PCF March 2010 Magazine

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

PCF March 2010 Magazine

Post by Stuart »

I see the crowd from the recent KZN meet got their picture in the magazine this month. Page 20. Nice. :)

I haven't read very much of the magazine yet--little more than Nab's Soap Box rant and a couple of letters (did KB award Mail of the Month this month?)--but it struck me (pleasantly) once again that there is actual hardware on the cover.

Just a few months ago we were being told that monthly sales drop just below Casper the Friendly Ghost sales if a scantily clad cover model does not adorn the front. What happened?

(I'm not complaining ... just interested.)
americantsm1
Queen of the Damned

Re: PCF March 2010 Magazine

Post by americantsm1 »

ran out of models?
ran out of money for models?
decided to hold an in house competition for who gets to be on the cover and got bombarded with Jamin pics so they couldn't chose a model?
There comes a time for every vampire when the idea of eternity becomes momentarily unbearable. Living in the shadows, feeding in the darkness with only your own company to keep, rots into a solitary, hollow existence.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I have not got my copy yet - I am a pleb again and buy it from the shops.
Glingfram

Post by Glingfram »

Great issue1 Really enjoyed the bit on making surround sound headphones.

The Fastest drive I've seen is the Seagate Cheetah that spins at around 1500rpm, and has a sustained transfer rate of more than 100mb a second. I'm still very sceptical of SSD drives because of their limited lifespan, their tendancies to slow down quite a bit over time and when they get full, and relatively high cost per Gig ratio. Also, I've seen that data recovery from SSD drives are pretty tough or next to impossible. They are amazingly fast when new and uncluttered though!

I was also thinking that since PCF included a nice gamers Linux on their disc, they might dedicate a page to Linux for how-to's, software etc. For anybody who doesn't want to go the Windows route.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Glingfram wrote:Great issue1 Really enjoyed the bit on making surround sound headphones.

The Fastest drive I've seen is the Seagate Cheetah that spins at around 1500rpm, and has a sustained transfer rate of more than 100mb a second. I'm still very sceptical of SSD drives because of their limited lifespan, their tendancies to slow down quite a bit over time and when they get full, and relatively high cost per Gig ratio. Also, I've seen that data recovery from SSD drives are pretty tough or next to impossible. They are amazingly fast when new and uncluttered though!

I was also thinking that since PCF included a nice gamers Linux on their disc, they might dedicate a page to Linux for how-to's, software etc. For anybody who doesn't want to go the Windows route.
Welcome to the forum man! Just to let you know, the linux thing has been discussed ad nauseum around these parts with the decision being that distros may be included on the cover disc, but the magazine is still PC Format, NOT Linux Format and will stay that way.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Glingfram wrote:I'm still very skeptical of SSD drives because of their limited lifespan, their tendencies to slow down quite a bit over time and when they get full...
Quoted lines are on the verge of being solved - if not already.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Sojourn wrote:
Glingfram wrote:I'm still very skeptical of SSD drives because of their limited lifespan, their tendencies to slow down quite a bit over time and when they get full...
It's called trim, I believe.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Sojourn wrote:
Read here: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531

And here: http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

As Soj said it is on the verge of being solved. With TRIM things have improved big time.

/wonder if he will come back to this thread to see those articles...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Glingfram

Post by Glingfram »

Yeah those articles are interesting, and there will definitely be progress on those drives, they are the future, it just needs a bit of time before it viable for the general user.

One of my clients uses Revit to render images, and the SSD brought the time down from 20min a render to 9. I was pretty impressed with that.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I love the models, but the hardware on the cover did it for me! Did'nt think this day would come...
I was looking for hardware reviews (in print) as I wanted to buy future proof and PCFormat was the ONLY mag with a real hardware review. Can we please have more?
Hail to the King baby! Lets rock! - Duke Nukem