Network course

Network problem solving and tweaks
jee

Network course

Post by jee »

Morning Collective Brain,

I need a short course that is not too technical dealing with networks - how the LAN, WAN works, peer-peer, wireless, setting up printers, working with a server in a small setup, VPNs.

Anyone know of something like this that I can look at?

Ta

j
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Network course

Post by Nuke »

I'm afraid that WAN, VPN, and wireless are all very big fields, that no short course will have alot of detail on. But a CCENT or Network+ course will be the best IMO.
jee

Post by jee »

Nuke, I need a sort of two day thingie for my staff. Can't afford to send them on anything more advanced or longer - we just don't have the time. Its more the type of thing that will take it all together and explain what it is and the rudimentary workings - nothing too technical. With the new system and our projects, the simple network support that we did is expanding. Also, we find that IT departments that we work with in some instances are either non-existent, so busy or not willing to help. I need them to understand all the different architecture that we are going to be working with.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Whoa, that's a lot for two days though jee. If your staff aren't IT savvy people, all that stuff in two days is going to floor them.

I honestly think CCENT is a bit overkill for this (sorry nuke :P ). N+ should be more than sufficient, but I doubt you can do N+ in two days (unless you've been in IT for many years).
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

jee - am I correct in assuming that these people are not going to be managing the networks? You just want them to know what they are - how to work with them and how to add printers when necessary? (basic troubleshooting) If so, you could just get a customised course where the lecturer will come to your site and give a discussion / demonstration. It would be best in your environment so that they will learn your setup. Most network lecturers can do this. If this is what you need - I can ask around. I know a few lecturers that do this sort of thing.
jee

Post by jee »

Tribbs, thanks! That is what i need. We deal with a fair number of IT related support queries apart from the software support that we provide, and with all the different set-ups I need them to know the basics. N+ I think would be too advanced - if they are interested in that, they have to pursue that in their own time. It might take a tad longer than the two days (not more than 4), and having someone to customise a course for us will be marvelous! (preferably if they are in Durbs!)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I will pass the information on to the people who I think can help. They have trainers countrywide so I am sure there will be no trouble finding someone in your area.