent service from them...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Screeper wrote:*rubs hands greedily*
Well, Afrihost wants 30 days notice before you cancel, so I'll have to wait until MAY in order to use these account, but I'm keen. I'll see what happens until the end of the month :)
That may be a bonus. Let's see what unfolds throughout the month of April. I'll watch the MyBB thread about this (or, as it always turns out on MyBB, the 300 threads by 300 different people dealing with exactly the same topic) and report any major issues users are having here.

Edit: First MyBB user posting Speed Test results ...

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

ryanrich wrote:
Ron2K wrote:It's MWeb offering it.

DO NOT WANT.
Why not? I've only ever had excellent service from them...
Several reasons:
  • Historically, MWeb has been one of the most expensive (if not the most expensive) ISPs in this country. This already makes me suspicious of an offer like this (the whole "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" thinking).
  • Their past track record with uncapped offerings doesn't bode well, as Stuart already mentioned.
  • A quick browse of the MyBB forum post reveals some pretty draconian terms and conditions, as well as vagueness about their fair use policies.
Bottom line: I simply don't trust them.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

The T&C: http://www.mweb.co.z...18/Default.aspx

I was happy and just about to switch when I read the T&C:
5. ADSL Acceptable Use Policy

5.2 You will not use the ADSL Service, directly or indirectly, in a way that:

5.2.9 in MWEB's sole discretion constitutes abuse of the ADSL Service or of MWEB's system.
5.6 You may not restrict, inhibit or interfere with the ability of any person to access, use or enjoy the Internet or the ADSL Services, or create an unusually large burden on our network, including, without limitation, continuously uploading or downloading streaming video or audio; continuous FTP uploading or downloading, or otherwise generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information, or to use the ADSL Services in an abusive manner in connection with any unlimited packages, options or promotions.
5.7 We reserve the right to establish policies, rules and limitations, from time to time, concerning the use of the ADSL Service. You must comply with any bandwidth, data storage and other limitations we may impose, in our sole discretion. Failure to comply with these rules will result in your service being restricted, suspended or terminated, in our sole discretion.
5.8 We will manage bandwidth usage to the best of our ability during peak periods, however, it remains a best effort service.
5.9 We reserve the right to manage our network in order to optimize its efficiency for the benefit of all our subscribers, including, without limitation, by way of the following: rate limiting (speed), rejection or removal of spam or otherwise unsolicited bulk e-mail, anti-virus mechanisms, protocol filtering and imposing restrictions on your use. We may take any other action we deem appropriate in order to help ensure the integrity of the network experience for all subscribers, including limiting your data traffic by controlling your network and/or bandwidth usage.
5.10 You may not use the ADSL Service for unattended automated operation, unless otherwise agreed. You may stay connected as long as you are actively using that connection. You further agree not to use Internet applications for the purpose of simulating network activity to avoid session inactivity disconnection.
5.12 We are committed to provide you with uninterrupted ADSL Services. However, we can not guarantee that the ADSL Service and the allocated capacity will always be available. .
5.13 We can terminate the ADSL Service at any time if we decide to discontinue the ADSL Service offering for any reason whatsoever, without any further liability to you.
5.14 If the ADSL Service is used in a way that we, in our sole discretion, believe violates this Acceptable Use Policy or any of our rules or limitations, we may take any responsive actions we deem appropriate. Such actions may include without limitation, temporary or permanent removal of content, cancellation of newsgroup posts, filtering of Internet transmissions, and/or the immediate limitation, restriction, suspension or termination of all or any portion of the ADSL Services or your account.
And I am sticking to my SAOL 384k Uncapped...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I don't see anything wrong with any of those Ts&Cs. Basically, they're doing something about the guys that will try to download 300GB worth of torrents.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

The hell with that SAOL uncapped. 384Kbps uncapped for R799 a month or 4Mbps for R899... Hmmm, tough one...

Agreed DAE. Those T&C's are 100%... I would be seriously worried if they said here's a free for all, go wild.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yeah I dont like being told that they can make&change the rules according to their whims. That seems wrong to me, sorry I will wait for a couple of months. One thing that concerns me if I but a huge load of games that go over 20GB in size on Steam I will have to leave it unattended to download and that is not allowed from what I can tell...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't see anything wrong with any of those Ts&Cs. Basically, they're doing something about the guys that will try to download 300GB worth of torrents.
I some how doubt they'll limit it to the people who do torrents - they'll probably be strict on any large downloader
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Also - their unshaped options are bloody expensive :(

Just culled from SS :
you have 20 gig limit every 10 days and if you exceed 20 gig in 10 days your speed is halved for the next 10 days
Although this link seems to disagree: http://fb.client.babel.za.net/pdf/MWEB_ ... 8March.pdf
Last edited by Monty on 18 Mar 2010, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I don't see anything wrong with any of those Ts&Cs. Basically, they're doing something about the guys that will try to download 300GB worth of torrents.
But here's the question. Without justifying piracy (which is what P2P inevitably comes down to), is it possible to "abuse" a truly uncapped account? If it's uncapped, the ISP shouldn't care if you pull 1TB per month. How exactly does one "abuse" uncapped with too much downloading?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Monty wrote:Also - their unshaped options are bloody expensive :(

Just culled from SS :
you have 20 gig limit every 10 days and if you exceed 20 gig in 10 days your speed is halved for the next 10 days
Although this link seems to disagree: http://fb.client.babel.za.net/pdf/MWEB_ ... 8March.pdf
http://games.saix.net/cgi-bin/sgsbb/iko ... 49;t=67456

According to that post you just have to phone the helpdesk and they give you that info...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Torrents aren't illegal, piracy is.

But YouTube, wenhosting, lastfm , vpn and game servers could constitute abuse of their terms. :/