Microsoft WSUS, Windows Updates

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
Mechano

Microsoft WSUS, Windows Updates

Post by Mechano »

Hi all,

Our company is about 25 strong and as such we don't have a very big network. We don't make use of Microsoft Active Directory but we do have an Exchange Server catering for the mail.

We've been having a problem keeping our bandwidth usage down due to users updating their pc's at work. Of course, this can be turned of (and everyone has now been asked to do so) but Microsoft surely has a way of giving you in house updates?

So I looked up WSUS, Windows Server Update Services. This tool, currently in version 3.0 SP 2, allows you to download all updates to a central location in your network (Obviously this has to be a Server variant of Windows) and then distrubute it to all the client pc's. All great and good, but for some bloody reason, Microsoft feels Home editions of their operating systems cannot make use of this server. Now, seeing as more than half of us have notebooks with Windows Vista Home Premium, we're screwed.

Is anyone aware of a tool (besides autopatcher, I'm already looking into it) which one can use to download all the microsoft updates in one package? Otherwise, is there some MCSE or similar type guy here that can tell me how to use WSUS in our situation?
Sojourn

Re: Microsoft WSUS, Windows Updates

Post by Sojourn »

In our case it would be best to make sure the auto-update facility gets disabled totally at each PC, then download the updates once a week manually and send a mail out with links to click that will install.
Mechano

Post by Mechano »

Sojourn wrote:In our case it would be best to make sure the auto-update facility gets disabled totally at each PC, then download the updates once a week manually and send a mail out with links to click that will install.

Makes sense. Gives me quite a bit of control as well. Where can I donwload these updates manually?
Mechano

Post by Mechano »

Ah, never mind...found a nice little utility to do just this....

http://www.emergingtechs.com/posts/how- ... s-updates/
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

This is all well and good Mechano, but how will you manage each user's installation, and know exactly what updates are needed on what machine?
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Mechano wrote:Microsoft feels Home editions of their operating systems cannot make use of this server.
No, they just didn't bundle support for it into Home because if you are regularly joining a corporate network to collect WSUS updates you should be using XP Pro, not Home edition.
You can get it to work.

Guide For Setting Up XP Home Clients With WSUS
Mechano

Post by Mechano »

@jamin_za...

Thing is, we bought the laptops as is from Rectron about 2 years ago. I wasn't involved (believe me I wouldn't opt for Home Editions of any OS) and as such they just did what the sales guy at Rectron advised. None of our pc's have XP HOME, but a lot of them have VISTA HOME PREMIUM.

The registry keys on that website don't exist in VISTA HOME PREMIUM, I also found that guide and was unable to use it.

@Tel...
I willing to "TRY" and manage it for the next 6 months. After that everyone is getting new laptops and since I'm responsible for all hardware purchases I'll make sure they have AT LEAST Vista Business or a similar copy of Windows 7 - preferably the latter.

Thanks for the link jamin_za