Zen and the art of interface design

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Zen and the art of interface design

Post by StarPhoenix »

Recently, I was asked whether I would be interested in doing some software testing from an end-user/data capturer point-of view.

This entails giving my opinion on the look and feel of the software system rather than the more arcane aspects of software
development such as adhering to "business rules", "standards" or programming jiggery-pokery.

Having listed what I see as the shortcomings of the welcome screen, I started looking at the rest of the system this afternoon.

Knowing next to nothing about what works and is acceptable in interface design, I though I might ask for some advice here.

What range or combination of colours is acceptable on a web-based data capture page?
The one I am looking it is made up of various shades of grey and a teal gradient on title bars.
This looks rather uninspiring to me. [Then again, purple, pink and yellow probably wouldn't go down very well]

I am toying with the idea of incorporating some of the client's colours [shades of yellow or mustard] into parts of the interface,
more specifically into the title bars and am wondering who well that works against a grey background.

How difficult and time-consuming is it for someone using ASP.Net to make changes to colour schemes, layouts and menu
behaviour?

As always, your help is much appreciated.
What range or combination of colours is acceptable on a web-based data capture page?
The one I am looking it is made up of various shades of grey and a teal gradient on title bars.
This looks rather uninspiring to me. [Then again, purple, pink and yellow probably wouldn't go down very well]

I am toying with the idea of incorporating some of the client's colours [shades of yellow or mustard] into parts of the interface,
more specifically into the title bars and am wondering who well that works against a grey background.

How difficult and time-consuming is it for someone using ASP.Net to make changes to colour schemes, layouts and menu
behaviour?

Last edited by StarPhoenix on 24 Nov 2009, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Testing software

Post by Bladerunner »

StarPhoenix wrote:Recently, I was asked whether I would be interested in doing some software testing from an end-user/data capturer point-of view.

This entails giving my opinion on the look and feel of the software system rather than the more arcane aspects of software
development such as adhering to "business rules", "standards" or programming jiggery-pokery.

Had a module at univ on this. Called "User Interfaces"....

Having listed what I see as the shortcomings of the welcome screen, I started looking at the rest of the system this afternoon.

Knowing next to nothing about what works and is acceptable in interface design, I though I might ask for some advice here.

Never ever use colours that will cause eye fatigue. This includes, but is not limited to: Yellow, bright green, red, etc

You could, but yellow isn't easy on the eyes ;)

behaviour?

Not really much of an effort provided the stylesheets were done properly.

If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Re: Zen and the art of interface design

Post by StarPhoenix »

Thank you

Where is the best place to put "next" and "previous" navigation buttons?

edit/

Seems I misunderstood what it is that I supposed to be doing and overstepped my mandate. :oops:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot