Server 2003 DNS setup for dnsalias.net address

Discussion and support for the Windows family of operating systems.
GrimStoner

Server 2003 DNS setup for dnsalias.net address

Post by GrimStoner »

Hi

We have a Team Foundation Server setup for source control on a server in our network (small, about 10 computers). I've registered at dnslias.net for dynamic DNS for the router (i.e. mycompany.dnsalias.net points to my current router address). I have also opened a port on the router for our TFS Server, i.e. mycompany.dnsalias.net:8080 points to the internal address 192.168.1.2:8080. This all works fine... From outside, I can access the TFS Server at the dnsalias address, and inside I can access it with it's internal address.

The problem comes in when working outside, then bringing my laptop to the office and connecting directly to our network... Then, the dnsalias address is unresolvable. Instead of trying to figure out why, I thought I'd just add a entry to the DNS server that will intercept the dnsalias address and point it to the server on our network.

Am I correct when I think I have to setup a forward lookup zone for this? i.e. a primary, forward lookup zone for dnsalias.net, add a host to it called mycompany, and then have that point to the router address, which will then redirect me to the internal IP? Or, do I have to make the mycompany record point directly to the TFS Server (I'm not sure about this, as there are other routes on the router as well, i.e. Remote Desktop for a couple of servers)? Or, can I have a record in the dnsalias lookup zone for each port on the same address?