SA to release broadband policy soon - Minister

Network problem solving and tweaks
doo_much

SA to release broadband policy soon - Minister

Post by doo_much »

:?
Engineering News wrote:South African Minister of Communication Siphiwe Nyanda on Monday said that the department was finalising South Africa's broadband policy, and would release the document, which would outline government's national broadband strategy, "shortly".

Addressing delegates gathered at the Southern African telecommunications networks and application conference (Satnac) in Swaziland, Nyanda added that the department was also in the process of finalising the national radio frequency spectrum policy.

He noted that there was increasing pressure from individuals demanding integrated, affordable and mobile communications solutions, which, in turn, spurred the need for migration to Internet Protocol (IP) based platforms.

Government sought to employ information and communications technology (ICT) to stimulate socio-economic growth, and thus sought to encourage more sub-marine fibre-optics cables connecting the country to international networks, as well as extending terrestrial fibre-optic networks.

The theme of this year's Satnac conference is ‘Convergence - a 21st century lifestyle enabler', and Nyanda added that convergence would create opportunities for innovation and development in South Africa.

He also noted that South Africa's lack of infrastructure, while often seen as a barrier, was also an opportunity as it meant that there was no need to adapt from aged legacy systems, and could move straight to IP, which also provided opportunities for digital inclusion.

Nyanda said that convergence could "reverse the skills gap", as Voice over IP could be introduced into rural areas for use in education, healthcare and service delivery.

Telkom CEO Reuben September said the company was putting massive investment into making convergence possible. "This takes time," he added.

He said that the convergence of information technology and telecommunications meant that consumers were blurring the lines between fixed and mobile solutions in voice and data. However, he said that the actual uptake of converged services in South Africa has been slow, and the growth, on the fixed-mobile convergence side has been in single digits.

Nyanda said that convergence did, however, pose challenges for regulation, as the Internet was a largely unregulated medium, and whether or not regulations governing telecoms could be applied was questioned. Nyanda said South Africa had merged telecoms and broadcasting regulations, while some countries had included ICT under the same regulation.

Another challenge for convergence was the issue of security of networks, but Nyanda added that the country was determined to "climb the convergence mountain" and overcome the technical barriers associated therewith.

Neotel chief technical officer Angus Hay also noted that convergence onto one single platform, the Internet, had "swept aside much of the good engineering and standardisation of the telecommunications world". However, it was the Internet that was driving services, and needed to be understood, and operators needed to interact with how the Internet works, and benefit from that.

"I don't think policy is going to change that, although we welcome [the policy]. But the need to deliver services to customers is driving technology and convergence," Hay added.

He further stated that regulation of the industry did not actually drive changes, as it tries to control the industry. "Technology is moving faster than regulation is able to move."

Africa Business News COO Gary Alfonso suggested that there was a "massive paralysis" in terms of regulatory deliberation, adding that there was a disconnect in the way that regulators were dealing with the issue of convergence.

"Regulators need to be much more progressive," he stated, and said that regulatory framework decisions should aim at getting all stakeholders, including: governments; regulators; multinational companies; small and medium-sized enterprises; and consumer groups, around the same table.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Re: SA to release broadband policy soon - Minister

Post by doo_much »

More of the same from our august minister....
MOBILE companies are likely to come under pressure from Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda to slash interconnect fees as he pushes to lower the cost of communication in SA.

Nyanda said in an interview on Friday that his priority during his term of office would be to drive down the costs of communication to provide “cheap, affordable and quality” telecommunications.

He had set his sights on unusually high interconnect fees.

The minister has already engaged the companies on fees they charge to connect mobile users calling opposition networks.

“If we can sort out the pricing by mutual agreement, all the better,” Nyanda said.

“If companies can act in such a way that there is no need for regulation, that would be first prize.” But Nyanda said the process had to be managed carefully to avoid perceptions that the government was colluding with telecoms companies.

“If, for example, we say, cut prices by 5c, and they do, some people will feel the difference. But other people will ask, on what basis is the cut made? What does it cost the telecommunication companies to administer calls?” he said.

An open, transparent process was needed for “viable” interconnect fees to be agreed on and termination costs to be brought down as quickly as possible.

Nyanda said he also wanted more investment in communications infrastructure — mobile, fixed-line, internet and satellite — particularly in rural areas. “Information is power, and the priority of government is the development of disadvantaged communities,” he said. Access to communication was an empowering tool.

If necessary, the government would look at giving companies incentives to invest in inaccessible areas, and could also use public- sector institutions such as Sentech to provide infrastructure investment. “If you incentivise the private sector, you are in effect subsidising the people who will receive the service,” he said.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

At least he is attempting something. It beats silence.
How successful he will be remains to be seen, even though the odds are against him achieving anything solid. One can only hope.

Seems his focus is on wireless (3G/HSDPA) cost. I still say that wireless "broadband" is using the term broadband very loosly. Considering the speeds, it is not broadband - not even close.
Although various minimum bandwidths have been used in definitions of broadband, ranging up from 64 kbit/s up to 2.0 Mbit/s[1], the 2006 OECD report[2] is typical by defining broadband as having download data transfer rates equal to or faster than 256 kbit/s, while the United States (US) Federal Communications Commission (FCC) as of 2009, defines "Basic Broadband" as data transmission speeds exceeding 768 kilobits per second (Kbps), or 768,000 bits per second, in at least one direction.
Telkom's entry level DSL service does not meet the US's definition of broadband, allthough it does meet global standards. None of our advertised wireless offerings are meeting true broadband speeds.

That said, making "broadband" in any form available should be first prioroty, over increasing data throughput imo.

/own rant
I live in a medium to entry-level-upper demographic residential area on the west rand... with no Telkom broadband access for anyone because they chose to connect the whole area with fibre, making normal phones available but effectively killing the DSL option. Pathetic.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Sojourn wrote:At least he is attempting something. It beats silence.
How successful he will be remains to be seen, even though the odds are against him achieving anything solid. One can only hope.
+1. This is actually something of a pleasant surprise, imho. Not that I'm overly optimistic about any real achievements, but at least they're talking.

Which, let's face it, our government is pretty good at doing.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Sojourn wrote:Seems his focus is on wireless (3G/HSDPA) cost. I still say that wireless "broadband" is using the term broadband very loosly. Considering the speeds, it is not broadband - not even close.
It is broadband.

My 3G gets me downloads of about 45KB/s on average. That means I have a 364kbps connection.
As you said, that might not be broadband in the US, but as far as the third world goes that is pretty quick. Stop comparing our telecommunications industry with first world countries, you should realise by now that we don't come close :P

I agree with the minister that wireless communication costs need to be better regulated.
I also cannot get DSL in my home due to Telkoms faggotry so I use 3G and I pay through the nose for it. I currently pay R498 for 2.4GB of data per month (at my previously mentioned speed). This needs to come down and be at least comparable to DSL costs for the same bandwidth and data cap.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

jamin_za wrote:
Sojourn wrote:Seems his focus is on wireless (3G/HSDPA) cost. I still say that wireless "broadband" is using the term broadband very loosly. Considering the speeds, it is not broadband - not even close.
It is broadband.

My 3G gets me downloads of about 45KB/s on average. That means I have a 364kbps connection.
As you said, that might not be broadband in the US, but as far as the third world goes that is pretty quick. Stop comparing our telecommunications industry with first world countries, you should realise by now that we don't come close :P

I agree with the minister that wireless communication costs need to be better regulated.
I also cannot get DSL in my home due to Telkoms faggotry so I use 3G and I pay through the nose for it. I currently pay R498 for 2.4GB of data per month (at my previously mentioned speed). This needs to come down and be at least comparable to DSL costs for the same bandwidth and data cap.
Agreed, but just as a note, I'm staying in Belgium till April next year, and the network I'm on doesn't support EDGE or 3G in any form. GPRS only. And then the cost of using gprs is sky-high. Higher than what we pay for in SA per MB. :?

I'm not sure if said network is a startup or what their problem is (and I'm not sure about the other networks here in BE)- but they have excellent coverage everywhere I've been thus far, and free minutes to other same-network numbers, but data packages are up to ****. Just about any network we have back home beats the pants off these guys when it comes to data packages and transfers.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hence my reason for contemplating moving to the UK.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
Sojourn wrote:At least he is attempting something. It beats silence.
+1. This is actually something of a pleasant surprise, imho. Not that I'm overly optimistic about any real achievements, but at least they're talking.

Which, let's face it, our government is pretty good at doing.
We actually approve of something government is (trying) to do. :shock:

Scary part is I thought General Nyanda to be a bit of a dunce when he was chief of the SANDF...

Go figure! :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jamin_za wrote:
It is broadband.

I knew somebody would point this out, but I'll be sticking to my guns.
Wireless-dailup FTL.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Scary part is I thought General Nyanda to be a bit of a dunce when he was chief of the SANDF...
He may still prove to be a bit of a dunce. Let's not rush to conclusions here, shall we?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:He may still prove to be a bit of a dunce. Let's not rush to conclusions here, shall we?
I agree.
He's probably just doing what his advisor's tell him.

We need to give him a few months before we start singing his praises or lamenting his idiocy.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

I read an article today about neotel releasing a up to 15 mbps wireless connection.. i wonder if that would be better than telkom's 4mbps? anyone?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Prime

Post by Prime »

Well Given that most of the major telecoms providers believe we are moving into a digital futre where we will be almost permanently connected to the internet, SA needs to sort out its broadband.

I suspect the ministers comments were prompted as a result of some of the talks/presentations by companies like nokia and neotel at the recent telecoms conference held in SA. it might even have been at SATNAC :)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Hey! They should have named that conference NATSAC. The resulting win might have actually persuaded providers to drop prices.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hennie - dit werk net in Afrikaans.... :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey