PCFormat Disc November

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: PCFormat Disc November

Post by Stuart »

I'm fairly certain there would be a disclaimer in there somewhere to void that false advertising claim.
f0rsak3n

Post by f0rsak3n »

I’m not saying or claiming it is. It’s only a statement, freedom of speech if you want to call it that. Think I will just leave it as it looks to me I’m the only person that has an issue with the demo not working. Sorry if I upset or wasted anybody’s time.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

f0rsak3n, you did not waste anyones time feedback like this can sometimes help the company perform better. Also Stu was just saying (like you were) that in all probability there is a clause to prevent them for getting sued. Also keep in mind the majority of our posters are asleep at this time, who knows maybe tomorrow there will be more people who feel the same way.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

f0rsak3n wrote:I’m not saying or claiming it is. It’s only a statement, freedom of speech if you want to call it that. Think I will just leave it as it looks to me I’m the only person that has an issue with the demo not working. Sorry if I upset or wasted anybody’s time.
Not at all. You contributed to their salary. Your say only makes the mag stronger. I can pretty much bet they will pay extra attention to quality on any items added to the discs from now on (for a few months :wink: ). Whatever anyones comments may be, it will help somewhere to improve the mag.

You game for the next PCF meet? I ow you a drink :wink:
f0rsak3n

Post by f0rsak3n »

Koko_Lion wrote:
f0rsak3n wrote:I’m not saying or claiming it is. It’s only a statement, freedom of speech if you want to call it that. Think I will just leave it as it looks to me I’m the only person that has an issue with the demo not working. Sorry if I upset or wasted anybody’s time.
Not at all. You contributed to their salary. Your say only makes the mag stronger. I can pretty much bet they will pay extra attention to quality on any items added to the discs from now on (for a few months :wink: ). Whatever anyones comments may be, it will help somewhere to improve the mag.

You game for the next PCF meet? I ow you a drink :wink:
Yes just say when and where. :wink:
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Roger that. Since Jamin_za missed both the paintball meet (sore tooth) and kart racing meet (sore back), he make plan for next meet :lol:

PS: I don't think I'd like to know what the next sore thing might be :shock:
f0rsak3n

Post by f0rsak3n »

Just one more thing is there anyone who maybe played the game with a honest opinion about the game, as there are so many good as well as bad reviews about the game.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm sure you're not. But, tbh, I don't really see many members here being in your situation. I'm sure there are others, but they're probably not on the forum. You yourself only registered when you wanted to lodge this complaint.
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Hi all. Just popping in to say how absolutely broken I am by your awesome support. We must have done something right somewhere along the lines. f0rsak3n, drop me a mail and we will see what we can do. These things do happen and poor Drakonis feels like a heel (not to mention that dodgy editor fellow :shock: ). Nevertheless the entire disc process has been modified to include a third battery of testing and we will do our best to prevent this kind of thing in future.

Again, our sincerest apologies for the data corruption, it is unacceptable and downright embarrassing.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Nab wrote:Hi all. Just popping in to say how absolutely broken I am by your awesome support.
I'll be honest: We're all just hoping for free games.

:twisted:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
Nab wrote:Hi all. Just popping in to say how absolutely broken I am by your awesome support.
I'll be honest: We're all just hoping for free games.

:twisted:

PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of Tetris... :wink:
Koko_Lion wrote:f0rsak3n, If you come to the next PCF Durban meet I will buy you a beer

Talk about dark clouds and silver linings! :lol:
Koko have I mentioned how torn I'm feeling about the whole thing?

f0rsak3n, welcome to the forums!
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
f0rsak3n

Post by f0rsak3n »

Nab wrote:Hi all. Just popping in to say how absolutely broken I am by your awesome support. We must have done something right somewhere along the lines. f0rsak3n, drop me a mail and we will see what we can do. These things do happen and poor Drakonis feels like a heel (not to mention that dodgy editor fellow :shock: ). Nevertheless the entire disc process has been modified to include a third battery of testing and we will do our best to prevent this kind of thing in future.

Again, our sincerest apologies for the data corruption, it is unacceptable and downright embarrassing.

Hi, I send you a PM. Thanks for the reply.
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Post by Drakonis »

Sorry for rejoining this a tad late, there is something else..

A kind reader from Cape Town way gave me a call to let us know that some of the November discs are... borked. They apparently just sit and spin in the drive without doing anything. This is unrelated to the file system, it seems to be a physical defect on the disc somewhere. If the disc/mag was purchased somewhere, they will replace it (the woman who called me did this four times before a working disc was found) but if you received it via mail/sub, let us know. We'll get a tested-in-the-office disc down to you.
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Drakonis wrote:Sorry for rejoining this a tad late, there is something else..

A kind reader from Cape Town way gave me a call to let us know that some of the November discs are... borked. They apparently just sit and spin in the drive without doing anything. This is unrelated to the file system, it seems to be a physical defect on the disc somewhere. If the disc/mag was purchased somewhere, they will replace it (the woman who called me did this four times before a working disc was found) but if you received it via mail/sub, let us know. We'll get a tested-in-the-office disc down to you.

I am investigating these issues with CBD as we speak. My guess is that a particular shipment to CT got exposed to serious heat. On a run of 20k+ we always have a few issues but things have been a bit ridiculous of late. We supply a master and have nothing more to do with the process thereafter (NFS was buggered on the master FYI). Discs are then packaged and sent to RNA for distribution approximately 3 weeks before they are on shelves which is where I think that particular batch of #fail discs got nuked.

Will let you know if anything exciting percolates but for the now I can only offer my humble apologies for the nature of optical media and the $%!#* state of bandwidth that makes them a sad necessity.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Sounds like you guys are having an interesting time.

Sterkte. :wink:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Nab wrote:Will let you know if anything exciting percolates but for the now I can only offer my humble apologies for the nature of optical media and the $%!#* state of bandwidth that makes them a sad necessity.
If this is a prequel to some good natured honest Telkom bashing, sign me up please.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Sojourn wrote:
Nab wrote:Will let you know if anything exciting percolates but for the now I can only offer my humble apologies for the nature of optical media and the $%!#* state of bandwidth that makes them a sad necessity.
If this is a prequel to some good natured honest Telkom bashing, sign me up please.

You need to go here for that. :wink:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
f0rsak3n

Post by f0rsak3n »

Drakonis wrote:Sorry for rejoining this a tad late, there is something else..

That's the problem I had with my first disc. Just spinning and made a dreadful noise.
Kyuusei

Post by Kyuusei »

Hey i'm having problems running the sacred 2 update on the disk. its the 2.40 update keeps giving me some error about "Failed to initialize patch archive: (116) The central directory was not found in the archive (or you were trying to open not the last disk of a multi-disk archive). The update is huge and with only a 3 gig cap i was very happy to find it in the disk. Hope you can help me with the problem.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Kyuusei wrote:Hey i'm having problems running the sacred 2 update on the disk. its the 2.40 update keeps giving me some error about "Failed to initialize patch archive: (116) The central directory was not found in the archive (or you were trying to open not the last disk of a multi-disk archive). The update is huge and with only a 3 gig cap i was very happy to find it in the disk. Hope you can help me with the problem.
Have you tried copying the patch off the DVD to your hard drive and running it from there?
Kyuusei

Post by Kyuusei »

Yes i have and it just gives the same error have no idea what the problem is
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Does it do it on another pc?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Well, as the staff have said, this month's DVD seems to have hit a bad patch. Just ask wherever you bought it from to swap it for you.
OmegaRed

Post by OmegaRed »

Hey guys,

I've had the same problem with the Sacred 2 patch. Unfortunately, I bought my mag from CNA who refuse to let me swap the DVD without a purchase receipt; fair enough.

If its feasable please put the patch on the next available DVD as it's size makes it rather difficult to pass through my rather constipated internet connection.

As far as the SHIFT demo is concerned, I went and bought SHIFT the day it was released; its freeking awesome. I just have trouble understanding how some guys can be so keen for a game that they can give attitude to the staff of Pcformat regarding a FREE demo, yet not enough to go out and buy the game themselves.

I'm not pissing on anybody's right to complain about something that's gone wrong, just don't be so much of a douche about it that Nick and the rest of the guys at the mag decide the whole DVD is more trouble than its worth. Let's bear in mind that these guys work damn hard every month and probably deserve to be cut a little slack when a FREE bonus feature of the mag isn't quite right.
Intel 'EVA COVE' 755
E6640 2.6Mhz
4GB DDR2 800MHZ Kingston
GF9800GTX+ 512MB OC
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

OmegaRed wrote:Let's bear in mind that these guys work damn hard every month and probably deserve to be cut a little slack when a FREE bonus feature of the mag isn't quite right.
We do not cut Nab, KillerByte or Drakonis any slack. It's against forum rules. You have NO clue what you're in for if you start doing that. :shock: