Opera Mini 5 in beta testing

Any software related topics go in here.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Opera Mini 5 in beta testing

Post by Ron2K »

MyBroadband wrote:Opera Mini version 5 is now available for live public beta testing. The new version of the mobile OS offers compatibility with a number of new smart phones, which can take advantage of the new feature set offered.
Rest of article

Interesting that this happens shortly after news breaks that the Firefox mobile browser is (finally) nearing release. Will be interesting to compare, though I suspect that the FF incarnation will struggle to catch up.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Opera Mini 5 in beta testing

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Just installed it about a half an hour ago. So far, it looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of Opera's mobile browser, and this is definitely no exception :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Just installed it about a half an hour ago. So far, it looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of Opera's mobile browser, and this is definitely no exception :D
Does it save your bookmarks?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, it does. It's also got speed dial, which is awesome.

I just HATE the keyboard. You're forced to use it's built in QWERTY keyboard (on my device, at least), which sucks. It doesn't even have an "Enter" key :|
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Excellent, going to download and install now!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Question: How the frik do you delete the current items in speed dial? I can't find an option for it anywhere.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Press and hold them :)

EDIT: Wait a second, I'm not sure if you have a touchscreen device. That's how I did it. Hmmm, can't you just run the cursor or highlight the ones you want to delete and hold the select button in?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Excellent. Thanks. I had another issue, but now I forgot.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

They introduced tabs! Yay!
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

Tabs... AT LAST.

Downloading now^^
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Wow. Opera Mini 5 sounds awesome.

Too bad I can't f****** use it :evil:

I have the old Nokia 6600 (awesome and solid phone) and it's unsupported. Even when I installed it anyways it won't open.

Baskits.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

So, I LOVE the browser, but I freaking HATE the keyboard I'm forced to use :(
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:So, I LOVE the browser, but I freaking HATE the keyboard I'm forced to use :(
Have you tried disabling inline edit? It irritated the hell out of me on my phone as I wasn't able to change the text mode to numbers only.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

WiK1d wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:So, I LOVE the browser, but I freaking HATE the keyboard I'm forced to use :(
Have you tried disabling inline edit? It irritated the hell out of me on my phone as I wasn't able to change the text mode to numbers only.
I did that. Inline edit doesn't support predictive text.

There are a few bugs that bug me (bad pun intended):
1 - random crashes (maybe not so random, as most have happened when I've just finished writing a message or editing text.)
2 - the copy function doesn't work on my phone.
3 - it doesn't read some links properly - links such as "go to first unread post" take me to the second post on the page every time, not to the first unread post.

Also, I find the menu a bit cumbersome. They forgot about the KISS principle, and went too much for big, flashy showing off.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

WiK1d wrote:
I JUST figured that out 2 minutes ago before I came into this thread actually!! Hahahaha!! I was like... "okay wait, inline edit disables my native KB and forces me to use this crappy one... so what if I.. BAM!" Hahahha. So now all is good. Using my own native keyboard just fine :D
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

Whilst waiting for WoW patch 3.2.2 to download I decided to head on over to the forums at my.opera.com to see if anyone else was having a similar problem to what I'm having over here, which was when I noticed the following banner on the Opera home page:

So naturally I downloaded the beta ASAP, and I must admit I'm really impressed, the new layout is quite refreshing and the fact that it now has tabbed support is awesome! :D Will be interesting to see if it loads popups now in a separate tab instead of interfering with whatever page I'm trying to get to.
Monty wrote:They introduced tabs! Yay!
I know! It's freaking awesome! :mrgreen:

Oh, and to edit the Speed Dial buttons select one and press 1 on your keypad. ;)
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

Xiphan wrote:Oh, and to edit the Speed Dial buttons select one and press 1 on your keypad. ;)
Or just select the tab and hold down the middle mutton :wink:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

People don't use the search function anymore before starting new threads :(

Already posted, more than a week ago, here.
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:People don't use the search function anymore before starting new threads :(

Already posted, more than a week ago, here.
This has gotta be your crowning moment of stupidity as your post links back to the first page of this thread, so what exactly is your problem since this isn't a new thread. :lol:

FYI: I always use the search function, which has kind of garnered me a rep for rezzing threads. :oops:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan wrote:This has gotta be your crowning moment of stupidity as your post links back to the first page of this thread, so what exactly is your problem since this isn't a new thread. :lol:
I find it slightly ironic that YOU you have the nerve to call ME stupid, when it was YOU who started a thread, which was merged with this one (which is the thread that I made that post in, BEFORE they were merged), yet , when you seem to be oblivious to the fact that YOU started a thread.

Blows my mind.

In case you've missed all of this. YOU started a thread, my post linked to THIS thread. YOUR thread was then MERGED with this one, which is why my link points to the first page of this thread. Your original thread no longer exists.
Monty
Forum Moderator

Post by Monty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Xiphan wrote:This has gotta be your crowning moment of stupidity as your post links back to the first page of this thread, so what exactly is your problem since this isn't a new thread. :lol:
It blows my mind that YOU you have the audacity to call ME stupid, when it was YOU who started a thread, which was merged with this one (which is the thread that I made that post in, BEFORE they were merged), yet , when you seem to be oblivious to the fact that YOU started a thread.

Blows my mind.

In case you've missed all of this. YOU started a thread, my post linked to THIS thread. YOUR thread was then MERGED with this one, which is why my link points to the first page of this thread. Your original thread no longer exists.
So he quoted me, copied it, created a new thread showing how he found it as well as commenting on my tabs post... That seems like a lot of effort to create a new thread when he would have had to have read this one first...

(and Xiphan's post was already part of this thread when I replied to it...)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Oh my gosh. I was totally wrong. I must have missed the fact that his post was first on the SECOND page :(

Xiphan, totally my bad :( Greatest apologies :(

Man, that pretty much DEFINED fail :(
Xiphan

Post by Xiphan »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Oh my gosh. I was totally wrong. I must have missed the fact that his post was first on the SECOND page :(

Xiphan, totally my bad :( Greatest apologies :(

Man, that pretty much DEFINED fail :(
Lol no worries man, we've all had our fair share of blonde moments. ;) Mine involves me getting banned after performing a search and not knowing which thread to post in, so I went for a hat-trick and posted in all three! :P

What I'd like to know is how you stumbled upon my post, and possibly saw the title of the thread as well, and was led to believe that I'd created another thread with the same title as Ron's thread? :? And speaking of Ron, as he once commented if there was a way to bash a forum post this one would definitely be worth a bash or at least a candidacy for the Epic fail thread! :P

PS: Thanks for about 5 minutes worth of rolling on the floor with laughter. :lol:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Xiphan wrote:What I'd like to know is how you stumbled upon my post, and possibly saw the title of the thread as well, and was led to believe that I'd created another thread with the same title as Ron's thread? :?
Simple. I saw "Opera Mini 5 in beta testing" as the title. Now, after THIS very thread was created, another one was created by one of the PCF guys. So when I came on to the forum and saw THIS thread, I somehow thought it was ANOTHER repost, and when I went in, your post (the first post on page 2) looked like a First post, because it had a pic in and a bunch of text about the browser. I also missed the page numbers, so I thought it was page one, and because I knew that Ron's thread (this one) was RON'S, your post could only be post #1 in a new thread :)

Make sense?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Yo Dae, i'm gonna let you finish, but kb had the worst fail of all time, of all time. ;)