SMTP Issue

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

SMTP Issue

Post by Stuart »

Okay, so here's the story. We have accounts with two ISPs here at the office: WebAfrica (SAIX) and Afrihost (IS). For various reasons, there are times when we switch between these accounts. However, this sometimes creates a problem, because for our email we use the SAIX/IS SMTP servers. So smtp.saix.net works fine for sending email when we are using WebAfrica, but not so well when we are using Afrihost.

Further, I have Neotel at home, which definitely does not like smtp.saix.net, or even smtp.isdsl.net.

So, to combat this, I have set all my email accounts to use smtp.gmail.com with my login details. Works perfectly.

I then did the same to our pastor's email, using his own Gmail details, obviously. He has two email addresses that he uses at work. One is (at)brackenhurstbaptist.org and the other is (at)sola5.org. For his brackenhurstbaptist.org account (as for mine) this works perfectly. His sola5.org account, however, which he uses as his primary account, is not playing so nicely. It tries to send for about two minutes, and then it pops up this message:
Your outgoing (smtp) server does not support SSL-secured connections
I have tried a couple of suggestions I've stumbled across on Google, but to no avail yet. Does anyone here have any ideas? I'll keep trying solutions suggested by Google, but perhaps someone here has the once-for-all answer to all my problems.

Windows XP, Office 2003.

Edit: I've contacted the guy who hosts sola5.org and he says that the Gmail SMTP server should work fine.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: SMTP Issue

Post by Monty »

Try smtp.sola5.org?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Monty wrote:Try smtp.sola5.org?
Gnope. Unfortunately not.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote: I then did the same to our pastor's email, using his own Gmail details, obviously. He has two email addresses that he uses at work. One is (at)brackenhurstbaptist.org and the other is (at)sola5.org. For his brackenhurstbaptist.org account (as for mine) this works perfectly. His sola5.org account, however, which he uses as his primary account, is not playing so nicely.

Your pastor likes anime? :shock:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Lolwut?

www.sola5.org

Not exactly anime. ;)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Aaahhhh sola5as opposed to sola! :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Yeah ... that ... ;)
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

I use smtp.webafrica.org.za while on both webafrica AND Afrihost. Just need to set it to authenticate if i recall correctly (click the "use same settings as incoming mail server").

Possibly turn off SSL to test first though with current settings (more settings>advanced>remove tick on "this server requires an encrypted connection").
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

freeloader wrote:I use smtp.webafrica.org.za while on both webafrica AND Afrihost. Just need to set it to authenticate if i recall correctly (click the "use same settings as incoming mail server").

Possibly turn off SSL to test first though with current settings (more settings>advanced>remove tick on "this server requires an encrypted connection").
Can you verify those settings when you get a chance and send them to me?
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Stuart, Will pm them to you tonight :wink:
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

freeloader wrote:Stuart, Will pm them to you tonight :wink:
10Q good sir.