The Official Windows 7 Thread

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: The Official Windows 7 Thread

Post by GreyWolf »

I have come accross an issue with win 7. What follows is the problem and the solution.

We are upgrading our OS' here in the studio and we have got Win 7 Pro 64. Everything went fine untill I ran 3DS Max 2010. If I used Direct X 10 as a the viewport renderer then the perspective viewport would not render anything at all, and if I used Directx 9 then any bitmap textures were rendered in a really low quality. What I found is that Win 7 has DX11 and is missing some older DX components. TO rectify, just go to the MS website and download the Direct X runtime components webinstaller. Run it and any issues with running aps that are not direct x 11 compatible should be resolved.

Max not only renders things correctly but is also notably faster now.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Oooh, I found a nice tweak. I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but I just heard it in the latest Windows Weekly podcast.

There's a trick you can do to use the start menu search to search the web as well, not just your machine, and it seems to use your default browser for the search. It's also really easy to do (literally took me a few seconds).

Here's how :D

That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

GreyWolf wrote:I have come accross an issue with win 7. What follows is the problem and the solution.

We are upgrading our OS' here in the studio and we have got Win 7 Pro 64. Everything went fine untill I ran 3DS Max 2010. If I used Direct X 10 as a the viewport renderer then the perspective viewport would not render anything at all, and if I used Directx 9 then any bitmap textures were rendered in a really low quality. What I found is that Win 7 has DX11 and is missing some older DX components. TO rectify, just go to the MS website and download the Direct X runtime components webinstaller. Run it and any issues with running aps that are not direct x 11 compatible should be resolved.

Running Win 7 64bit. I need to install 3DS Max 2010 again but I only have 32bit at the moment. I take it that you must have 64bit to make it work with win 7 64bit?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Nice tip that DAE, I also just heard it on the latest Windows Weekly this morning... :D
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

maxxis wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:I have come accross an issue with win 7. What follows is the problem and the solution.

Running Win 7 64bit. I need to install 3DS Max 2010 again but I only have 32bit at the moment. I take it that you must have 64bit to make it work with win 7 64bit?
Both 32 and 64 bit versions are on the disk and both will install whether you want them to or not.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
capanno

Post by capanno »

Hi guys, are the 64 and 32 bit editions on different distribution discs? Or are they on the same disc perhaps?
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Different discs.
capanno

Post by capanno »

yeesh.
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

On the plus side, if you buy ultimate retail you get both discs in the box. Not if you get the DSP though.
.DG.

Post by .DG. »

Anyone care to comment on w7 and post-game-patching? I've heard that most games do not work after installing patches, but have not experienced it because I'm GPU-less at the moment...
Last edited by .DG. on 15 Mar 2010, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

.DG. wrote:I've heard that most games do not work after installing patches
:lol: i've experienced this! :shock: just the other day, i installed the latest Barbie Pony Paradise patch, (the one where you can paint their hooves in one of 3 different shades of pink :D ), and suddenly my ponies are gouging each other's eyes out and eati... oh.. wait...

i'd say "bollocks" to the whole patch drama story... and maybe an appropriate award to whoever shared it with you... :wink:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

rustypup wrote:Barbie Pony Paradise
I just nearly choked on my coffee... :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

.DG. wrote:Anyone care to comment on w7 and post-game-patching? I've heard that most games do not work after installing patches, but have not experienced it because I'm GPU-less at the moment...
If you believe that I have an email I'd like to forward you regarding $2.8m you won in some lucky draw in the US ...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Stuart wrote:
.DG. wrote:Anyone care to comment on w7 and post-game-patching? I've heard that most games do not work after installing patches, but have not experienced it because I'm GPU-less at the moment...
If you believe that I have an email I'd like to forward you regarding $2.8m you won in some lucky draw in the US ...
LOL!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Gizmodo.com wrote:Windows 7 RC1 doesn't expire until June 1, but we found a catch, and it's a pretty horrible one. Starting March 1, it'll shut down every two hours.
Who's still running RC?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Nobody. One of the machine in my house had it installed and that machine is now crippled :P
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

My PC will be dead in about 12 hours.
Backup's was done, will be reloading tonight.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

How is such a 'patch' rolled out ? by the windows update server(s) ?
or was it timed release that was programmed into it from the beginning
Temporary Absence
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Okay, I did something that is irritating the socks off of me, and I don't know what it was. Normally when you insert a flash drive it opens up the pop up box asking what you want to do. I like that. I've managed to do something so that, instead of opening up the popup box and asking what I would like to do, it now places a shortcut to my desktop, which does NOT (ala Linux) delete when I remove the drive. It's even more irritating, however, because it also places a shortcut on my desktop for any of my virtual drives that have images mounted. What have I done, and where do I disable it?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

have you tried Windows Help?

On another topic:
Freehand MX does not work with Win 7 Pro 64. It installs and will run, but I am getting various glitches on all the machines in the office, and the thing is that they not even consistent. For example: On one machine you cannot print at all, on another opening up the file browser causes Freehand to crash, and yet on another exporting to PDF is totally boned, and on yet another font browsing is slower than a paraplegic swimming in tar.. Have tried WinXP mode and it does not help for any of these problems, and neither does patching Freehand.

We do have Illustrator installed but none of us is as proficient with it as we are with Freehand.

o/t Thank you Adobe for killing off a product that was better than yours.
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

I mentioned it in another thread, but I have discovered and a Google search conforms it, that matlab 2000 will only run on windows 7 if I disable aero completely. It's some sort of problem with java. It runs fine on Vista. :?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:have you tried Windows Help?
No, I never thought of that.

Of course I tried Windows Help. And I Googled. I'm obviously not searching for the right terms because all my searches keep telling me how to create shortcuts or (in the case of Google) how to imitate in Windows Linux's automatic creation and subsequent removal of shortcuts on the desktop when inserting a flash drive.

I suspect I must have selected an incorrect option when it opened the popup box. I should perhaps look at changing the default option when a drive is inserted.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:have you tried Windows Help?
No, I never thought of that.
no need to get testy. I might have come accross as sarcastic but it was an honest question, a lot of people, myself included, overlook it.
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Gnope, autoplay is still set to ask every time, but it doesn't ask. :?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

You might have to go snooping around in the registry...
- H. L. Mancken