Viruses, hackers and crackers
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

What has internet safety come to?

Post by wizardofid »

Yesterday I was forced to clean house after I got a real nasty rootkit virus which disabled my system restore infected svchost.exe, even went as far as disabling safeboot.

This morning I turned the firewall off for a second...And "blam"
I got screwed again....Luckily I was able to recover from it.
So I decided I had enough.

Currently have the following installed.

PC Tools Firewall Plus.

SUPERantispyware.

Avast.

Spybot Search and Destroy.

While writing this my network connection is as quite as a mouse.
Now I can sleep sound in knowing that I am at least protected some what...to some extent

All I need now is a registry protector software to really put a spanner in the mix....

Why has it come to this protecting your valuables like Fort Knox and stripping away the enjoyment what was once the internet.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Mr_Norris

Re: What has internet safety come to?

Post by Mr_Norris »

I can't believe how you are getting nailed.

I use:

- Spybot
- Windows (7) firewall
- Avast

And I have had not one issue for months, seriously.

This is on my laptop, and desktop, both are connected to the net when they're on.

You sure its nothing hiding on your system?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

wizardofid, are you driving torrents?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Nope don't have the bandwidth needed only get 500Mb data bundle a month on average.

I visit two sites on a daily bases pcf and thegamecreators and when doing research for modeling on google but that is it.My net connection doesn't allow any thing else....

can't even play cs:s source have a 2500 + ping *sad panda*

Since my 500mb is limited I don't load java, flash or pictures by default and only when I have to.I'm also very selective on what I download because of the little cap I have.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, what are you doing online? The only security I have is the Windows Firewall and Antivir, and those two together keep my PC protected pretty well. I haven't had any problems at all with this combination.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Yikes.

I surf the ***hole of the internet and the last time I had a serious virus was about 4 years ago. I'm not even that cautious about where I go and what I do. Just keeping my AV up to date is enough.

Mr_Norris may be onto something - you probably have some AIDS lurking on your machine causing this. I doubt very much it's something infecting you from the net.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jamin_za wrote:....you probably have some AIDS lurking on your machine causing this. I doubt very much it's something infecting you from the net.
+++1
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Yeah I'm not getting infected via the net.I'm getting infected via other computers.....

I made a rule now no one comes near my PC within 10 feet with USB storage device or lan cable even with antivirus installed....

I have lost far too much data because of viruses Trojans spyware adware and what else not...

I lost data that I downloaded back in 1998 some were some small utilities other textures game audio even lost my 3D gamestudio A6 Activation key.Try explaining to the guys over there hey I have lost my key for a engine you no longer support may I please have another one?

Today I drew the line I'm fed up had enough I never use to get the stuff and I now I do all the time..
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I use linux for my work machine and windows 7 with KAV 2010 with my home pc. No issues
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Psi_Co_killa

Post by Psi_Co_killa »

wizardofid wrote:All I need now is a registry protector software to really put a spanner in the mix....
i realise this post is a bit old,but maybe u still havent got what u were looking 4...
there's an app called MJ Regwatcher - i think i got it from pendriveapps.com...(not really sure tho...just Google it.)
it alerts u of any changes about to be made to the registry -(edit:and asks for permission) Tiny install - 2.3 Mb when installed - its a 1.3 Mb zip.file download

also have a look at Spyware Terminator - it could be more like what u r looking for (more resource heavy tho) and just put it in "deny" mode before plugging any removable media in (blocks ALL processes + i mean ALL processes -i couldnt figure out why none of my Programs would work 1 night - then realised ST was in deny mode...)

Hope that helps...
Regards
Psi_
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Yeah thanks.

But I sorted the problem destroyed all media from the last 2 and half years completely wiped the HDD's and started a new decided to cut my losses and get it over and done with.

Currently only running PCtools firewall plus and avast the firewall pretty much does the job the end.