Discuss General Game development(No programming required)

Anything to do with PC gaming goes in here.
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

Thats right. I mean, if you take your HL box, etc. you'll see somewhere it says that HL is based upon the Quake-Engine.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

/me bad
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
capanno

Last Attacker!

Post by capanno »

Last Attacker!

Just let me know if I can help you with anything. Moddeling, like landskapes and props and so on...
I can give it to you in .3ds format

Cheers

Capanno :arrow:[/img][/quote]
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

Great! I was looking for a modeller! I'll let you know (as soon as the exams are over :roll: )
capanno

<<>>

Post by capanno »

Cool!

Send me a PM or so...

Are you studying?

Capanno :arrow:
Ghost_of_Darkness

Post by Ghost_of_Darkness »

It's great to see S.A gamer's take an interest in game developement. I've been creating Half-Life and Counter-Strike maps for the last 2 years. I haven't released any but I have taken some of them to my local internet cafe, where I usually test them. I'm currently studying at Vaal Tech and I'm doing Delphi programming, but I want to learn C++ or Visual C++ as it will be easier to program games using them. Does anyone know where I can learn to program in C++?

In life there are only two certainties, you live and you die
sinner777

games

Post by sinner777 »

Hey Guys

I haven't read the whole thread, but all games need good music, so contact me if you need any done!
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Ghost_of_Darkness wrote:It's great to see S.A gamer's take an interest in game developement. I've been creating Half-Life and Counter-Strike maps for the last 2 years. I haven't released any but I have taken some of them to my local internet cafe, where I usually test them. I'm currently studying at Vaal Tech and I'm doing Delphi programming, but I want to learn C++ or Visual C++ as it will be easier to program games using them. Does anyone know where I can learn to program in C++?
You can do your MCSD at any major training centre with C++ as your focus. Or a IT diploma or degree. The BSC Computer Science course starts you off with pascal in the first year and C++ in your second and third year. So it depends how far you want to go.
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

I'm Studying @ RAU for Bsc. IT.
The first years do C++ and VB.NET
The second years (where I am) do JAVA and Database related systems(ie. SQL, VBA, VB.NET)
I'm not sure about the final year except for the big practical project but so far, stuff was cool here, although there is also a bit of math and extra curriculum subjects involved in the first 2 years.
The honours year is going to be cool where we'll be doing OpenGL, AI, Optimization, Compiler construction, and few other cool stuff.

Oh, and the degree is accredated with the British Computer Sociaty (if that means anything to you).

Just thought I'd give an option to Ghost_of_Darkness.
Ghost_of_Darkness

I've been trying to learn C++ here at Tech because they used to offer it to students that studied Computer Systems, which is what I'm currently studying, but this year they stopped teaching C++ and only concentrate on Delphi. My Delphi lecturer is trying to organise me C++ classes if they are still being taught. :twisted:

Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Y0da »

Last-Attacker wrote:I'm Studying @ RAU for Bsc. IT.
The second years (where I am) do JAVA and Database related systems(ie. SQL, VBA, VB.NET)
I'm not sure about the final year except for the big practical project but so far, stuff was cool here, although there is also a bit of math and extra curriculum subjects involved in the first 2 years.
The honours year is going to be cool where we'll be doing OpenGL, AI, Optimization, Compiler construction, and few other cool stuff.

Oh, and the degree is accredated with the British Computer Sociaty (if that means anything to you).

Hmm...The curriculem might have changed slightly. I studied through UNISA bout 10 years ago. I majored in Computer Science and Quantitive management which is basicaly stats. I had courses like AI systems, Robotica, Applied Maths, Statisics, Information Technology, History of Computers and a whole lot more. 8)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

In third year (2 years ago) we got to play with assembler, and some other stuff... damn memory...
The "major" thing is the group-project you have to do, but it's lots of fun :D
I think you might also do some project management...
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Ghost_of_Darkness wrote:I've been trying to learn C++ here at Tech because they used to offer it to students that studied Computer Systems, which is what I'm currently studying, but this year they stopped teaching C++ and only concentrate on Delphi. My Delphi lecturer is trying to organise me C++ classes if they are still being taught. :twisted:
My Mother's a What??? :twisted:
Stopped teaching C++ for DELPHI!!!
[KyleVoice]You Bastards[/KyleVoice]
All Good Programmers should Know C++. It's the best thing since, Well... C. :wink:
Delphi sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before. I know. I'm updating an App that was written in delphi many moons ago and believe me, I think that with the amount of time I've spent trying to figure out what's going on, I could have rewritten the whole thing in C++ and there would be no errors.
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Someday everyone will C the light... :wink:
Ghost_of_Darkness

You're telling me? I should know since I'm learning it. They used to begin with C++ and then only in the second year did they move on to Delphi. But not anymore. I just read that the Half-Life 2 SDK will be using C++ as it's programming language so I'd better start learning quickly. :twisted:

Ghost_of_Darkness

Check out this site http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.p ... ce_mod_faq. It has some very kewl stuph on the HL2 Source engine. :twisted:

Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Indeed. In fact, almost every single game you can extend in that sense (as with quake and HL) is in C/C++
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

Yeah I love C++! When I started programming in it, I never looked back!
I don't think C++ will ever die out.
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

wit_skapie wrote:

In third year (2 years ago) we got to play with assembler, and some other stuff... damn memory...
The "major" thing is the group-project you have to do, but it's lots of fun :D
I think you might also do some project management...
The Assembly stuff we're going to do, is the whole program written in Assembly? Cool. Who's the lecturer?
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Well um er I'm long over due an update.

Things have been so hectic over the past few months.So I got bad news and some good news.

The project I was working on bombed out on me.

Had 1 too many bugs.
Had problems with the engine's Cscript

I used the Genesis 3d engine, which I have removed since.Now I'm using the 3d game studio A6 engine which is so much better.

So Now I have to redo the whole thing I might be able to save the .map files and whatever else I can convert to .3DS.

But what I've done up to now is rebuilding a test level on the 3d game studio engine. Believe it or not I'm busy rebuilding Dukenukem 3d.I'm doing this just to learn the basics of the new engine.

So I have not given up yet on the complex world on 3d programming. :lol:
Psych0_Cr1tt3r

Post by Psych0_Cr1tt3r »

wizardofid wrote:Had 1 too many bugs.
Only one? I r impressed hey :D
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Psych0_Cr1tt3r wrote:
wizardofid wrote:Had 1 too many bugs.
Only one? I r impressed hey :D
hahahaha funny..!!! :evil: :evil:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

wizardofid wrote:So I have not given up yet on the complex world on 3d programming. :lol:
Buy the way what you are doing is game scripting not 3D programming which would entail that you actually write the 3D engine. :wink:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Well yeah but who in there right mind has the time to program a fully working 3d engine...??

Well I do write Cscript plugins for the engine...for stuff like bullet trials or particle effects and stuff like that....but programming a 3d engine.....your must be nuts... :lol: :lol: :lol:
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Well Kronos and myself are busy with one. So you would call us nuts? :lol:
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932