Anybody attempted a Linux From Scratch project?

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
mina.magpie

Anybody attempted a Linux From Scratch project?

Post by mina.magpie »

I've only really been comfortably into Linux for a few months now, but I've been advised by a friend online that the best way to really get to grips with internals and admin is to do an LFS. It seems a bit daunting though, so I was wondering if anybody had tried Linux From Scratch, or better yet, had put together their own distro from scratch, and if so, if there's any advice you could share before I get cracking on this. Ill probably be bugging y'all with lots of witless noob questions as this progresses.

Thanks lots,

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
Vampyre_2099

Re: Anybody attempted a Linux From Scratch project?

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

I don't see how a LFS project will cause you to learn linux any more than using linux everyday for work,play and entertainment.

I personally use linux at home and at work and yes, there are things I don't know, but if I do ever need to know them then I will learn about them.

Installing linux from command line and configuring it as you go along (Gentoo, Slackware, Arch and crew) ends up causing you to learn what you doing. I currently run Arch Linux, which you install from the command line and it requires you to configure most of your system. You end up learning quite a lot
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Vampyre_2099 wrote:I don't see how a LFS project will cause you to learn linux any more than using linux everyday for work,play and entertainment.

I personally use linux at home and at work and yes, there are things I don't know, but if I do ever need to know them then I will learn about them.

Installing linux from command line and configuring it as you go along (Gentoo, Slackware, Arch and crew) ends up causing you to learn what you doing. I currently run Arch Linux, which you install from the command line and it requires you to configure most of your system. You end up learning quite a lot
Hence my like for Gentoo
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Cool beans.

Maybe I should dig out those old Slackware discs I never ended up using.

I would love to eventually get to a point where I can cobble together my own distro though.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

mina.magpie wrote:Cool beans.

Maybe I should dig out those old Slackware discs I never ended up using.

I would love to eventually get to a point where I can cobble together my own distro though.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Mina.
If you go back to the linux section in this forum , right underneath your post how to install slax to HDD from whith in slax.

I chose to use slax cus LFS is a bit too hectic! Slax is based on slackware just easier to use
I'm trying to build my own user friendly asterisk distribution to turn a normal PC into a VOIP appliance

I'm also going to try and use xamp to make my own UI to manage asterisk.

But anyway yes I have tried LFS, in a virtual machine, its too much
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Oooh. I didn't know about Slax. I had a look at the website, and this seems to be a good first step. Thanks SBSP! I might give this a try.

Mina.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

mina.magpie wrote:I've only really been comfortably into Linux for a few months now, but I've been advised by a friend online that the best way to really get to grips with internals and admin is to do an LFS. It seems a bit daunting though, so I was wondering if anybody had tried Linux From Scratch, or better yet, had put together their own distro from scratch, and if so, if there's any advice you could share before I get cracking on this. Ill probably be bugging y'all with lots of witless noob questions as this progresses.

Thanks lots,

Mina.
If you are really interested, I can introduce you to some online friends who are truly Linux experts and have done this before. Let me know.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Judas

Post by Judas »

mina.magpie wrote:I've only really been comfortably into Linux for a few months now, but I've been advised by a friend online that the best way to really get to grips with internals and admin is to do an LFS. It seems a bit daunting though, so I was wondering if anybody had tried Linux From Scratch, or better yet, had put together their own distro from scratch, and if so, if there's any advice you could share before I get cracking on this. Ill probably be bugging y'all with lots of witless noob questions as this progresses.

Thanks lots,

Mina.
I set up a LFS system waaay back in the day. It's time consuming and frustrating, but by the end of it you'll have a pretty good understanding of how all of the bits and pieces of a Linux system fit together, more so than you'd learn from Gentoo or Slackware. That said, I don't think that kind of detailed knowledge is necessary if you're just going to be using Linux and not rolling your own distros.

One major stumbling block to watch out for if you are going to give LFS a shot: make sure you get the temporary toolchain right. I remember battling to get my toolchain working properly for about a week; any mistakes will result in your packages breaking in new and interesting ways and inexplicable build errors. So follow the LFS guide to the letter, and ideally if you understand why one of the steps are necessary try to find out. (Feel free to give me a shout if you need help.)
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D