DVD Index Project

Questions, comments, suggestions, flames about the magazine? Here's the place.
alliesmeister

DVD Index Project

Post by alliesmeister »

Hi guys!

After advice from Madmax1 I have decided to restart the whole PCFormat CD/DVD Index Project through using CD Library 1.4. I believe through using CD Library the whole process will simplify the whole process as well as making the search for a specific file easier.

I have also decided to rather post updates and the continuosly updated links to new catalog files at the following location which is dedicated to the PCF DVD Index.

The new location is: http://pcfdvdindex.blogspot.com/

From now on you can post any feedback, comments or suggestions at the bottom of the blog.
Last edited by alliesmeister on 25 Aug 2009, 21:45, edited 68 times in total.
Prime

Re: DVD Index Project

Post by Prime »

I'll help where i can, when i hit the holidays. I have various disks from may 2003 onward.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

Cool! IReally want to make this happen... :D
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

We can actually get up a website with search facilities. Then you can also go into a games category and select a game and it will have place for a couple of comments, The details of the disk is was published on and such.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:We can actually get up a website with search facilities. Then you can also go into a games category and select a game and it will have place for a couple of comments, The details of the disk is was published on and such.
That would be really thorough & awesome! :mrgreen:
But unfortunately I think that will only stay a dream.

I certainly wouldn't mind and maybe when the project is finished (meaning we have as many of the issues' dvds' covered as possible) we can ask for it to be added to the montlhy dvd.

Although it would be much better to have it on a website where it can be continuosly updated.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Ron2K, May we have a section on the site for this? Or at least a link. I would be willing to host the site myself if it comes to it if we can only get a place somewhere with a dedicated link saying something in the lines of PCFormat Cover Disc Content or something in those lines.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

Also, do you guys think it's necessary for me to list all of the apps?

It would take much less time if I only listed Full Products & Game Demos & Patches & Mods...

EDIT: I have decided for at least now... to list EVERYTING (Apps, Games, Demos, Add-ons, In the Mag Workshops etc.) on the disc, therefore if you do provide info of a disc's content, please browse the disc in Windows Explorer to check for extra content. This is especially the case with the magazine issues that contain DVD's. The old CD issues mostly had all the content mentioned on the back of the CD cover, except of course for Mars Collection & Cammie's Collection... :mrgreen:
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

Hi again all you peeps!

I just saw that the v1.02 file has been downloaded a few times by people and as such would like to ask people to reply to this topic & post their thoughts after they have downloaded it. So that I can see if there are people who would appreciate and use a *finished* version of the DVD Index Project. I also I want to ask anyone that is willing to help and support this project to contact me.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

UPDATE
-----------------

It seems that from Issue 117 to Issue 119 there is a .txt file on both sides of the cover DVD listing the contents of that side of the DVD. (Screenshot below.) The path of the .txt file is:
"D:\"

This will help to simplify & speed up the updating of the DVD INDEX, BUT unfortunately not all of the disc's contents is always listed there for eg. the 3D NOT has it's contents only listed as '3D NOT!' Therefore the .txt file cannot only be copied & pasted, but it should be used as a supplement to Windows Explorer & the DVD's cover.

ANOTHER UPDATE :-)
-----------------

From Issue 120 (March 2007) the disc contents .txt file is stored in the following path on the DVD:

"D:\Menus\Source\Menu_Items.txt"
Madmax1

Post by Madmax1 »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:We can actually get up a website with search facilities. Then you can also go into a games category and select a game and it will have place for a couple of comments, The details of the disk is was published on and such.

There is a freeware program "CD Library" that will catalog all the files and dirs into a library. You can then search the library - even with partial names and it will spit out all the disks that contain the specified files. Been using it for a couple of years and never want to be without it. Maybe you can add it on the next cover dvd.
Can't remember where I got it, but a google should solve that.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

Thanks for the tip! :-)

I have found cd library at the following location:
http://wareseeker.com/download/cd-libra ... rar/349568

and I'm going to start cataloging the PCF dvds with it and I'll post the updates here...

Anyone who wants to help me is more than welcome.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

Hi guys!

After advice from Madmax1 I have decided to restart the whole PCFormat CD/DVD Index Project through using CD Library 1.4. I believe through using CD Library the whole process will simplify the whole process as well as making the search for a specific file easier.

I have also decided to rather post updates and the continuosly updated links to new catalog files at the following location which is dedicated to the PCF DVD Index.

The new location is: http://pcfdvdindex.blogspot.com/

From now on you can post any feedback, comments or suggestions at the bottom of the blog.
WEkron

Post by WEkron »

HI I stumbled into your blog and seems like I have some good news for you as I have 90% (should be 100% "people who never return your stuff" :roll: ) of the CD/DVD's since issue 1 (I still have most of the mags to)

If you can post a list of missing issues I will spend some time this weekend to index them for you...

Regards
Werner Ekron
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

WEkron wrote:HI I stumbled into your blog and seems like I have some good news for you as I have 90% (should be 100% "people who never return your stuff" :roll: ) of the CD/DVD's since issue 1 (I still have most of the mags to)

If you can post a list of missing issues I will spend some time this weekend to index them for you...

Regards
Werner Ekron
Hi Werner!

You can find a list of the missing issues here (on the blog):

http://pcfdvdindex.blogspot.com/2009/08 ... ssues.html

After you have indexed whatever issues you have, just upload them to any site and provide me with the links. I will then download them and upload them to dvdindex.4shared.com.

Regards :)
Albert Kruger
WEkron

Post by WEkron »

Ok you can find the Following in a zip file at www.ekron.co.za/pcf

PCFormat Issue:
1,7,32,33,34,36,38,40,41,42,43,43 (43 Misprint on CD should be 31 August 2000),44,45,46,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,75,76,77,78,79,80,85,89,90,91

as for the rest they are here somewhere... I will search for them....

But hows the Issue 1 and the misprint on August 2000 (could we call them collectors editions?)

Cheers
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

Okay, cool thanks. I'll upload it a bit later when I find the time.
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

WEkron wrote:Ok you can find the Following in a zip file at http://www.ekron.co.za/pcf

PCFormat Issue:
1,7,32,33,34,36,38,40,41,42,43,43 (43 Misprint on CD should be 31 August 2000),44,45,46,58,59,60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,75,76,77,78,79,80,85,89,90,91

as for the rest they are here somewhere... I will search for them....

But hows the Issue 1 and the misprint on August 2000 (could we call them collectors editions?)

Cheers
Any idea about the date for Issue 1's cd? (It won't make that much difference - just curious..)