DNS Issues?

Network problem solving and tweaks
-UNSTABLE-

DNS Issues?

Post by -UNSTABLE- »

Right i dont know if this is the right place to post this or if there is another topic but i couldnt be bothered looking for it. Not having much knowledge on these sorts of things i thought i would ask here. Over the past few weeks i have been having latency issues 1000+ (relating to wow) and random disconnects etc .. browsing is slow, receiving sending mail is also a pain but messenger seems to be fine. This all started suddenly and my isp/telkom cant offer any help after many phone calls and fault reports, what ever they have tried so far hasnt worked. I get "No DNS server available" in my routers event log. When i tracert a page such as google.com i get a wall of spam, Request Timed Out and i get the same problem if i ping a ip address or another site. I really have no idea what to do about this anymore, i have tried switching isp's, routers and cables all to no avail. My line has also been checked and they didnt find anything wrong with it.

*EDIT*

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\*****>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.45.100]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: DNS Issues?

Post by Anthro »

Have you tried using a local DNS app ?
I use Fastcache, the way it works is, you set you dns to be primary as 127.0.0.1, then secondary your ISP dns,
then in the app yu set your isp dns's up.. what it does is as you browse your frequent sites it builds up a cache of all dns names and ip addresses - after a while you set your primary dns as just 127.0.0.1 so it looks on your HDD rather than the net (and then obviously if not in your local cache speaks to your dns servers)

Not sure whether this will solve timeouts though, some routers have a section which shows you 'signal noise' type thing for the line .. cant think of it's name now :(
Temporary Absence
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Tracert might not be the best tool to use to check DNS.

You should try nslookup

Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I'm afraid its not your dns. google.com resolves to 74.125.45.100 without any issues. You most likely have a firewall of some kind on, blocking your ICMP therefore ping and tracert don't work. I have found that before. Begin by pinging your gateway of your PC and then disable all the firewall/security settings till you get reply's. Then ping 196.43.1.11. You will have to get replies at some stange, seeing that your dns is going through, so you have enough connectivity even if you have lantency issues.
-UNSTABLE-

Post by -UNSTABLE- »

Well i will give it a try nothing to loose at the moment :( .

Currently my primary and secondary dns's differ by 1 didgit, if i were to use the app and add the 127.0.0.1 as primary which would i use for my isp's dns as secondary, the current primary or secondary (Sorry if that sounds confusing :roll: ) I have very little knowledge of how these things work.

I tried that Nslookup, not really sure what im looking at all though i do get a 1800ms from it.
-UNSTABLE-

Post by -UNSTABLE- »

Well i disabled my Trend Firewall and i got a normal tracert report :roll: , only one time out on the second hop. Just wondering where i go from here seeing as my firewall settings seem to have been changed at some point and i dont want to leave it disabled.
-UNSTABLE-

Post by -UNSTABLE- »

Ok so tried different dns settings and as i said disabled firewall now the time outs are fixed but have come to the conlusion my download rate is sitting at around 40kbps and my upload rate is in the region of 500bytes, thus some thing wrong with my uplink? My isp (which is Polka) says there is nothing wrong from their side, not really sure what the problem can be now, maybe my isp has changed something without knowing or could there be more reasons.

*Triple Post i know.*