Symantec fails checklist

Viruses, hackers and crackers
Sojourn

Symantec fails checklist

Post by Sojourn »

source

That said, symantec responded with an update that fixed the primary cause of failing the test.
* Pass: AhnLab V3 Internet Security, Alwil avast! Professional, AVG Internet Security, Avira AntiVir Professional, CA eTrust ITM, eEye Blink Professional, ESET NOD32 Antivirus, Fortinet FortiClient, Frisk F-PROT antivirus, F-Secure Client Security, F-Secure PSB Workstation Security, G DATA AntiVirus 2010, Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009, Kingsoft Internet Security 2009 Advanced, McAfee Total Security, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, Microsoft Forefront Client Security, MWTI eScan Internet Security Suite, Nifty Corp. Security24, Norman Security Suite, Quick Heal AntiVirus Lite 2009, Sophos Anti-Virus, and Trustport Antivirus 2009.

* Fail: Agnitum Outpost Security Suite Pro (one false positive), CA Internet Security Suite (960 polymorphic viruses misses), Filseclab Twister AntiTrojanVirus (2612 wildlist misses, 38 false positives), Finport Simple Anti-Virus (2897 wildlist misses, two false positives), K7 Total Security Desktop (one false positive), Kingsoft Internet Security 2009 Standard (228 wildlist misses), PC Tools AntiVirus 2009 (1188 wildlist misses, one false positive), PC Tools Internet Security 2009 (1355 wildlist misses, one false positive), PC Tools Spyware Doctor (1355 wildlist misses, one false positive), Rising Internet Security 2009 (43 wildlist misses, one false positive), Symantec Endpoint Protection (two wildlist misses), and VirusBuster Professional (one false positive).
jee

Re: Symantec fails checklist

Post by jee »

where's Trend?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I have e-mailed the guys who run these tests and asked them.
If I get a reply I'll post here.
jee

Post by jee »

Thanks Mr Traveler! much appreciated. :)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So basically all the main stream solutions passed?

So my decision on which AV to get will revolve around usability and price?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

symantec's wares have always been mediocre...
doo_much wrote:So my decision on which AV to get will revolve around usability and price?
not really, as the products which "passed" aren't as equal as it may first appear...

once you have a short list, do some research:
Wilders Security Forums
AV Comparatives
Last edited by rustypup on 17 Aug 2009, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Subject: Trend Micro ?
Date: Mon, August 17, 2009 14:15
To: **************
Cc:

Hi ********

Thanks for your questions.
Security service providers are selected for tests firstly upon their own request (subscriber based) and secondly upon request by the global community.

Trend Micro was tested, but on other platforms and I am happy to say, they passed.
Although they were not tested during the August 2009 Windows Vista SP2 Business Edition runs, I am confident that their product would have passed.

Virus Bulletin

Date: Mon, August 17, 2009 05:15
To: "Virus Bulletin" <webmaster@virusbtn.com>

Hi Mr Webmaster

I have been reading some of your comments and tests on the AV service and
software providers with alot of interest.

My question to you is how do you select who get to be "tested"? Do an AV
service provider contact you voluntarily or do you hand pick a few to be
tested at random?

I am asking because Trend Micro is absent from you August 2009 Windows
Vista SP2 Business Edition test list. As they are fairly high profile I am wondering if you have them lined-up
for a test soon.

Thanks for this service to the global corporate world!

Hoping to hear from you.
jee

Post by jee »

Thanks !