The Official Windows 7 Thread

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: The Official Windows 7 Thread

Post by ryanrich »

Use an app such as WinDirStat to check what's taking up all the space... It should be under 10GB's.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

So apparently this is actually the normal size for a Win 7 Ultimate 64 install. That's quite ridiculous.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Wow that is rather large.
Not especially serious though since most of us are running +300gig drives nowadays anyway.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

on notebooks i have seen with w7 installed, they have a dock bar at the top of the screen, mine does not, how to i activate this little app ?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Man, can you believe I still don't have my copy of Win 7? The guy I bought it from (I bought it with a full machine, before Win 7 was released) hasn't sent it to me yet :|
Woohoo ... stock finally arrived. :lol: Should have it in mah hands tomorrow.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Man, I STILL don't have mine! I keep forgetting about it!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anyone else experience the Windows "Black Screen of Death" yet?
Well, maybe it's not as bad as it sounds, but it's still not so good. As you're probably aware, over the last week or so Windows users of all stripes (not just Windows 7 users, as it turns out) have been complaining of a plain black screen that appears upon login -- at which point the systems lock up, and... that's it. Aside from some users getting an additional My Computer window (lucky devils) the system grinds to a halt. According to a Microsoft email that's making the rounds, the company is "investigating reports that its latest release of security updates is resulting in system issues for some customers." Until that time, what's a poor PC user to do? Prevx, a UK developer of anti-malware software, has surmised that a recent Windows security patch changed Access Control List (ACL) entries in the registry, preventing some software from running properly and prompting Engadget to whip up a Bergman-inspired graphic. If your machine should find itself afflicted, Prevx has put together a fix that it claims will do the trick. Keep in mind that we don't know these guys, so don't blame us if it blows up your computer -- or gives you the Bubonic plague. We'll let you know when we hear back from Microsoft on this one. Good luck!
I was wondering about this. Actually been experiencing this on a Windows Vista machine for a couple of days. It's a pain.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:So apparently this is actually the normal size for a Win 7 Ultimate 64 install. That's quite ridiculous.
No ways dude. I just finished installing and configuring my Ultimate 64 bit install, so I have all my updates and apps loaded, and my Windows folder is 13GB.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

My folder size weighs in at 11.3GB - Win 7 ultimate x64
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:So apparently this is actually the normal size for a Win 7 Ultimate 64 install. That's quite ridiculous.
No ways dude. I just finished installing and configuring my Ultimate 64 bit install, so I have all my updates and apps loaded, and my Windows folder is 13GB.
Yeah, I eventually found out what Windows was doing. Windows creates a Paging file the size of the amount of RAM you have in your machine. I have 12GBs of RAM in my system, so I have a 12GB paging file. Then there's still a pile of space used for Restore points, as well as some space for hibernation. So 12GB+(restore points)+(hibernation space)+(ACTUAL windows installation)=28GB, Pretty easily too.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Er, no page file, no restore, no hibernate and it comes to 13.1gb.

Windows has crashed a good few times. And for some reason CoD4 is complaining every time about system changes. UT3 resets everytime so my guess is it is IP addresses. Somewhere somehow its changing.
My xonar is giving problems. It wont play the front speakers from time to time. But it is a driver issue. XP doesnt do this so I rolled out the hardware fault.

The system is pretty solid and graphicly nice. But windows xp is more stable. Taking everything into account windows 7 64-bit is still much better than windows xp. Faster start up and faster processing everything.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Stuart wrote:Anyone else experience the Windows "Black Screen of Death" yet?
Well, maybe it's not as bad as it sounds, but it's still not so good. As you're probably aware, over the last week or so Windows users of all stripes (not just Windows 7 users, as it turns out) have been complaining of a plain black screen that appears upon login -- at which point the systems lock up, and... that's it. Aside from some users getting an additional My Computer window (lucky devils) the system grinds to a halt. According to a Microsoft email that's making the rounds, the company is "investigating reports that its latest release of security updates is resulting in system issues for some customers." Until that time, what's a poor PC user to do? Prevx, a UK developer of anti-malware software, has surmised that a recent Windows security patch changed Access Control List (ACL) entries in the registry, preventing some software from running properly and prompting Engadget to whip up a Bergman-inspired graphic. If your machine should find itself afflicted, Prevx has put together a fix that it claims will do the trick. Keep in mind that we don't know these guys, so don't blame us if it blows up your computer -- or gives you the Bubonic plague. We'll let you know when we hear back from Microsoft on this one. Good luck!
I was wondering about this. Actually been experiencing this on a Windows Vista machine for a couple of days. It's a pain.
It wasn't us, says M$.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Just read about that here... I had my doubts.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate - 32bit yesterday (jumped from XP Home) and I have to say that I am extremely impressed! Especially with W7 for configuring and setting up my wireless dongle(which doesn't have Vista or 7 drivers)! :D

I am also a fan of the new taskbar, still exploring everything there is to W7 - but so far Micro$oft have done an excellent job!
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I love being able to re order things on the taskbar! And now I have a quick query: is there a plugin avaliable for Firefox that shows the individual tabs that are open in the preview (like what happens with IE)?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Monty wrote:I love being able to re order things on the taskbar! And now I have a quick query: is there a plugin avaliable for Firefox that shows the individual tabs that are open in the preview (like what happens with IE)?
Check this out?
Mclaren

Post by Mclaren »

Okay, two issues in win 7 i have :

A: when dragging and dropping files from one folder to another using two open exporer windows, i have to press F5 to refresh the folders. this should work automatically and once did. any ideas ?

B: when i use MTN modems, my E230 modem When unplugged a the replugged in, does not dial, the MTN screen says the device in not operational or is being used by another process, where as my E220 modem does not suffer this same effect.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

So the RC is going to start coughing and spluttering in a months time or so.
Time to cough up the moola and buy it.
Where are you guys buying it from?
Am looking for Ultimate Retail. Cheapest I can find is R2359.00 at Sybaritic and R2358.00 from Landmark.
Anyone know if there are any cheaper stores (online or otherwise)?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Screeper wrote:So the RC is going to start coughing and spluttering in a months time or so.
Time to cough up the moola and buy it.
Where are you guys buying it from?
Am looking for Ultimate Retail. Cheapest I can find is R2359.00 at Sybaritic and R2358.00 from Landmark.
Anyone know if there are any cheaper stores (online or otherwise)?
Take 2 - R2100

Bought mine there when it came out for around the same price...
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Sweet, thanks Ryan. Ordering now.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

No problemo dude... :)
Windows 7 way hotter than Vista off the line, now more popular than all OS X versions

By Darren Murph posted Jan 21st 2010 9:14PM

We learned back in November that Windows 7 was having a much (much!) better first few days in retail than Vista did when it launched, but now that the system has had a full quarter and change to make an impression, it looks as if that growth isn't slowing down. According to new figures from Net Application, Win7 is achieving a higher level of market penetration in a faster amount of time than Vista did; after a month, Vista was stuck at 0.93 percent, while Win7 nailed the 4 percent mark. After two months, Win7 jumped to 5.71 percent, while Vista was barely over 2 percent after the same amount of time. 'Course, the newest version of Windows had a holiday season to help it out right from the get-go, but there's still no denying that people are flocking to the system even now. What's most interesting, however, is that the overall market share of Windows 7 alone has now surpassed all OS X versions that are being tracked (10.4, 10.5 and 10.6), so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Smoke it long and hard.
Via: Engadget
hmullie

Post by hmullie »

Mine already installed it beats the****** out of xp
Main pc | lg 2443t 23.6" monitor |
Raidmax gaming case | 500w power supply
| Msi g31 motherboard | Intel core2 duo e8400 @ 3ghz (stock speed)
| 4gb. Ddr2-800 ram | Asus gts250 1gb (gddr 3) |
Conner 250gb sata-2 7200 rpm hdd | Maxtor 640gb sata-2 7200 rpm hdd
| Samsung 1tb sata-2 7200 rpm hdd |

Samsung 24x cd/dvd writer | Canon ip4500 printer.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Microsoft reports $6.66b Q1 net profit, Windows 7 'fastest selling OS in history'

By Ross Miller posted Jan 28th 2010 6:12PM

Microsoft's gotta be pretty happy with its second quarter results, especially after two previous quarters of somewhat downtrodden reports. The company's posting a record $19.02 billion in revenue, a 14 percent increase year-over-year. Net income / profit was $6.66 billion. Buoyed by all that is $1.71 billion in deferred revenue for Windows 7 pre-sales, which in laymen's terms means money the company made before the fiscal quarter began but couldn't then claim it because the product (Windows 7) hadn't yet been delivered to the consumer. Speaking of the platform, Microsoft is claiming to now have "the fastest selling operating system in history" with 60 million licenses sold. A much better way for the gang in Redmond to the start the year, so now let's see how the rest of 2010 plays out.
Source
ADT

Post by ADT »

Quick question...do you get the same updates when using windows 7 Beta version, and a official legal version??
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

So my copy of Win 7 FINALLY arrived last week. Man, I waited for over 3 months for it. Guess who I'm never buying from again :?

Anyway, I just finished installing. It's Win 7 Pro, but it's the upgrade media. I can also confirm that you can do a fresh install and activated it perfectly from Upgrade media:

It's good to be on a fresh install. You know, I didn't even need to install. The build that I had was old already, but it was still so speedy. Man, I love this OS :)