The Amazon Kindle Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
doo_much

The Amazon Kindle Thread

Post by doo_much »

Split by request from the Latest Purchases thread. I'm not sure that this thread will be used very much, because I don't envision--at least not in the immediate future--lots of Kindles being employed here. That said, I got myself a Kindle this week and so below follows any discussion related to this device.

(I always get this warm fuzzy feeling when I manage to split a topic without creating havoc in the existing one.)

ryanrich wrote:
Stuart wrote:Kindle.

I fully intend to start saving some shelf space.
And a tree or two while you're at it... :P
As a dedicated tree-hugger I applaud your thinking.

But a real book, treated with the proper respect, lasts for generations. Lives through power outages, falls from heights without breaking and doesn't mind being stuffed in a backpack.

And when you've finished with it you can pass it on to someone else.

I love books.

Ratso you should've built more shelves! :mrgreen:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Latest Purchases Thread

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:
Stuart wrote:Kindle.

I fully intend to start saving some shelf space.
And a tree or two while you're at it... :P
Nah ... I'll use the trees for firewood.
doo_much wrote:Ratso you should've built more shelves! :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, I'd need to build another room or two as well. As much as I love the feel of a real book, I am determined that I will acclimatise myself to this new experience.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Let me know how it goes. Do you have to download all content via 3G or does it have another interface?
And have Amazon sorted out the whole issue of deleting content from the device?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You can download via 3G, or you can download the title to your computer and then transfer it to the device. I downloaded a couple of titles to my computer at home the other night. The device arrived this morning, so when I get home tonight I'll see how the transfer goes.

Not sure about the deleting thing.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:You can download via 3G, or you can download the title to your computer and then transfer it to the device. I downloaded a couple of titles to my computer at home the other night. The device arrived this morning, so when I get home tonight I'll see how the transfer goes.

I'll Google the courtcase reference.

Have a look here. But they promised it'll never happen again.
Last edited by doo_much on 13 Jan 2010, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:You can download via 3G, or you can download the title to your computer and then transfer it to the device. I downloaded a couple of titles to my computer at home the other night. The device arrived this morning, so when I get home tonight I'll see how the transfer goes.

3G - did you have to get a Sim yourself or is it 'embedded'? Supported by Vodacom?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Amazon Kindle Thread

Post by Stuart »

It's embedded in the device. I'm not actually sure who it's supported by. The device is at home right now charging--assuming my wife connected it properly--so I'll only begin experimenting when I get home this afternoon. Maybe I'll shoot down at lunchtime.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:It's embedded in the device. I'm not actually sure who it's supported by. The device is at home right now charging--assuming my wife connected it properly--so I'll only begin experimenting when I get home this afternoon. MaybeI'll definitely shoot down at lunchtime.
Fixed that for you...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Right Ratso - How's about a review? Your initial impressions kinda thing? Pretty please?

@ryanrich
And in other news
It is little surprise that the common view held by consumers who don’t know the backstory is that going digital means going green and saving trees. Many are in for a rude awakening. When subjected to ‘cradle-to-cradle’ life cycle analysis, eReading is not nearly as green as many naively assume it is.”
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It's a little strange reading a device like this without a touch screen, and with no backlighting. That said, you get used to it pretty quickly. The text is really clear on the screen ... I wish the same could be said of my cell phone! It's actually a rather pleasant reading experience, though with one purchase--a Study Bible, in fact--I was warned that it would take longer than 60 seconds to download because of the book's size. That was at 20:00 last night and the book is still now on my device. I think Whisphernet lost it somewhere. :(

I'll give more impressions once I've used it a little more.

Incidentally, I got he Kindle with the 6" reading screen. I can't imagine what the larger one must be like; I don't think I'd like working with a device any bigger than the one I have.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Thanks.
It's actually a pity about the backligting - no reading in bed!

I'll give more impressions once I've used it a little more.
Thanks, that'll be appreciated.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Thanks.
It's actually a pity about the backligting - no reading in bed!
That's what bedside lamps are for. Or get one of these, or something similar.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart, you've been rather quiet about your new toy. Being coy with us or do you just not like it? :)

Anyway, inrelated news...
Enjoy $9.99 electronic books while you can -- for they soon may be a thing of the past.

News Corp Chief Rupert Murdoch, who oversees a media empire than includes HarperCollins books, home to authors like Michael Crichton and Janet Evanovich, made clear on Tuesday his displeasure with the low price Amazon.com Inc has set for electronic books.

In order to raise prices, Murdoch wants to renegotiate the current deal with Amazon, and said the world's largest retailer appears "ready to sit down with us again" to talk about new terms.

"We don't like the Amazon model of selling everything at $9.99," Murdoch said when asked about electronic books during a conference call with analysts on Tuesday.

"They pay us the wholesale price of $14 or whatever we charge," he said. "But I think it really devalues books and it hurts all the retailers of the hard cover books."

Amazon did not immediately respond to request for comment.

If Murdoch's HarperCollins manages to work out a new deal, it would deal a major, and perhaps final, blow to Amazon's current pricing. Just days ago, the world's largest online retailer bowed to pressure from another major publisher, Macmillan, which insisted on charging $12.99 to $14.99 for its books.

Book pricing has been key to pushing growth of Kindle e-reader since its launch in 2007, since cheap e-books help consumers justify the cost of purchasing the device. It has also put Amazon at odds with publishers, however, who say that the low prices will cannibalize sales of higher-priced hardback copies.

Fresh competition from Apple Inc -- which is rolling out the iPad -- has only cast more attention on pricing. Publishers are more anxious than ever to protect their profit margins, and now have some leverage in negotiating against Amazon.

Murdoch, while keeping mum on the exact deal with Apple, suggested the terms of are more favorable to HarperCollins than Amazon's.

"Apple, in its agreement with us, which is not been disclosed in detail, does allow for a variety of slightly higher prices," he said.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

No, I like it. I've actually gotten used to it quite quickly. Just haven't thought to come comment here. The wireless connection is a little iffy where I live, but I haven't really tried it much outside of where I am.

I wondered how long it would take before price hikes kicked in. I'll still get Kindle edition books wherever possible, even if the price is the same as hardcovers, because it just saves so much space.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

How is this thing better than a pdf reader or eBook reader on a phone with a big screen? I have used Wattpad every now and then as well. A lady friend of mine has got one and loves it, but I nearly pooped my pants when she told me how much she paid for it (i.e. thousands). Would you say it is worth it Stuart?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

KALSTER wrote:How is this thing better than a pdf reader or eBook reader on a phone with a big screen?
well, for starters, you're actually expected to pay for the content... which is delivered direct to the unit... unlike the "other" source... <jamin's collection of furry fanfics...>

also, the screen is designed to prevent searing the eyeballs, whilst keeping text legible...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, it's seriously easier on the eyes than any phone, or even computer screen, I've read on. It's really like reading text on paper.

There is Kindle software available for PC, iPhone and Blackberry, btw, so if you have an iPhone or Blackberry you can actually purchase Kindle books and read them straight from your phone without having to buy the device. That said, I've compared reading on the actual device (mine) to reading on an iPhone (friends) and the device is a million times easier on the eyes.

As rusty says, a big part of it is just the convenience. You get a free wireless connection to the Kindle store, so you can browse and see which titles you want. You set up your credit card details on the Amazon website via your PC, and then when you see a book you want you just click "Buy" and it delivers it straight to your device. You can also browse the site on your computer and purchase from there, and it send your purchases straight to your device. So you can start reading within 60 seconds (sometimes longer, depending on the size of the book and the complexity of the layout) of seeing a book you want. You can also preview a book, in which case it sends you a sample of the first chapter or two to read before you purchase.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Ja, it's seriously easier on the eyes than any phone, or even computer screen, I've read on. It's really like reading text on paper.
That all makes sense I guess if you are a big reader. My friend says that once the text is on the screen it uses no battery power, making a charge go a long way, which is very cool indeed. I love reading paper books and I have read one or two books on the cell phone without too many problems, but sitting reading in front of a PC sucks big time. The major appeal based on you guys' descriptions is that it is made to simulate classical book reading as closely as possible, while taking care of some of the schlep.

Ok, ok. I agree, its cool. *sheesh* :|
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

NVM. Kindle rocks
Last edited by Monty on 23 Sep 2010, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Kindle May Get Touchscreen To Battle Apple's iPad

My initial impression when I first opened the Kindle was that it felt weird holding a device like that without touch screen. Having used it for several weeks now, I feel that a touch screen would be completely superfluous. I can't imagine any necessary functionality that would be brought to the device with the inclusion of a touch screen.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Amazon again cuts Kindle price as iPad raises heat
Reuters wrote: Amazon.com Inc cut the price on its most expensive Kindle electronic reader, the latest salvo in a price war in response to Apple Inc's pricier iPad tablet computer.

It was the second price cut for the online retailer's line of e-book readers in as many weeks. Last week, Amazon cut the price of its cheaper Kindle with a 6-inch screen to $189, hours after bookstore chain Barnes & Noble Inc lowered the price of its "Nook" e-reader to $199. Both had cost $259.

Amazon and Barnes & Noble could be forced to cut prices further on their devices to compete with the iPad, Which also functions as an e-book reader and which sold more than 2 million units in its first 60 days on the market.

"(Prices) could go to zero," said Needham & Co analyst Charles Wolf, who said manufacturers should price the devices low to drive sales of e-books. If priced correctly, e-books would make up for any losses on the e-readers themselves.

"Amazon's model should be selling books- and to hell with the device itself," Wolf said. "The iPad is raising hell with everybody."

The price cut on Thursday was on the Kindle DX, which comes with a 9.7-inch screen. The company said it updated that reader to include a new graphite enclosure and a new, high contrast electronic ink display.

The reader will sell for $379, down from $489, and have free 3G wireless connection with no monthly bills or annual contracts, as the earlier model did, the company said. The new Kindle DX is available for pre-order starting today and it ships July 7.

The latest price cut comes as retailers such as Amazon and specialty book store chain Barnes & Noble try to protect their share of the e-books market, the rare bright spot in the moribund bookselling industry.

Earlier this week, Barnes & Noble said sales on its website, which includes e-books sold via the Nook, would rise this year by 75 percent and reach $1 billion. It added the Nook will be central to reaching its goal of winning 25 percent of the e-book market within a few years. It currently has about 20 percent of the e-books market.

But Barnes & Noble, the No. 1 U.S. bookstore chain by sales, also warned that investments to develop the Nook and its e-bookstore would weigh on results this year.

In addition to the iPad, the Nook and Kindle also compete with Sony's Reader device. Industry experts and rivals say the field will get even busier, with more e-readers expected this year. Borders Group Inc is set to launch its own e-bookstore soon but is not developing its own reader.

Apple's iPad, launched in April at a starting price of $499, but unlike competing models, it has a color screen and can be used as a full computer.

Still, some analysts say dedicated e-readers such as Nook and Kindle are appealing because they consume less power, are easier to read on, and weigh less.

Kindle's base price plunged even lower on Thursday morning to $149.99 -- but only for one day -- on Woot.com, the quirky online store whose purchase by Amazon was announced on Thursday. By 9:30 AM ET, the e-readers were already sold out.

Shares of Amazon.com were down 1.2 percent on Thursday, while Barnes & Noble shares were down 2.1 percent and Apple shares were down 2 percent.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Reuters wrote: Still, some analysts say dedicated e-readers such as Nook and Kindle are appealing because they consume less power, are easier to read on, and weigh less.
See, I'm keen to read something on a iPad just to see this. The Kindle is definitely easier to read on than a computer screen. I'd like to see what difference it makes reading on an iPad.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

sorely tempted, but the store selection for za is just so... well... sad... so, still not worth it....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:sorely tempted, but the store selection for za is just so... well... sad... so, still not worth it....
Yes, it is somewhat disappointing not to be able to get hold of some of the more tantalising titles. :(
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:sorely tempted, but the store selection for za is just so... well... sad... so, still not worth it....
+1

Also this:
Important Product Information for Your Country

* Your international shipment is subject to customs duties, import taxes and other fees levied by the destination country. We will show you these fees upon checkout. Learn more
* Kindle ships with a micro-USB cable for charging your Kindle via a computer USB port
* You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime. Service fees for transferring personal documents via Whispernet are currently $.99 per megabyte. Learn more
* Wireless download times can vary based on 3G or EDGE/GPRS coverage, signal strength and file size.
* Kindle books, newspapers, and magazines are currently priced and sold in United States dollars
* Blogs are currently not available for your country
* Kindle includes a 1-year limited warranty. See details
* Use of the Kindle is subject to the Kindle License Agreement and Terms of Use
:eyebrow:
Ratso - is that correct?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey