Screen still not right

Any software related topics go in here.
boerenooi

Screen still not right

Post by boerenooi »

Hi guys

I have windows xp and recently I connected an extra monitor to my laptop. When I disconnected it, I changed the settings back to use only the laptops screen, but now sometimes when I open up an app or something, it shoots up to the right to the "extra monitor". What worries me, is that I cannot move my cursor "out of" my primary screen, but my programs open up there.

Can anyone help me to fix this?

thanks

B
Forum Points: 3200
UrBaN

Re: Screen still not right

Post by UrBaN »

Check that the laptop is not still trying to use a second screen. Also, laptops normally have a button on the keyboard to enable/disable the VGA output - have you tried switching that?

What laptop?
to ápeiro anima
boerenooi

Post by boerenooi »

UrBaN wrote:Check that the laptop is not still trying to use a second screen. Also, laptops normally have a button on the keyboard to enable/disable the VGA output - have you tried switching that?

What laptop?
UrBaN, if I go the screen properties, it shows 2 screens (1 and 2) but the second one is greyed out. I dont see a VGA button thing. I have a hp laptop.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Which model HP?

Click on the second screen and see if the box is ticked which says "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor". If it is ticked, untick it.
to ápeiro anima
boerenooi

Post by boerenooi »

UrBaN wrote:Which model HP?

Click on the second screen and see if the box is ticked which says "Extend my Windows Desktop onto this monitor". If it is ticked, untick it.
Its an HP G5000, that box is not ticked.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Do you have a blue "Intel Graficks Media Accelerator Driver for moble" in your tasks tray (by the clock).
If you mouse-over you will get the info.

If you have that (or any other hardware propriety grafix software) - right click on it and see if you get option about dual-displays etc etc in there.
boerenooi

Post by boerenooi »

Sojourn wrote:Do you have a blue "Intel Graficks Media Accelerator Driver for moble" in your tasks tray (by the clock).
If you mouse-over you will get the info.

If you have that (or any other hardware propriety grafix software) - right click on it and see if you get option about dual-displays etc etc in there.
Yes I have that, but I see no settings for dual display.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Even if you right click the button ?
boerenooi

Post by boerenooi »

yes, i right clicked too. Right click gives me the same menu as left click.
boerenooi

Post by boerenooi »

my windows open up to the right "outside" of my laptop screen, but my cursor cant go there. Many times I cant get the window back to my main screen.
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

quick google search
If you’ve ever hooked up your laptop to a secondary monitor and then disconnected without remembering to move the windows back to the primary desktop, you’ve probably encounted this problem:

The application is running. You can see it in the taskbar, but you can’t see it on the screen, because it still thinks it’s running on the secondary monitor. You try and use right-click, Move, but that doesn’t do anything, and the window doesn’t move anywhere. You end up rebooting and cursing Microsoft.

There’s a simple trick to get around this. First make sure you’ve alt-tabbed to the window, or clicked on it once to bring it into focus. Then right-click on the taskbar and choose Move

At this point, you should notice that your cursor changes to the “Move” cursor, but you still can’t move anything.

Just hit any one of the arrow keys (Left, Right, Down, Up), move your mouse, and the window should magically “pop” back onto the screen.

Note: For keyboard savvy people, you can just alt-tab to the window, use Alt+Space, then M, then Arrow key, and then move your mouse.

This should work on any version of Windows. It’s really amazing how many people are not aware of this little trick.
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?
boerenooi

Post by boerenooi »

OMG Abatis, YOU ARE THE BEST. That keyboard trick works so well!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!
Abatis

Post by Abatis »

:wink:
What does man fear most? That no one will understand him, or that someone truly might?