image issues

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
Mclaren

image issues

Post by Mclaren »

So i am using Visual Studio web developer to design my webpages.

all is well and when i view the files from my local machine the webpages look and act fine. as soon as i post them i have the following:

On opera, all is well
On internet explorer, some images are moved and some images are too big.

i am not sure if i can post my website link, (it is business related) but i cannot figure it out and need some help.
rustypup

Re: image issues

Post by rustypup »

and ffox?
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Post the link. Its cool
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

www.lenzaluworx.co.za

have not tried FF. will check now, i have to install it first.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Server not found on my side.
c0d3r

Post by c0d3r »

You have some random javascript text on the http://www.lenzaluworx.co.za/company.htm page above the "About" header. And on the http://lenzaluworx.co.za/terms.htm page. And on the http://lenzaluworx.co.za/contact.htm page. :|
Clicking on the Products links does nothing except reload the page you're currently on.
I don't know if it's just me sitting across the pond, but your site loads slower than expected.
Not sure why you're images aren't loading, soz, but the images that are visible on the site looks awrite.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

fire fox looks okay too.

As for the random crap. I used another website as a template. Still working on it to make it as much of my own as possible.

I am not sure what all that stuff means, so i have left it in for now.

I see the pages load slow. Is there something i can do to fix this.
I am thinking of removing all javascripts from the pages. and not having a drop down list for the products, i think i will rather have a page that lists all the products and from there once you click on a product it will take you to the necessary product page. do you think the dropping of the javascript will speed up the load times ?
I am trying to make the CSS files smaller as there is a lot of stuff in them that is not needed.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

When I try to use 'View Image' on one of the jpg images that doesn't show, I get a 'Not Found' error message.

Are you sure that the jpg images are in the correct folder and named correctly? That's the only thing I can think of that can causes that.

Edit: I found another possible cause. In IIS, you can add request filtering, which is meant to block access to certain types of files, like the code files. It might be that the .jpg extension has been added to this list. In IIS7, it's under 'Request Filtering' on the site settings.
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

not sure, cause i have created a test page (which will soon replace the original index page:

www.lenzaluworx.co.za/test.htm

on this page my jpgs work fine. both pages are using the same style sheets etc, all the files are in the correct places and named correctly.

i am busy running through the code to see if there is something amiss.

I will find the error. i am very new to this so its a learning curve.
endev8003

Post by endev8003 »

Err, I posted in response to your other thread. My mistake :oops:

For the differences in size and positioning of the images (that display), that's likely due to differences in web browsers.

http://www.w3schools.com has a lot of good tutorials and reference pages, so take a look at that. They also explain differences between browsers for each tag and what properties aren't supported (like IE and inherit).

As for the jpegs not displaying, I'm a bit stumped. Only other thing I can think of is that the user account that the server uses doesn't have access to those images. But it is odd that certain images display and others do not.

Edit: Fixed URL :oops:
Three Sheets Dutong: That stuff tastes like vomit baked in a glaze of goat hair and garnished with a sprinkling of horse dung.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

@endev, its cool, at least i can get all the info here in one thread.

i have picked up another issue. on ie 6, my styles on the test page cause the PNG's transparnce to disappear. again all is fine on ie 8, opera, ff.

it seems like an issue when trying to satisfy all browsers. what work in 1 might not work in another.

i will get it licked though. i am enjoying this, and its quite a cool learning curve.

in total i have probably spent no more than 50 hours working on the website with 0% knowledge prior and i have already learnt so much.