Linux Startup Issues

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
TheModDoctor

Linux Startup Issues

Post by TheModDoctor »

Hi. Recently it became necessary for me to use Linux, so I got myself a copy of openSUSE 11.2 and Ubuntu 9.10.

Now I need to install it on a second partition on my new laptop, but this is where my troubles start.
Whenever I choose the Install option after I booted off the dvd, setup loads for a short while and then the screen just goes blank. The laptop is still on - I can hear its fan and everything, but there is absolutely nothing going on on the screen. I've even tried waiting for like 30 minutes, but still nothing happened. This happened with both openSUSE and Ubuntu - screen goes blank shortly after I chose install. And choosing to install in text mode or with a reduced screen resolution doesn't help a bit :(

But last night I don't know if I got lucky or something, but maybe on my 100th try openSUSE actually loaded the installation completely and I was able to install it with no problem. But my luck quickly ran out and after the reboot when setup finished, same thing happens again. Right when I boot into openSUSE, the loading bar loads maybe 5% and then the screen just goes blank, and I have to pull the battery out or do a force shutdown. No matter what I tried (including failsafe mode), it just won't boot :evil: I get no error or anything, just a blank screen.

This morning when I tried again just to see if its still the same story - it booted! So I thought ok cool, but what would happen if I restart? And as you might have guessed, it refused to boot again after that restart.

So my obvious question is, the hell is up with that?

And just to rule out hardware error, Windows 7 boots with absolutely no problem whatsoever - like always. My laptop is an HP Compaq 615 (VC402EA), got it this week from Landmark PC.

Is it common for Linux to hate laptops? :lol: What can I try to get this thing to boot every time I want to?
rustypup

Re: Linux Startup Issues

Post by rustypup »

i'm thinking the newer kernel has encountered a piece of kit it's uncomfortable with... any chance this lappie is running ATI?
Arch Forums wrote: I have experienced exactly the same problem with my HP Compaq 615 notebook
KMS si not the source of problem,also radeon.modeset=0 at Grub kernel line doesn't solve anything
The only way to boot is to append acpi=off paramter
Problem is caused by pcmcia and pcmcia_core acpi modules(strange indeed that they are loaded,becouse my laptop has a express not pcmcia slot )
Boot with acpi=off and add these modules in rc.conf with ! to disable them from loading with system,boot again normally and everything will work fine now with acpi enabled
I also notice that people with similar hardware like my netbook(AMD chipset)have same problems
I hope that this helps and sorry for crappy english

P.S. Problem is linked with new 2.6.3x kernels,it's not distro releated(same thing is happening on OpenSUSE 11.2 and last version of Ubuntu)and its upstream-on older kernels up to 2.6.29 everything works fine
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Why would you repeatedly try (and fail) installing an OS the way you have, TheModDoctor :?:

What is so crucial about getting Linux on this machine that you would subject yourself to this kind of tedium? Are you some sort of masochist :?:

Is there some critical function you have to have Linux installed in order to perform it on this laptop :?:
Maybe you just have too much free time....

Either way, massive lulz.

Oh, and I checked the website rustypup - yes, it has an ATI card.
Also it has no hardware drivers at all for Linux on the site, just some BIOS drivers. Which lends credence to your theory that this problem is driver related - aren't all Linux hardware issues :roll:

Damn those big bad hardware vendors not bothering to write drivers for Linux!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol: actually, after trawling through bugzilla, this would appear to come back to HP's WMI hot-keys...

so more an HP fail than anything else... (their 'drivers' are fail even in a windows environment :/ ...)

<edit>
@TheModDoctor: You could attempt to roll the kernel back, (<=2.6.29, this will require that you install the new kernel and then suspend the old), or revert to an earlier version of ubuntu/openSUSE...
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

OK I used the acpi=off command to boot, and at least now the screen doesn't go blank. But instead of crashing, it now just hangs. It still loads that tiny piece of the loading bar, then just stops completely.
I'll try to get a slightly older version of openSUSE, and see if the problem persists.

And the reason as to why I go through with all this agonizing irritation, is because I require Linux for my studies. We are doing C, and with the g++ compiler which is built into Linux and simple to use. The lecturer told us that they strongly recommend for us to use Linux for the duration of the course, because the compiler in windows and linux are a bit different. So if we run into compile errors, it would be much easier for the lecturers to assist us. Or that's what they told us anyway... And we also have to work on Linux during the practical sessions, so I think it will be easier if I just use the same thing at home.

Personally I just wish the university would brighten up and trash Linux completely, because some of my friends also experienced trouble with the installation and partitioning. Lol, the other day during practical a whole lab crashed while we were busy on linux, so they had to move us to a different one :lol:

Edit:
Oh, and since I'm completely new to Linux, I have no idea how to rollback to an older kernel version when I can't even boot into opensuse. I googled it a bit, but also didn't find any understandable explanation on how to do it. But thanks for the suggestion.
I think I'll first try an older version of opensuse before I'll try the rollback :wink:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Here's a solution.

1. Install Windows.
2. Install VMWare GSX
3. Run Linux virtually
4. ????
5. Get a BJ from a supermodel
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:2. Install VMWare GSX
or better yet, xVM....
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

I installed openSUSE in VBox, but it wasn't all that stable. But I'm sure the reason for that is because I used an older version of VBox. I'll get the newer one some time and try that again.

I also installed openSUSE 11.1 today - and it installed and booted without any problems :D The only problem I have with it so far is that it refuses to run in any resolution other than 800x600, which is annoying. But I'm sure that there is some setting hidden in very small print somewhere that can force a resolution somehow...

I have also found that installing Kubuntu 9.10 works if I choose the Kernel option acpi=off during installation. It then installs and boots without issue. But I was seriously annoyed with the lack of features in Kubuntu. About no system options, like settings for that horrid looking grub loader, and almost no packages was installed with it. To get the g++ compiler I had to figure out how to install it off the dvd from Terminal.

But at least I now have 2 options for a reasonably working linux environment.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, and humor :)