Afrihost ADSL

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Afrihost ADSL

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote: And therein lies the problem. A month down the line that might've changed totally? Service doesn't seem to be consistent at all. :|
Except that Mweb are big ... much bigger than Afrihost. They already have phases of upgrade in mind. They've already done some upgrades since the implementation of the uncapped accounts, and the Mweb rep on MyBB tells us that another upgrade is coming before the end of the month. They have the money to throw at this.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Alright. All done. I'm on an uncapped MWeb account now, going full speed.
When you cancel on Afrihost do they just terminate? or can you still use it for the rest of the month?

I want to cancel but don't want to get mweb till the 1st May. (money constraints)

if i loose my afrihost then i rather cancel on the last.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

DeathStrike wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Alright. All done. I'm on an uncapped MWeb account now, going full speed.
When you cancel on Afrihost do they just terminate? or can you still use it for the rest of the month?

I want to cancel but don't want to get mweb till the 1st May. (money constraints)

if i loose my afrihost then i rather cancel on the last.
They'll terminate you pretty instantly, at most a day or two

Rather keep your afrihost account till the end of the month, then sign up with mweb

Also send afrihost an email that you wish to cancel at the end of this month, and that you do not want to be charged for their services for next month as you wont be using them anymore...

They will probably charge you, then refund you sometime next month

This is what they did with me in anycase
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

If you cancel in your client zone they may give you the opportunity to cancel from month end or immediately. They may also try to tell you that you have to give them a calendar's month notice, and technically this condition is on their site. They have in the past, however, allowed cancellations in the same month as long as you let them know before the 24th. I'd give them a call to verify that. Also, if you cancel before the 24th they should be able to stop next month's debit order in time so that it doesn't go off.

Just a word of warning: It appears that Mweb charges you for two months when you sign up. So your first debit order will be double the rate you expect. I'm honestly a little fuzzy as to why this is, since it's supposed to be a month-to-month service, but there were lots of surprises on MyBB about that.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Thanks Guys. i will email them later and see what they say.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Just a word of warning: It appears that Mweb charges you for two months when you sign up. So your first debit order will be double the rate you expect. I'm honestly a little fuzzy as to why this is, since it's supposed to be a month-to-month service, but there were lots of surprises on MyBB about that.
As I have it, they only do the first Debit order at the end of the month you signed up in, so they charge you for the first month you signed up in (at full price) and for the coming month. This applies even if you sign up very late in the month AFAIK. Not ideal, but not too unreasonable either IMO.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:
As I have it, they only do the first Debit order at the end of the month you signed up in, so they charge you for the first month you signed up in (at full price) and for the coming month. This applies even if you sign up very late in the month AFAIK. Not ideal, but not too unreasonable either IMO.
That may well be the case. I honestly could not understand what the Mweb rep was trying to explain to us when he told us the reason for the strange charges on MyBB.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

Does mweb not offer pro-rata? i thought that they do? if they don't then i am only joining them on the 1st or 2nd of the month as i won't pay full price for half a month.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DeathStrike wrote:Does mweb not offer pro-rata? i thought that they do? if they don't then i am only joining them on the 1st or 2nd of the month as i won't pay full price for half a month.
I think if you register after the 15th then you pay half month. But no prorata based on number of days left. So, if KALSTER is correct, if you register tomorrow (or Friday, to be safe) you'll pay at the end of the month half a month's fee for April and then the full month for May.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

ok. i will see. if i can get afrihost to cancel me now.

Sent mail. waiting for reply...

This may take sometime.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Mweb called me up today when I was at the pharmacy. It seemed to be more of a courtesy call than anything else. The dude told me my account will be debited at the end of this month and I'll be billed pro-rata for March.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

cool. but i already submitted my cancellation date as the 30th April. So i will sign up for Mweb on the 30th. or the 1st May.

I got tired of waiting. :lol:

I noted on the reason for canceling that it is for personal reasons.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You personally hate bad service and connections speeds?
Last edited by Stuart on 14 Apr 2010, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up your language. If word filter finds it offensive, don't try to slip it in with special characters, please.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Xiphan

Re: Afrihost ADSL: R29 per GB

Post by Xiphan »

Anakha56 wrote:Ouch, so SAOL for me is still good. No shaping on my 384k line yet...
Yeah, I'm hoping I won't regret cancelling with them when I change over to Mweb. :?
Mclaren wrote:I currently only use 3g (MTN) if i go the adsl route, will i feel the difference when browsing....especially if i choose the 384kb option ?
If you've been using 3G changing over to 384 will feel like you've downgraded to dial-up. If you can afford it get at least 512k, or go all the way and get 4Mb. ;)

SAOL has been kind to me, but it seems pointless to stick with someone that is charging R150 more for the same thing Mweb is offering. At least with the money I save I can get some unshaped bandwidth for when I want to play games online. Enter Axxess with their R19 a gig special, I signed up for 1Gb immediately and I can say it works. Local pings dropped to well under 50ms and about 200ms to UK based servers. :D
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

doo_much wrote:You personally hate bad service and connections speeds?
no. i just could not tell them straight that their new service sucked. :lol:

EDIT: wait... yes i do hate it personally. lol

but they had a option for bad service and i didn't select it.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Xiphan wrote: Local pings dropped to well under 50ms and about 200ms to UK based servers. :D
That is pretty good. What games are you playing Xiphan?
I'm on Afrihost currently and get about 550-750ms on WoW, could do with a bit of a latency drop.. Axxess could very well be the answer :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Screeper wrote:
Xiphan wrote: Local pings dropped to well under 50ms and about 200ms to UK based servers. :D
That is pretty good. What games are you playing Xiphan?
I'm on Afrihost currently and get about 550-750ms on WoW, could do with a bit of a latency drop.. Axxess could very well be the answer :)
I can't say what latencies I get in WoW as I haven't renewed my sub yet, but when I play HoN on UK servers I get around 230ms and I get 37ms to the local War3 server. ;) I should fire up a game of Left 4 Dead and see what I get there. :)
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Got myself a 1-gig AxxessLite (unshaped) account yesterday evening.
Latency was between 550 and 800ms last night, so not really any difference between Axxess and Afrihost so far. I will run the Axxess account for the rest of the month to see if it improves.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

I would say that IS's network has gone to the dogs because of all the ISPs trying to compete with MWEB's Tier 1 Network.

So weather you are on axxess or Afrihost you going to get bad latency because it is still IS.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

How the hell do you get uTorrent to work on Afrihost Uncapped?

I tried setting it up but I can't seem to get it working right.

This is uTorrent says in it's log.

[2010-04-29 15:57:20] Running Upload test ...
[2010-04-29 15:57:34] Data send error: A local networking problem closed the connection. (10053)
[2010-04-29 15:57:34] Checking for forwarded port
[2010-04-29 15:58:34] Port Forward test complete. offline (timed out)
[2010-04-29 15:58:34] Checking auto portmap configuration ...
[2010-04-29 15:58:39] Results: Port is not open (you are still able to download).
[2010-04-29 15:58:39] More info is in the <a href="http://www.utorrent.com/faq">FAQ</a> and at <a href="http://portforward.com/">portforward.com</a>

I set it up to use port 3112, and also forwarded the port in the router to no avail.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Could be because you're trying to use a registered port (3112)

Try a port over 58000 or something like that :)
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Hman

Post by Hman »

NVM, left it overnight to see what happens and it did download and upload, guess it's just shaped during the day.

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Hman wrote:NVM, left it overnight to see what happens and it did download and upload, guess it's just shaped during the day.
You just figured that out now, huh?
Hman

Post by Hman »

:slap:

Stuart