SP's Grammar thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

SP's Grammar thread

Post by StarPhoenix »

What, in simple terms, is the distinction between "due to" or "owing to"?
At school, I was told to use the latter. Is this always correct or are there exceptions?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: SP's Grammar thread

Post by Stuart »

The ultra-pedantic amongst us (rusty, for example, and possibly Stone_Ice) would argue that "due" should never be used as a preposition, but only as an adjective.

So, for example, "the cricket was delayed due to rain" is incorrect, but "the delay in the cricket was due to rain" is acceptable since in the latter example "due" acts as an adjective modifying "delay."

Bit of a moot point, if you ask me. My dad has corrected me on this a hundred times, but in my view "due to" has become so common it should be accepted (and probably is by most people).
ADT

Post by ADT »

So this is like a online-dictionary thingy?? :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Stuart wrote: and possibly Stone_Ice
:lol:

Good idea for a thread SP. English feels like a second language to me lately. :?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

This is a very good idea. The quality of my English often nose dives from the already low perch it rests on. I will appreciate any corrections suggested to me. I am Afrikaans, but English is the better of the two languages I speak and the only one I use in a more than everyday simple conversational kind of way.

(No doubt I have already made a few mistakes in the above few sentences :? )
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

caused by = due to
because of = owing to

but it really shouldn't make a difference these days as only a minuscule percentage of the population would feel it necessary to hunt you down and put you to the torch for the abuse of either...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Living on the Coast makes things easy, my daily operating language (in most cases) is English,
I work in a medical call centre environment, dealing with doctors and their receptionists,
I am shocked at the illiteracy of some people working in the 'professional' world.
Temporary Absence
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Anthro wrote:I am shocked at the illiteracy of some people working in the 'professional' world.
I always make exceptions for people who speak English as a second language.
There seems to be a bit of a double standard, especially with Afrikaans people as we expect them to be fully bi-lingual here in KZN, while we are a lot more tolerant of Zulu first language people...

I say if English is not your first language you are allowed to make a mess of it occasionally.

My tolerance is however limited to the spoken word.
When typing an email you have a spell checker which also polices your grammar, and if you are too lazy to use it to not look like an illiterate then I have little sympathy for you.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

jamin_za wrote: I say if English is not your first language you are allowed to make a mess of it occasionally.
I envy you actually (since im still on the desktop support section)
In a sense when you only do 'server' support you generally speak to quite intelligent people, however the questions become slightly harder..
Temporary Absence
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Stuart wrote:The ultra-pedantic amongst us (rusty, for example, and possibly Stone_Ice) would argue that "due" should never be used as a preposition, but only as an adjective.

So, for example, "the cricket was delayed due to rain" is incorrect, but "the delay in the cricket was due to rain" is acceptable since in the latter example "due" acts as an adjective modifying "delay."

Bit of a moot point, if you ask me. My dad has corrected me on this a hundred times, but in my view "due to" has become so common it should be accepted (and probably is by most people).

You wouldn't think it, but I'm something of a grammar-nazi myself. I noticed this while proofreading our company's website
and being annoyed at errors that some might consider trivial. I have even been accused of nit-picking.
Disclaimer:I make no guarantees that I shall not committ any atrocities against the English language in this or any other thread.

The work that I have been doing has given me a reasonable excuse to spend time reading articles on grammar and punctuation online, though I forget most of it, for example, the distinction between the different types of phrases and clauses
and how to spot them in their natural habitat. I should be paying more attention.

One of the more obvious howlers [to me, at any rate] was the apparently contradictory "...working remotely onsite..."
I needed help with that one. :oops:

I may yet take a dictionary, a thesaurus and 'Fowler's Modern English Usage' to work with me, even if I don't everything he says. For example: I am in favour of "elegant variation". Seeing the same set of management buzz-words used throughout
the website grates me more than it probably should, which is when a thesaurus comes in handy.

I agree with jamin that those whose first language is not English [Kalster, you could have fooled me] should be given some
leeway. Most of the time. I am not yet so diplomatic as to want to fire off an email regarding the misuse of a word during
our tea-time gatherings.

According to Microsoft Word, the passive voice is used too often by me.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Kalster, you could have fooled me
Thanks. :)

The thing is that the relatively acceptable level of English I speak is mostly limited to the written format. Some of the words I use quite regularly I have actually heard pronounced only recently or not at all. Often when I hear it pronounced for the first time (usually in videos or movies) I am very glad that it was not me saying it, because I would have made a fool of myself.

An additional but unrelated point: I HATE it when an English person switches over to broken Afrikaans after they have heard me speak, as if they think I won't understand them otherwise. :x Similarly I think black people hate it (and they should) when someone speaks to them with that condescending accent people use only when they speak to black people.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:Some of the words I use quite regularly I have actually heard pronounced only recently or not at all. Often when I hear it pronounced for the first time (usually in videos or movies) I am very glad that it was not me saying it, because I would have made a fool of myself.
:lol:
You should meet one of the Afrikaans guys I work with... he does this frequently and I give him hell for it...

Some of his most notable attempts at pronunciation:

Epitome he pronounced "epi-toam"
Cumulative was "kew-mew-latiff"
Anthro wrote:I envy you actually (since im still on the desktop support section)
I spent 5 long years there, brother... I feel your pain :D
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Epitome he pronounced "epi-toam"
and I just read it the same way, even while knowing full well how to pronounce it in verbal conversation. :)

Some words I have been saved from mispronouncing:

meme (thanks Richard Dawkins)
superfluous (thanks Woody Allen)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

What a wonderful thread.

One of my "favourite" sayings is "refer back to". Could hit lecturers when they say that.

I agree about being more lenient towards people who have English as a second language. Goodness knows, my Afrikaans isn't that great. And my Tshwana and Sotho are even worse. (Limited to the likes of Ke Sega borotho ka thipa) But it floors me when someone says "He threw me with a stone." I have a vivid imagination and that one always looks funny in my mind.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Speaking of mispronunciations, I used to read "mistletoe" as "miss tooly" when I first starting reading of the adventures
of Asterix and thought that Getafix was a "Drud". My pronunciation of certain dinosaur names could also be moderately amusing.

I am confident that I shall find some new material for this thread at work next week.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lol we all got words wrong when we were younger.

What I never know is how to pronounce Schedule. Sometimes I use "skedjool" and other times I use "shedjool". Never know which is correct.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Heeelllp.

Does one say "a useful comment" or "an useful comment"? I know the rule about the "a" or "an" is applied if the word begins with a vowel. You would say "I had an awful day" - so why does "He made an useful comment" sound so wrong? Will have to go and look it up in my text books. Will have to remove the layer of dust first though..... and the cobwebs.....
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

I also have a problem with "an hotel" - why is it acceptable?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

The "h" is considered silent.
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

yet you do pronounce the "h"

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

fallen_angel wrote:yet you do pronounce the "h"
Very true.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Never said that English rules made sense.
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

they hardly ever do... :mrgreen:

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Well, I refuse to say an hotel. So there!
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

This is way out of my league.I still can't pronounce free and three correctly, instead I say tree have had no complaints yet.Still practice the "th" sound I still sucketh.....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"