All about Smartphones and Tablets...

Any hardware related topics go here.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Which SmartPhone?

Post by KALSTER »

Yeah, the N900 has a range of smartphone features as well. Looks to be a great phone. BUT, if that E900 gets released, I will be a very happy guy! I upgrade in about 5 months time, so hopefully that E900 will be available then!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

naughty, go to incredible corruption or the like, they have something called Fellowes Write Right- costs about R160 when I checked some three years back, but it works.

That is of course if it's what you're looking for
naughty

Post by naughty »

SykomantiS wrote:naughty, go to incredible corruption or the like, they have something called Fellowes Write Right- costs about R160 when I checked some three years back, but it works.

That is of course if it's what you're looking for
thanks - if i dont find anything at nokia themselves then i will keep that in mind - will probably just have to cut it down to the correct size
SA dont get all the firmware updates :? just keep that in mind!
im sure thats true enough - but this update is definitely the update as far as this phone is concerned so im sure it will turn up sooner or later - id hate to have to hack the phone just to update it
yes, it is a tablet, but with phone functionality built in. and thats what makes it the best phone nokia will release soon!
no disputing that at all - but absolutely no-one knows about when it will be available here - believe me ive asked till i was blue in the face - and everyone at the nokia stores and MTN stores ive been to look at me funny when i mention a N900 ..... well ..... its either that or blank stares :lol:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

i was at vodaworld 2 weeks ago, went to nokia, asked them about the 5730XM...
the friggin thing was released in June already... no, they dont know.
they only get told about releases 2 weeks in advance :roll: idjiots.

sure, i could buy the thing cash through my supplier, but i would much rather get it on a contract.
but, it doesnt look like im going to get anywhere with autopage either :x
Prime

Post by Prime »

PureFire wrote:i was at vodaworld 2 weeks ago, went to nokia, asked them about the 5730XM...
the friggin thing was released in June already... no, they dont know.
they only get told about releases 2 weeks in advance :roll: idjiots.

sure, i could buy the thing cash through my supplier, but i would much rather get it on a contract.
but, it doesnt look like im going to get anywhere with autopage either :x
funnily enough, Altech autopage seems to have a better selection of phones than going directly MTN or Vodacom. MTN never advertised or had stock of the Touch Viva but autopage was selling it for months. When one of my friends walked into a shop looking for a cover, the sales assistants wanted to know where he got it from because they had never seen or heard of it. :lol: *facepalm*

Same goes for MTN and the Hero. Autopage have stock, MTN don't even have it in their price list. :roll:
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

naughty wrote:
SA dont get all the firmware updates :? just keep that in mind!
im sure thats true enough - but this update is definitely the update as far as this phone is concerned so im sure it will turn up sooner or later - id hate to have to hack the phone just to update it
Changing the product code requires no hacking ;)

And hacking your phone is highly recommended as it allows for installation of third party apps (especially the freeware) with out the fuss of submitting request after request to symbian signed. It also allows for greater customisation of the phone - you can add extra processes, remove unwanted ones, modify screens and menus and much more
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

signsis = sorted!
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

naughty wrote:Image
you sure this is real? Check how they spelled "Carl Zeiss Lens".
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

GreyWolf wrote: you sure this is real? Check how they spelled "Carl Zeiss Lens".
You are right. :( And it looks like it has a QWERTU keyboard! (no Y). Look HERE at the comments below. Bastards!!!
We still have the N900 at least...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
naughty

Post by naughty »

GreyWolf wrote:
naughty wrote:Image
you sure this is real? Check how they spelled "Carl Zeiss Lens".
true - it could be a fake - too many fake bits of info on upcoming phones floating around nowadays :(
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:
GreyWolf wrote: you sure this is real? Check how they spelled "Carl Zeiss Lens".
You are right. :( And it looks like it has a QWERTU keyboard! (no Y). Look HERE at the comments below. Bastards!!!
We still have the N900 at least...
Lolz
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

PureFire wrote:signsis = sorted!
Signsis only works if you have a full functionality cert. And doesn't allow you to change things like start up screen, menu's and such without irritating, memory hungry third party apps ;-)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Another Q...will i hav any problems with upgrades, network settings etc, if i buy a fone from the states and want to use it here??
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

ADT wrote:Another Q...will i hav any problems with upgrades, network settings etc, if i buy a fone from the states and want to use it here??
Yes. The us 3g network is on a different frequency to ours.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Monty wrote:
ADT wrote:Another Q...will i hav any problems with upgrades, network settings etc, if i buy a fone from the states and want to use it here??
Yes. The us 3g network is on a different frequency to ours.
oKAy, but will i manage 2 get one dats on our frequency maybe over there??
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

I doubt it. Why would they sell ones that don't support their 3G network?
ADT

Post by ADT »

Monty wrote:I doubt it. Why would they sell ones that don't support their 3G network?
mmm, i'll send the place a mail, maybe just to confirm...
Spoiler (show)
Prime

Post by Prime »

You realise that you will get less than no warranty if you bring a phone into the country. Nokia's customer service for SA purchased phones is already dreadful.

The few hundred you will save may very well cost you more later. You will probably spend atleast a few hundred making sure it gets here, on import duties and probably won't be able to use some of the features. Just get one locally. :|
ADT

Post by ADT »

Nah dude much cheaper, and no travelling costs, my boss is heading to the states nxt month..., but if they frequency differs from ours im kinda screwed...
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

And rememba i stay in Nam, dunno what the fone is priced over there by you guys but here its around R6500 to 7000...
Spoiler (show)
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

US frequencies are different to he rest of the world.
everyone else uses gsm standards, the americans wanted to be different.
idiots.

you will not get the n97 to work on 3g frequencies anywhere other than the US.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

N97 Phone specs. The N97 has 3G access on standard GSM and N. American frequencies
Prime

Post by Prime »

PureFire wrote:US frequencies are different to he rest of the world.
everyone else uses gsm standards, the americans wanted to be different.
idiots.

you will not get the n97 to work on 3g frequencies anywhere other than the US.
isn't the USA Migrating to GSM?
ADT

Post by ADT »

SykomantiS wrote:N97 Phone specs. The N97 has 3G access on standard GSM and N. American frequencies

Faaack im getting confused now, but hav a look at this link doo_much gave 2 me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_freque ... ode_phones

this basically sez to me that i'll only get 2G reception here bcause of the yanks k A K diferrnt GSM Bands??
Spoiler (show)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

No, ZA uses the 2100MHz range for 3G and HSDPA, afaik, and both the USA and other version of the N97 supports the 2100MHz range.