Conflicting Wireless Network speeds

Network problem solving and tweaks
Prime

Conflicting Wireless Network speeds

Post by Prime »

Hi guys, I am getting 2 conflicting speeds for my wireless connection.

Windows XP tells me that it is connected at 54Mbits/s
Netgear's software tells me its connected at 216Mbits/s.

Which speed is correct and how do I fix the one being deviant? :?

I've taken a picture of my networking configuration. (off screen are Client for Microsoft Networks, Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP))

Thanks in advance.
SykomantiS

Re: Conflicting Wireless Network speeds

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, looks to be a draft-n adapter, but what are you connected to? Most access points at this point in time probably aren't draft-n so it would be my guess that you're connected at 54 (maybe 108 max but since that isn't one of the speeds stated it's not likely). If however your access point is draft-n (and broadcasting in draft-n) then I would say it's 216.

So basically check the connection speed of whatever you are connecting to, if you can do that.
Prime

Post by Prime »

SykomantiS wrote:Well, looks to be a draft-n adapter, but what are you connected to? Most access points at this point in time probably aren't draft-n so it would be my guess that you're connected at 54 (maybe 108 max but since that isn't one of the speeds stated it's not likely). If however your access point is draft-n (and broadcasting in draft-n) then I would say it's 216.

So basically check the connection speed of whatever you are connecting to, if you can do that.
Sorry, should have included that, our router is a Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router (WNR2000) and our adaptors are Wireless-N 300 USB 2.0 Adapters (WN111)

So afaik, our router is 300 Mbits/s :)

Edit: Basically, our entire network is draft N (I did not see the point of mixing standards when I researched and purchased the stuff)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Check what standard it's using to broadcast, and force it to draft-n if possible, if it's already broadcasting at draft-n speeds then I would say it's XP that needs to get its head re-examined :) Maybe check for a hotfix on draft-n errors from MS?

Also, do a copy/speed test to see what speeds you actually achieve. Even if Xp or the program reads the connection speed wrong you can still determine the actual speed.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Afaik, it automatically goes to N. :? (how do I check?) I don't see an option within netgear smartwizard window)

It is set to go up to 300Mbit/s.

I'm downloading the latest Netgear software for my adaptor.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2603 is what I have
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Log into your access point (it's a router?) And check what the router uses as transfer mode. It should display somewhere under the general settings of the router. Then it's obvious that your adapter will reply using the same channel/draft/technology/medium that the router uses (I'm unsure what you call it. sometimes I confuse myself :? )

And, like I said, network copy test.
Prime

Post by Prime »

SykomantiS wrote:Log into your access point (it's a router?) And check what the router uses as transfer mode. It should display somewhere under the general settings of the router. Then it's obvious that your adapter will reply using the same channel/draft/technology/medium that the router uses (I'm unsure what you call it. sometimes I confuse myself :? )

And, like I said, network copy test.
How do I do the copy test? (will try log into the router later :) )
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, just copy something from pc to pc. :? Use a copy program like totalcopy/copyhandler or such that shows you your copy rate, just check if it's in megabits/second or megabytes per second, then compare to your link speed(s). If you can copy at your drive's max/average speed (or basically above 7MB/s (54mbps = 6.75MB/s)), chances are it's not a 54mbps connection. Simple really.
Prime

Post by Prime »

SykomantiS wrote:Well, just copy something from pc to pc. :? Use a copy program like totalcopy/copyhandler or such that shows you your copy rate, just check if it's in megabits/second or megabytes per second, then compare to your link speed(s). If you can copy at your drive's max/average speed (or basically above 7MB/s (54mbps = 6.75MB/s)), chances are it's not a 54mbps connection. Simple really.
ok, shall give it a bash. :D will it at all be affected by the speed of the connection on the other machine?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yes, it wil. If the other machine is connected at a lower speed then a copy test won't help.