Getting to the root of piracy (Office 2007)?

Any software related topics go in here.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Getting to the root of piracy (Office 2007)?

Post by Bladerunner »

Sojourn wrote:Bladerunner, nice one.
Can you say reggolyek backwards? :wink:
No keylogger. I'm more than willing to share the code to prove it.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Right, so they called Jill back a few hours later and proudly informed her that they had obtained an Office 2003 license for her. Since she uses Office 2003 at home, this might have worked, but given that the selling point of the machine in the first place was Office 2007 she turned down their kind offer. She insisted on O2K7 or a refund, and they agreed to refund her.

They then asked for her banking details. She asked if they could rather just reverse the charge on her credit card, but they said that this would have had to be done within 24 hours, so they would have to do a transfer instead. (I have no clue as to the validity of that claim. She purchased the machine last Wednesday.) She then stated her assumption that she would be refunded the full amount, to which the manager told her that he would have to check with the owner, because there is normally a 15% handling fee. Of course, she kicked up a fuss about this, so he told her to call back in an hour.

When she called back, the owner was in store and happened to answer the phone, so she asked him about the handling fee. He said that they would not enforce it, and would refund her the full amount. This could not be done today, though, because it must first go through to their accounts department, so it could take two days. She should have her refund in her account by the end of the week.

When I was there this morning, the manager was very polite with Jill. When I opened my mouth, however, I got the impression that he was a lot more curt. I figured it was my imagination, but this afternoon when I spoke to Jill she commented on the same thing. :lol:

Anyway, let's see what happens at the end of the week and take it from there.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Sweet. WD helping your friend like this! :wink:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

What a run around just because some shmuck thought he saw an opportunity to pull the wool over a customers eyes.
Hope the refund goes smoothly from here on in.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You need to report them.

MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:You need to report them.

It was only after I mentioned the BSA that they even entertained a refund in the first place. It's really not my place to report them though. Jill says she may go ahead and report them anyway after she has her refund, but we'll see then.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Stuart wrote: They then asked for her banking details. She asked if they could rather just reverse the charge on her credit card, but they said that this would have had to be done within 24 hours, so they would have to do a transfer instead.
This wasn't usually the case as far as I remember... But there's a bunch of new credit card rules nowadays.

At least it got sorted out ;)
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
doo_much wrote:You need to report them.

It was only after I mentioned the BSA that they even entertained a refund in the first place. It's really not my place to report them though. Jill says she may go ahead and report them anyway after she has her refund, but we'll see then.

They offer an award.

Click the link, you know you want to. It's the right thing to do... :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Well done.
That said, this woman still need a :smack: for not listening in the first place.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Sojourn wrote:Well done.
That said, this woman still need a :smack: for not listening in the first place.
+1

Although her being female probably makes her not listening to sound advice mandatory. :|
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Well, once she gets a refund we start the process all over. Shall we see if she has learned her lesson?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Stu, you have far more patience than me. :|
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Sojourn wrote:Stu, you have far more patience than me. :|
And you are to be a daddy, how much patience do you think you will have then? :P

Glad to hear it is getting sorted out but I would report them still :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote: Glad to hear it is getting sorted out but I would report them still :).
So would I, but it's not my call from here.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
Anakha56 wrote: Glad to hear it is getting sorted out but I would report them still :).
So would I, but it's not my call from here.
An anonymous tip and no-one is the wiser ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Or to be sure of anonymity, tell us it is out of your hands...and then report them.

Edit: On second (first) thought, if they got into trouble over a complaint that has the exact particulars as this one... :oops:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

oh lord... any one of us could report them on this ground! :wink: hell, i would even do it for a pepsi! lol!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm not opposed to reporting them, and should my opinion be asked I certainly will suggest it. However, nothing will be reported at least until a refund is secured by the end of the week.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Sorry Stu for hijacking the thread, but you say there was no sticker with the machine, I have a couple of retail versions of office 2003 for my older PC's, these came with the PC's when i bought them. the stickers are still on the media cases. must i attach them to the pc's. if i do, and they get nicked, surely the person whom steals the pc will have the licence to my software ? can i keep the license sticker seperate from the machine.

Also has anyone tried to explain to the insurance co, that the software is worth more than the pc ?, we use a small dongle for our software, its an alladin key, looks like a memory stick but i have been told these things are worth 10k+.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

MS always wants you to attach the license sticker to the PC on which it is installed, but technically you don't have to. As long as you have the license sticker you can use it. I never attach retail license stickers to cases, because I'm constantly changing and it's a pain to peel these things off again. If it's OEM/DSP it's different, obviously, because then the software goes with the machine when it's sold.

Still waiting for the refund from Dolphin, btw.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Refunded in full! :yay:

She's actually asking me for advice BEFORE buying this time (and she wants to buy new).

:lol:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Stuart wrote:Refunded in full! :yay:

She's actually asking me for advice BEFORE buying this time (and she wants to buy new).

:lol:
Hurray for sanity!
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Well handled mousey!

But I do have one problem with this....
doo_much wrote:
+1

Although her being female probably makes her not listening to sound advice mandatory. :|
His comment is sexist and is likely to keep him single for a loooong long time :twisted: