Razer Mouse soaked in wine :-(

Any hardware related topics go here.
MetalPaw

Razer Mouse soaked in wine :-(

Post by MetalPaw »

Hey people. I have a Razer Copperhead mouse and I wanted to know if you guys know if it can be submerged in water. I know it's a pretty stupid question and I think I know the answer, but the thing is that someone messed wine on it and the only reason I know this is cause I can smell the wine on the mouse, and now my right-click button doesn't click like it should. It clicks, but it doesn't have the 'bounce' or resistance that the button should. The left-click is still fine, but the right-click is messed. Could I submerge the mouse in warm water the try and get rid of the wine, or will I just screw up everything.
[It may be a stupid question, but please, don't give me stupid answers....]

Edit: I feels like the sugar from the wine is holding the button down, so that it doesn't spring back up.
Last edited by MetalPaw on 30 Jun 2009, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.
I have pledged my soul and being to the darkness and the god of death. Anubis, open your arms and welcome me at last to the Three Regions! But if My Lord will not do so...Anubis, My Lord, grant me the strength to move on from this place...
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Razer

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Why don't you just open it up and clean it?

Also, you may want to change your title to something a little more descriptive :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
MetalPaw

Re: Razer Mouse Help Please

Post by MetalPaw »

I've look at it and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how I'm supposed to open it. That's why I'm asking. :(
I have pledged my soul and being to the darkness and the god of death. Anubis, open your arms and welcome me at last to the Three Regions! But if My Lord will not do so...Anubis, My Lord, grant me the strength to move on from this place...
SykomantiS

Re: Razer

Post by SykomantiS »

You don't happen to know anyone with a Razer pro tools kit, or maybe own one yourself? Opening the mouse up with that would be your best bet for cleaning it up.

I would not bet money on your Copperhead surviving a bath. Maybe if you try a non-conducting liquid like those de-rusting spray cans? Like Spanjaard (black and yellow can) it's a lubricating moisture displacement agent, or some fancy stuff like that.
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

I don't know anyone else with a Razer, and when I bought the mouse there was not a Pro Tools kit in sight. :(

I'll have a look in the stores to see if I can find something like that.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ask for a non-conducting aerosol. Like I said, the Spanjaard brand specifically is a black and yellow can. Maybe you can even use Q20 or WD-40, though I can't tell you if they are conducting or not- just make sure of that.
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

Alright, cool. Any chance you would know where I could find them? Cause I doubt that Incredible Connection has, they always so useless. :/
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Nu-uh, hardware store. Electrical contact cleaner, methinks. Just ask by name, or explain what I said, they should know what you want.
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

Alright, thank you.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

My pleasure. Good luck.

Just to think about it, what I would do if I caught someone doing that to my Razer. :evil:

Edit: Let us know how it goes.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Any luck with this ?
Vampyre_2099

Re: Razer Mouse soaked in wine :-(

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

otherwise soak it in HOT water, not boiling just very warm. then leave the mouse to dry for a couple of days
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Logically - it will only be a problem for electronic appliances WHEN THEY ARE PLUGGED IN and submersed in water
Remember, just as long as you dry it out the water will not damage the mouse, if in doubt about any leftover moisture, spray some Q20 ? and then blow dry (low heat / use a compressor)
Temporary Absence
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

... Razer pro tools kit ...
A toolkit? For a mouse? That's sad...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Anthropoid wrote:Logically - it will only be a problem for electronic appliances WHEN THEY ARE PLUGGED IN and submersed in water
Remember, just as long as you dry it out the water will not damage the mouse, if in doubt about any leftover moisture, spray some Q20 ? and then blow dry (low heat / use a compressor)
Not so logical. Electronic devices have capacitors- these can store charge even when the device is unplugged, and even then can cause a short and thus damage the device. Whether the mouse contains caps that can store that much charge is another story, but it's best not to tempt fate when other options are available.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Have a look here for a guide to dismantling a copperhead.

SykomantiS, is that a cap sticking its little head out there? :lol:

MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

That would be one, yes :D
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

Well, we couldn't figure out how to open the mouse, so I went to a computer store and they said if I'm going to use water, use distilled water because there is no chemicals or electrolytes that can short-circuit the mouse. Apparently, in theory, you can submerge any mouse in distilled water, plug it in and it will work normally. But now that doo_much has so kindly provided me with that lovely guide, I can now take the mouse apart and clean it. Thank you eveyone for your trouble and help.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, distilled water yes, or any non-conduction liquid for that matter. Tap water, however, isn't one of those...

Again, good luck with the mouse. :)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

MetalPaw wrote:Well, we couldn't figure out how to open the mouse, so I went to a computer store and they said if I'm going to use water, use distilled water because there is no chemicals or electrolytes that can short-circuit the mouse. Apparently, in theory, you can submerge any mouse in distilled water, plug it in and it will work normally. But now that doo_much has so kindly provided me with that lovely guide, I can now take the mouse apart and clean it. Thank you eveyone for your trouble and help.

No trouble - I have no knowledge of my own other than my knowledge of Google... :mrgreen:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

SykomantiS wrote:Well, distilled water yes, or any non-conduction liquid for that matter. Tap water, however, isn't one of those...

Wouldn't the muck in your mouse make the liquid conductive anyway?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

doo_much wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:Well, distilled water yes, or any non-conduction liquid for that matter. Tap water, however, isn't one of those...

Wouldn't the muck in your mouse make the liquid conductive anyway?
:lol: good point :wink:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Depends- only if it's soluble.

Edit- and I think salty in nature, but don't quote me on that.
MetalPaw

Post by MetalPaw »

Hey people.
Well, I opened the mouse and guess what I saw.... Wine all over the circuit boards. :/ So I basically have to get distilled water now, but when I look, all I find is sparkling and mineral. There is the Bonaqua that says "still" on the bottle, but I don't know if that is distilled water....
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

it isn't. You need distilled water from a water distiller...or a chemist.
to ápeiro anima