Trouble installing Dlink Dir-300 router

Network problem solving and tweaks
Qrox

Trouble installing Dlink Dir-300 router

Post by Qrox »

I just bought a dlink dir-300 router to enable a few computers at home to connect to the internet. The internet I am using is Iburst. I am following the onscreen wizzard to install the router but it keeps getting connection errors. I don't know how I am supposed to connect to the internet if I haven't yet set up the router... I decided to connect with another Internet connection and then the I can continue with the wizard but I still can't get past the last stage where it is enabling and restarting the network. Also heard from someone that it might be a a vista problem. Anyone have any ideas and/or suggestions?
[Thermaltake Shark case] [Gigabyte Z68AP-D3] [Intel 2500k OC @ 4Ghz] [8Gb DDR3 1600 Ram] [MSI GTX670 Power Editon] [Seagate 3.55TB Total] [20x Sony Dvd Wrighter] [Thermaltake 700w Powersupply] [Samsung 27" LCD Monitor] [Windows 8 Professional 64bit]
SykomantiS

Re: Trouble installing Dlink Dir-300 router

Post by SykomantiS »

Last time I had any type of connection problems with iburst (aside from signal strength or username/password errors) was because the mtu was set to an incorrect size. (I think it was the mtu :scratch: ) so check that. Just don't ask me what it's supposed to be, I forgot.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

You connecting via wireless then? I have had countless headaches trying to get vista to connect to wireless networks.

Try connecting the router via hard cable to a computer. Login through its IP address and do your setup. Then manually setup the wireless connection on the vista computer. Try that.
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

This is a image of the router form the back. I plugged my Iburst into gray port and my computer into the number one slot of the blue ports. Hope this helps to let you guys know how my computer and modem are plugged in (ps. not using any of the wireless functions)
[Thermaltake Shark case] [Gigabyte Z68AP-D3] [Intel 2500k OC @ 4Ghz] [8Gb DDR3 1600 Ram] [MSI GTX670 Power Editon] [Seagate 3.55TB Total] [20x Sony Dvd Wrighter] [Thermaltake 700w Powersupply] [Samsung 27" LCD Monitor] [Windows 8 Professional 64bit]
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Yea that's right. I have also seen on Linksys routers that if you plug your broadband cable (WAN) into one the LAN ports it sometimes works. Strange but true.

Your computer should then receive an IP Address. Log into the web interface and make your configurations.
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

So you're saying I should try plugging both cables into the blue ports?
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Qrox wrote:So you're saying I should try plugging both cables into the blue ports?
Only if it doesn't work in the grey one. Its not supposed to but as I said I've seen work on a few Linksys routers. Had me stumped.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ok, wait, so you can't log into the router to configure the thing? Is it set to assigning ip's? Do you know the default range to use a static ip until you can reconfigure the router? Or can you log into the router but can't connect to the net? Which is it?
Qrox

Post by Qrox »

Don't know what happened but I took Koko_lion's tip and put both in the blue ports, connected another internet connection and somehow finished the setup... Don't know how the hell but I did manage. Thx a lot. (Note to self: Don't format for at least a year and a half.... {I'm going to kick myself since i'll prob only be able to last a month or so without formating>.<})