Afrihost ADSL

Network problem solving and tweaks
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Afrihost ADSL: R29 per GB

Post by ryanrich »

SykomantiS wrote:So what happens if you're not on a 4096 line when you hit 30 and then 60 gigs? :roll:
Nothing probably... It's not the amount of data that hits them, it's the speed that every person gets, so a person with a 384 line pushing loads of data won't bother them too much...

This limiting speed is one helluva catch though. I haven't seen such a thing in MWEB's terms and conditions yet, because it's honestly quite ridiculous...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, let's hope they come to their senses sooner rather rather than later.

I don't see myself moving that much data anyway, but still...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:So what happens if you're not on a 4096 line when you hit 30 and then 60 gigs? :roll:
Nothing probably... It's not the amount of data that hits them, it's the speed that every person gets, so a person with a 384 line pushing loads of data won't bother them too much...

This limiting speed is one helluva catch though. I haven't seen such a thing in MWEB's terms and conditions yet, because it's honestly quite ridiculous...
Whilst I agree that the TC are laughable for an "uncapped" account, we should probably note that Afrihost is at least being up front with their expectations. Mweb, et al, have far vaguer TC. They may have a very similar limit in mind, but they're not likely to be as open about it as Afrihost. I'd like to think that Mweb are large enough a company not to have to enforce such draconian TC, but they don't exactly have a great track record in that regard. I'll give Afrihost the month of April at least to see how things work out.

The fact is, anyone remotely making good use of a 4096 line is going to be hard pressed to stay under 30GB imho. I can easily do that just with general surfing, streaming, downloading, etc. without resorting to P2P.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:Ah, some answers at last!
Gian wrote:Initially you will be getting our standard service. (i.e. certain ports are shaped somewhat and web and email are prioritised.)

After you have moved 30 GBs you will be moved into a different category whereby certain ports will be shaped more aggressively. However, web and email will still be prioritised.

After moving a total of 60 GBs you will be moved into a different category where your line speed is throttled to 1024 kbps per second and certain shaping protocols are in place.

After moving a total of 90 GBs then you will be moved into a category where you will be throttled to 512 kbps. Certain shaping protocols will also be in place here.

After moving a total of 120 GBs you will be moved into a category where your line will be throttled to 386 kbps. Certain shaping protocols will also be in place here.

After moving a total of 150 GBs you will be moved into a category where you are throttled to 128 kbps.

You will never be capped.
WTH! This might as well be capped! Do they have any idea how much data you can pull from Steam alone? Sorry they are off my list of uncapped ISP's...

On a side note I have noticed on my SAOL uncapped much better speeds and performance I wonder why... :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:WTH! This might as well be capped!
Yup, they're basically replacing data capping with speed capping... Baa humbug!
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Interesting from Afrihost, thanks for posting Rat.

On a side note, is anyone on Afrihost a WoW player? I've noticed since they've been offering uncapped my latency has gone a bit gross when playin WoW.
Usually get between 450 and 650ms but over the last couple of days it has been sitting at 900-1050ms consistently. This is making PvP really difficult indeed.
I'm not on an ucapped account so I shouldn't be affected but maybe I am. Anyone else noticing this or am I just unlucky?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Yeah screep, I dont play WoW but I do game online over an international server and my latency has been really poor.

In fact, a few days back I was considering buying a dedicated 1gb account just to play online games, thinking it was because I was now using the uncapped account that was causing the lag (with everyone doing alot of traffic).

I hope international gaming is better with Mweb
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Screeper wrote:Interesting from Afrihost, thanks for posting Rat.

On a side note, is anyone on Afrihost a WoW player? I've noticed since they've been offering uncapped my latency has gone a bit gross when playin WoW.
Usually get between 450 and 650ms but over the last couple of days it has been sitting at 900-1050ms consistently. This is making PvP really difficult indeed.
I'm not on an ucapped account so I shouldn't be affected but maybe I am. Anyone else noticing this or am I just unlucky?
Lots of MyBB users complaining about this.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

I think my monthly average is around 3-5Gb :-P
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Well i have Upgraded to Afrihost's 384 "Uncapped". I will be checking it to see how much i can get out of it. if its a reasonable amount (20 - 30 GB) then i will be happy. else i will move to Axxess.

Only reason i didn't go straight to Axxess is because i felt its too much effort to cancel and re-register.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

DeathStrike wrote:Well i have Upgraded to Afrihost's 384 "Uncapped". I will be checking it to see how much i can get out of it. if its a reasonable amount (20 - 30 GB) then i will be happy. else i will move to Axxess.

Only reason i didn't go straight to Axxess is because i felt its too much effort to cancel and re-register.
The new axxess uncapped offerings are getting very bad reports on mybb. They seem to have dreadfull downloading speeds, much worse than their express accounts.

From the feedback it seems mweb's network is able to deal with the new uncapped cheap accounts but other providers are struggling.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

I joined Mweb over the weekend, and it has been a pleasant experience so far on their 4mb uncapped solution

International latency is good and (int) gaming is wonderful (in fact best I've had compared to afrihosts capped and uncapped solutions)

Very decent download speeds and decent shaping policies put in place by mweb

They get my vote anyday
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Yay, new look Afrihost client zone this morning ...

Had issues authenticating with them over the long weekend. Called yesterday, and was told that all problems were sorted. I told the quite categorically that all problems were NOT sorted. The guy I spoke to went to speak to his manager, and came back to tell me that in fact they seem to have authentication problems again. He told me he would call me back in ten minutes. Two hours later he called me to tell me he had it fixed.

Now this?

Afrihost climbed aboard the (un)capped boat a little too soon, methinks.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Stuart wrote:Afrihost climbed aboard the (un)capped boat a little too soon, methinks.
Yeah, issues like that make the WA approach of "it will be ready when it's ready" make much more sense. They're going to have to do something really special to compete effectively with MWeb though, if indeed they even go that route.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Interfan

Post by Interfan »

The others got caught with their pants down. Mweb planned for their uncapped offering for two years and put in the needed infrastructure and in fact are still upgrading their infrastructure. The others jumped in because of market forces while others are ignoring it and hoping it doesn't have a major impact on them.
corsair 750tx,
p8p67 pro,
8gig corsair vengeance ,
570gtx,
cm sniper black,
i5 2500k with thermalright cooler,
onboard sound,
Samsung bx2450,
g15 and g9,
Win 7 home prem x64,
xbox 360 controller,
asus 24x dvd writer
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Interfan wrote:The others got caught with their pants down.
first off.... :shock:

i couldn't agree more. i still have concerns over future contention hiccups on mweb's service, but for the others it's panicky-knee-jerk time and some are going to fall... hard...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm on Afrihost's uncapped package and I have no issues whatsoever. Downloads are all at full speed, no slowdowns, nothing.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm on Afrihost's uncapped package and I have no issues whatsoever. Downloads are all at full speed, no slowdowns, nothing.
I've raped the account this month just to see how their shaping plan works. Kicked in right on time for me. Hit 30GB this afternoon and soon thereafter I was down to 2mbps. Will see if I can do another 30GB in the next couple of days and see how the shaping works then.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I'm on Afrihost's uncapped package and I have no issues whatsoever. Downloads are all at full speed, no slowdowns, nothing.
+1 :) So far so good. had some hiccups over the first few days but after that was smooth sailing.

@Stuart WRT connection issues: I read on MyBB that if you change your settings from CHAP to PAP then it would fix it. Haven't tested as i haven't had issues. Hope it helps.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So for the third time this month I'm having authentication issues with my account. This hit me (again) over the weekend, and since it's nigh impossible to get hold of Afrihost's support on weekends, I thought I'd wait and contact them this morning. So I pointed my browser to the Afrihost website, clicked on Client Zone and ...

*sigh*
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yep, had the same problems.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I see on MyBB that they say they start shaping 512k connections at 15GB and 384k at 10GB. This isn't on their site yet, but several have got emails to this effect on MyBB.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well that makes sense. I've done more than 10GB and my connection is actually unusable. I'm TRYING to stream a youtube video now, and I't coming in at about 12KBps. I'm now officially part of the "this package fails" group, because it's been slow like this for a few days already.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Ouch, so SAOL for me is still good. No shaping on my 384k line yet...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Stu, is it shaping, or line speed throttling?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.