The LCD acquisition project

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

The LCD acquisition project

Post by StarPhoenix »

I am hoping to buy myself a small [25 inches or less] LCD TV soon [within the next two months] on a budget of
up to R4000.

It will be replacing my PC monitor and television set.

What do I need to know about making such a purchase in order to avoid making an expensive mistake?
Which specifications are important and which are pure marketing hype?

thank you
Last edited by StarPhoenix on 18 Feb 2010, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
DarkStar

Re: The LCD TV acquisition project

Post by DarkStar »

Personally, I would get a 23" normal PC screen and then throw in a TV-Tuner card into the PC.

Two problems solved, with change left over.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
naughty

Post by naughty »

yep agree totally with Darkstar

the Samsung P2770 is around R2999 at PC zone and its a bit bigger ie its 27" - its got an HDMI input and it also has a native res of 1920x 1080 - you can get a decent tuner for around 300 bucks but you dont even need it if you are operating from your DSTV unit - in that instance all you need is one of these to give you an audio/video connection into your usb slot

if you have an HD decoder for your DSTV then you can use a direct HDMI connection

theres many ways to playback TV from a PC monitor without needing too many additions to your PC or even to your setup

for me its ideal cos i have the extraview setup - so the HD stuff is on the big TV in the lounge and then i have the other decoder in my room to split up the extraview into my room and my brothers room - so i can watch 3 and record 3 simultaneously - if you dont have extraview its still easier to use the PC monitor as a monitor since it works better on the pc than a tv set whilst it also doubles up decently as a tv set

the 23,6" and 24" monitors are all around between R1500 and R1800 nowadays whilst a 26" TV with the tuner built in (normally analog with crappy reception) is around R4k so there is no way you should be buying the TV - an internal tv tuner card for a pc starts at R300 and an external one (which can also work standalone ie without a PC can be had starting from around R1000

right now im using a 22" monitor but plans are afoot to get the 27" P2770 cos TV looks so much better when its on a bigger screen - heres a pic of my setup

even though that doesnt show the TV in operation - ive got the DSTV working off the monitor and some great speakers and a complete surround setup with a home theatre reciever - all i need now is the Blu-Ray burner in the PC and the PC is a complete multimedia/TV unit as well :wink:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Thank you for your responses, naughty and DarkStar

I probably should have mentioned that the reason I am looking at an LCD TV rather than a monitor is that
I want to be able to plug my consoles [Xbox 360, Wii, PS2] into it.

That is quite a set of speakers you have there. Has your roof been specially reinforced?
Moses

Post by Moses »

The Xbox can connect directly via HDMI. The Wii and PS2 can connect via a cheap tuner, or that USB thing naughty posted.
I don't think it is necessary to get an LCD TV.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Just Dont go for a cheap/bottom of the range tv tuner card. At the very least, it must support the up and coming digital standards. Those cost about 600 bucks upwards. This should avoid needing a set top box when the sabc finally gets its head out its bottom.

Some tv cards will actually take video inputs. It might be worth looking for one of those.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Thank, Moses [and welcome back].

I have read that there is some lag when connecting a console to a PC monitor by way of a TV card,
but I shall try it on my old Hauppage WinTV PVR 150 and see how noticeable it is.

Prime, would I be right in assuming that any combination analogue/digital TV cards I might find for sale in South Africa
will support whatever standard is being rolled out in this country?

Thank you
StarPhoenix

Re: The LCD acquisition project

Post by StarPhoenix »

After some fiddling with my TV card's settings I managed to get a signal from my Nintendo Wii this evening.
Onscreen pointer movement is a bit jump, but that may be because I have not recalibrated my Wiimote and sensor bar.

I'll be getting my PS2 back this weekend and will test its output then.

I think that I shall leave getting a DVB-T Digital TV card until the SABC announces that it is ready to begin broadcasting using a digital signal.

Well, that sorts that out.

Is it worth getting an LED monitor now, or have they been overhyped?

Thanks once again for saving me from myself.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

:?

Does this not mean you would have to have your pc on whenever you use either console?
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

D3PART3D wrote::?

Does this not mean you would have to have your pc on whenever you use either console?
Yes, unless I opted for an external tv-tuner box.

I have narrowed my choices down to either a Samsung 2494HS or a P2450H
They both have HDMI connectors and while the 2494HS has speakers, the P2450 has the lower response time and
higher contrast ratio and goes for R200 more.

I have settled for this one and shall be placing my order next week provided that Webantics' supplier has stock. [Unless there is something better I could be getting for this price or less.]

PC Zone , unfortunately, does not ship to places outside of Durban.