Autohotkey! Amazing application!

Any software related topics go in here.
DAE_JA_VOO

Autohotkey! Amazing application!

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Okay, so this app is so epic, it deserves it's own thread.

Preface - I know, this app is a million years old, but I only gave it a shot now. Maybe there are other users like myself that can benefit :P

I'm obsessed with efficiency (either that, or I'm just lazy :P), so I try to use hotkeys everywhere I can. One specific case that I use(d) ALL the time was in firefox. I have the FF hotkeys absolutely dialed, it's like micro for me :P I also use a firefox extension called Firegestures which allows me to assign commands to specific mouse clicks and so on. For example, if I right click while holding the left click, it closed the current tab, and if I left click while I hold the right click, it opens up a new tab. Also, scrolling the wheel while holding the right mouse button scrolls between my tabs. These specific shortcuts are shortcuts I simply cant live without.

Ironically, that extension has caused some of the issues I'm experiencing with Firefox, but that's another story. Anyway, I'm at a point now where I just don't want to use firefox anymore, because I just feel like it's getting worse, as a browser. As such, I've recently switched over to chrome, but the lack of these shortcuts is driving me nuts - until this evening!

I found this App called autohotkey, which seriously allows you to bind anything to anything. lol. I've only spent a few minutes setting it up, but the script I have is really powerful already. For example:

Alt + Q - Next Tab
Alt + S - Previous Tab
Alt + D - Close Tab
Alt + W - Issues: "Ctrl+C, Ctrl+T, Ctrl+K, Ctrl+V, Enter" - which is basically, take what I've selected and Google it in a new tab

Scroll Lock - Take a screenshot, Launch Photoshop.exe, wait 2 seconds for it to open, Ctrl+N and Enter for a new document, Ctrl+V to paste the screenie.

I also have some bookmarks assigned to my CapsLock key, so I can press CapsLock+Q, and it launches this forum in a new tab.

I strongly suggest you give it a shot. It's really a help if you're one of us efficient types :P

Click click
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Autohotkey! Amazing application!

Post by Anakha56 »

I might find a way to use it, will investigate thanks :). DJV might I suggest a keyboard to help improve your efficiency on the forums?

JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Sojourn

Re: Autohotkey! Amazing application!

Post by Sojourn »

awesome !!
Wonder if this will work in games....