Setting up company intranet

Get help on web editors (Frontpage, Dreamweaver) and web languages (HTML, ASP, PHP).
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Setting up company intranet

Post by DJT »

Good morning fellow Forumites!

It has been decided that our company is going to have its own intranet site. I have been given the task of building and setting up this site. There is one tiny snag... I am not a website developer :P Therefore, I am going to need a little help in getting this off the ground. I have set up IIS on one of our servers and have put a place holder page which i have tested and can be accessed at both our branches by using its IP address. Apparently you can assign it a host. IE, http://companyname.something. How do you do this? Is it just a setting you do on the server, or is it an external thing?

Having an extremely limited knowledge of web design and coding, I am unsure of what language or program would be best for the layout I have come up with. Please see below for the mock up. Soz about size

Preferably, I want the sides to be independant of the middle, like frames, but i don't know if it is the best way to do it. If not, it doesn't really matter. The menu bar on the left should be easy, it doesn't need to be fancy, just some links to downloads (leave forms, extension lists, etc)

However, the bar on the right is where i need advice. I want a analogue clock, like the widget for vista (This is more for looks than a requirement so if not possible, its cool) then a calandar that highlights the current day, perhaps even with ability to add events on, such as big meetings or staff events. I’ve seen sites with this on before so I know it is possible.
The part that I have no clue about is a day to day list of people who are on leave, and who are sick. This needs to be updated daily either by myself or the manager in change of personnel. I know she keeps a spreadsheet of this, so is it possible to link it to that, or to make a utility to update it? Or would it have to be done on the site itself like in a console?

Phew, that is about it, but I have my work cut out for me. If there are any developers or web coders around, please give me your opinion or suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Setting up company intranet

Post by Ron2K »

I would investigate looking at a web content management system, i.e. Joomla or Drupal. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

And I'd vouch for the usability of Joomla. :mrgreen:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DJT
I Bribed Ron With Foundry And All I Got Was This Lousy Title

Post by DJT »

Thanks guys. Will take a look at it tomorrow when I have some down time.

Dj
Want to support my creative work? Drop me a like and subscribe below. It will be greatly appreciated!
Clarke Media - YouTube Channel
Clarke Media - Facebook
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

+++ joomla
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Joomla as well from my side... :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.