win7 boot and shut down times

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Mclaren

win7 boot and shut down times

Post by Mclaren »

My notebook is taking forever to shut down, hangs on the logging off screen and sometimes never shuts down. also the boot up sometimes states i need to repair and when i instruct to restore then takes forever to do this.

i have restored the pc manually through control panel to a time when all was working well. i have run antivirus scanners and registry scans etc using cclean and avg, but still no luck.

could my HDD be packing up or is it software related. When the machine is running without these hickus nothing goes amiss. all programs run flawlessly and i have no issues with speed. so this tell me it may not be he HDD but rather windows playing up.

any advice is greatly appreciated.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: win7 boot and shut down times

Post by Monty »

reinstall windows.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
realbigdreamer

Post by realbigdreamer »

Monty wrote:reinstall windows.
Ouch! :D Uninstall AVG and download and install Avast (30mb). It can detect infections a lot better than AVG. Also, press control+alt+delete and go your task manager -> Process.

Check if any strange process are running and also note how much CPU and memory they are using. If there is a service using way more than the other, you have found the problem.

Let me know how it goes. :wink:

RBD
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Did the re-install. there were no processes hogging cpu usage.

i have only one program i may have a problem with but have already mailed for assistance on it. else all is back to normal.

just a loy of updates again. (i wish ther was a way to back up windows updates)
realbigdreamer

Post by realbigdreamer »

Did you format your HDD?

You could have saved the updates as Windows stores downloaded updates in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads. There is also a built-in-tool that you can use.

Anyway, good luck with Windows.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

yes i did, i did a complete re-install. win7 Updates missing total 38MB so not too bad i guess. AVG updates a bit more though. Can Avast run in conjunction with AVG, i heard its always good to hve more security than just one thing.

My pc is super fast now so in a way i am glad i did it. Also got rid of a lot of SW that i don't use that came with the note book.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I've never seen the point of having more than one AV running personally. Personally, I'd say just install MS Security Essentials and leave it at that.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stuart wrote:I've never seen the point of having more than one AV running personally. Personally, I'd say just install MS Security Essentials and leave it at that.
+1 for MSE

I've tried AVG and Avast, really dont like them
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

I have MSE and AVG. Thats all.
I have a license for Norton, but it interferes too much with the network.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I would actually advise against running two AV programs simultaneously. Just load MSE and leave it at that.
realbigdreamer

Post by realbigdreamer »

MSE is very popular and it's good. I personally use Avast at the moment, but I might change to MSE in the future. I just have no need to change my PC security right now.

I guess it's good you did a re-installation. After a format and clean Windows installation a PC is always really fast if you look at the boot time and time it takes to open folders and shortcuts. The trick is to make it stay that way. :wink:

RBD
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

If I were looking for a way to slow my laptop / desktop down, I'd definitely look at installing more than one AV. But seriously, one is all you need.